Underage Marriage in NC?

My boyfriend is 17 years old and I'm 14. We live in North Carolina. We both have been thinking about getting married for a long time, and really want to make that next step. We have been together for a long time. I consider him my husband even if we are not legally married. I'm not looking for advice and why I shouldn't get married, I've been through a lot in my life and he's been through it with me. I am definetly mature enough for this. I know we will have to get our parents consent. Can we get married at 14 and 17 in North Carolina?

Most Helpful Guy

• Respect young lady!

If you're both mature and ready for it then go for it. If teens can have sex outside of wedlock, why can't you get married to someone you love?
    There's nothing wrong with it!

• There has only been two positive comments! Thanks!

• My mother supports my decisions. She really likes him, and his family really likes me.

• If its right for you then do it!

Most Helpful Girl

• Not unless you're pregnant. You have to be at least 16 otherwise.

• But the age of consent is 16. Would he go to jail if I didn't want to get married?

• I'm not sure. But please please PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY don't get pregnant just so you can get married!

• Oh no I'm not stupid! I would never do that!

What Guys Said 15

• My first thought would be how will this under aged guy support you? Where will you two be living? At family or friends I presume being he prolly isn't working anywhere , and if he is does his income provide stability for you both. Take an old mans advice and slow down a bit. If your love for each other is what you say it is , it will withstand the test of time. Both of you should finish your education first of all that within its self will aid in stableizing your relationship and give you both a better chance at financial independence and stability

• That was not the question, and we do have that figured out. He does work.

• I asked if it was legal. Not if you thought that it was right or we of or if I should do it.

• No info. Check with justic of the peace

• Even if you feel you will stay together forever, you still need to wait until you're at least out of highschool.
    When i was 14 i was in love with someone too and I KNEW we were going to be together forever and that we were going to get married and have a family, but it didn't work out. And that happens to a lot of 14 year olds in relationships, so i really suggest you wait until you're older.

• You are almost certainly not mature enough for this. You both need to finish high school at least before even thinking about marriage. I'm assuming you are sexually active. I hope you are on birth control. If you are not then you are definitely not mature enough for marria

• That was not the question. And my sex life certainly has nothing to do with anyone else. I'm not stupid I am on birth control.

• I wouldn't recommend marriage even if you where 24. And no, you have to be 16 to get married.
    media4.giphy.com/media/tq4PuoUVgsK9q/200.gif

• I could get married at 14. And the rest of that is not my question.

• Only with a court order.

• Hey, just because the ancient Egyptians got married at 14 doesn't mean you have to!

• Of course I don't have to.

• I'm sorry, just "how long" have u been thinking about marriage?

• Marriage is better than adultery. Go for it if your law allows it.

• Did u even hit puberty? 😕😕

• Girls usually go through puberty at the age of 9. Sometimes even younger than that.

• I have had a lot of experience with life. I've had to fend for myself much of my life.

• Trust me u didn't get much experience kiddo , u r realise if u got married u won't be married for a long time and then u will regret it

• Yeah you'll regret that in a few years. And I don't think you can.

• Why not wait until 18.

• Such an obvious troll loloololol

• This is either a troll or the most fucked up question so far.

• How is it fucked up?

• How so?

• You don't know how to handle life. Nobody knows how to handle life at 14. Or 15. Or 17 for that matter.

• thinking about getting married for a long time...

I mean from Born

• lmfao u are so lame

• Lmfao it gremmer scks

• It was easy to Google: www.montylaw.com/.../marriage-laws.aspx

Mature enough at 14? ROFLMAO :D :D :D

• The marriage of minors between the ages of 14-16 must also be authorized by a district court. The court can authorize an underage marriage if the court determines that the minor is capable of assuming the responsibilities of marriage and that the marriage will be in the minor's best interests. If the minor's parents oppose his or her marriage, then it is presumed that it would not be in the minor's best interests to marry.

What Girls Said 13

• Anybody else hearing shot guns and banjos? No? Just me? Weeeeeeeeird.

• ... oookayy...
    This is the 21st century. People as young as you don't get married in America. Sure, you may think you're mature enough, but I guarantee you that there's still a heck of a lot more to come. I've been through a heck of a lot myself as a young kid til now. I even wanted to use marriage to a 30 something yr old divorce with a 7 yr old daughter as an escape from my crazy life. I was 19 and dumb at the time. Even though I genuinely wanted to be a mother, I knew inside myself that I truly wasn't ready. Plus, my mom would have killed me. Anyway, the divorce' and I went our separate ways. And I was relieved.
    I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I'm just advising you to not use this as an one way ticket to what you believe is a happily ever after. It doesn't work like that. If you and your boyfriend truly love each other, you'll wait it out until you both are much older, already truly experienced, and even more mature than u think y'all are now. Trust me.

• You've been thinking about it for a long time? You're only 14, doesn't seem like a long time. Tell how long have you two been together.

I know you said that you guys don't want to hear people telling you why you shouldn't get married but hey you shouldn't get married. That is way too young. You feel like you're already married but do you know what it takes to be married, it's not just love, there's legal stuff and money that you need to support your family. Heck I'm 19 and I would be crazy to think about stuff like that

• You've been thinking about it for "a long time" ? You're fourteen. You're too young to get married. It doesn't matter how mature you think you are, you are still a child.

• Wait at lease when your done college and see where you two are and chances are if he goes to college he probably leave you for a college girl not trying to sound harsh.

• That was not the question.

• What we plan in our lives is the same, where we want to be, live, etc. We have very many things we have in common, and he is ultimately my best friend. I dot trust a lot if people, and neither does he. We have grown up with each other, and we love each other. He helped me get out of depression, and he helped me stop cutting myself. I helped him stop too. He's supported me and helped me more than anyone else in my whole life has.

• Interesting I guess do what you want if it was a mistake that you have to carry that mistake for the rest of your life good luck to you and I wasn't trying to be a bitch to you I was just being honest.

• Don't! Your brain isn't fully developed until you're almost 25! Please wait until you're 18 at least. If you get married too young, your chances of divorce sky-rocket!

• That was not the question.

• I've had to take care of myself for a long time. I think I can handle my own decisions, thank you.

• I don't care how long you have taken care of yourself. I raised myself mostly too. It has nothing to do with taking care of yourself, it has to do with wisdom. It is very unwise to get married under the age 18, and your chances of divorce increase dramatically. I am telling you wisdom here, you can take it or leave it. But remember my words.

• you are mentally, physically, and emotionally nowhere near ready for marriage. you're 14! you're a kid! be a kid!

• That was not the question.

• I don't know if you can but DONT Trust me just DONT!

• You kids are also going through hormonal stages. If you feel that confident wait another four years.

• may i know how long you have been in together?

• As a couple 4 years, as friends all our lives.

• You have a point. I mean, he already feels like my husband even if he isn't legally.

• that's enough

• You can get married at the age of 14 with legal parental consent in the state of North Carolina. However, getting married at your age is a bad idea. Keep your childhood while you can. Think of him as your future husband, current boyfriend. Not present husband. I know you both may think you are mature enough to make this decision, but ten years from now, you'll look back and say "I had no idea". Mark my words.
    but I know you'll disregard those words, so look at it this way. Where will you live? How will you support yourselves while in school? If your answer has anything to do with friends or relatives, you're not ready for marriage. Period. Marriage is for independent, self supporting adults.

• *at the age of 14 if you're pregnant.
      *one party must be at least 18 years of age.

• Look kid, it's pretty clear you think you're 100% right and will disregard any sound logic regarding this situation, so I have one final thought: if you do it, don't say we didn't warn you.

Dear everyone else:
      Don't waste your time or energy attempting to save this young girl from her foolish desires. Her immaturity will not allow her to accept any realistic thoughts concerning such a monumental life decision.

• Just one more quick general thing. I would lose the "I know better" attitude quickly, it will serve you better in the long run, no matter what you do. I know this because I have been there and I would hate for you to make the same mistakes. The real world is not the internet and you can't say whatever you want. No one appreciates entitlement.

• How have you been thing about it for a long time if you're only 14?

• You're 14! Way too young to get married. You aren't even in high school yet!

• Yeah, when the kids ask you to help them with their homework, you'll look like the dumb parent because you can't help. At least finish high school. What if something were to happen to that 17 yr old where he can't work, so you'll have to provide for the family? You won't be able to get a good paying job. Get your head out the clouds and really think about what you're setting yourself up for. It won't be in your favor, I guarantee you that.

• No actually. I tried that. It's definitely not the same.

• @slatyb we plan on moving to Montana.