Is it wrong of me to want to punch a kid in the face?

So I work at a school and today one of the middle school boys called my coworker a "pussy ass bitch". She is the nicest person to all of the kids and was simply asking him to follow the rules. It was totally uncalled for. She is always so polite to him asking "please" and telling him "thank you" and he still refuses to listen and often mumbles under his breath and throws his weight around. This kid is always talking shit and trys to act like he is a tough ass grown man. It pisses me off and I really hope that either his parents or another kid kicks his ass. I love kids and I think I can take a lot but this kid has the audacity to tell my boss that he will respect us when we respect him! I just hope that when I have my own children they are intellegent enough to know when someone is treating you better than you deserve and are able to conduct themselves in a civilized manner. If not I will get all kinds of uncivilaized on thier ass with the belt!

• Yes
  • No
  • Not Sure
Of course I wouldn't actually punch or intentionally harm a child. I am just venting my frustration.
I know that violence is not the answer and that he may be troubled. Its just frustrating when you see people (like my coworker) trying their best to be a good influence and provide you with a decent and fun environment, then you just totally shit on them.

Most Helpful Guy

• I understand how you feel. Your frustration stems from being hamstringed by modern society. Modern society hamstrings from abuse of authority from days gone by. This airing on the side of caution has created monsters in children. They can't face adult consequences and have no fear of recieving fitying childhood consequences either. In many states tge law even hamstrings the parent. There is no way in hell I could ever work with children because of this. Is bringing back the paddle really the answer? I hesitate to answer. Very mixed emotions on this topic. I'm sure we could find reasonable solutions that would resolve many of these issues if they really cared to. For now, people like yourself are going to remain at the mercy of these lawless kids. I really feel for you.

Most Helpful Girl

• Why is hitting suppose to help someone? I got the belt as a small kid and I hated it and still do. I've turned against that method long ago.

in my opinion, if you have to hit a child with a belt for them to get your point, you've already lost. It means you can't get your points across without hitting, which if you were doing to an adult or someone else's child you would get charged with assault (rightfully) and the child would only obey ''because mom/dad gonna hit me with the belt''.. basically out of fear.

• I understand what you are saying and you are right that getting the belt shouldn't be the first solution. My parents used it on me only after they already spoke to me and did a non physical punishment. I don't think it is right to unjustly punish someone but parents need to be more assertive with their kids. If they don't want to spank them they should at least aggressively teach them proper values and not just let them do whatever they want.

• off course, they should have boundaries. If I ever had a child, while I won't spank there will still be rules to follow.
      I think the parents that fail the most are those that either do too much (punishing a child for not getting a right answer on their homework) and those that stand there and do nothing at all, not even taking away privileges.

What Guys Said 10

• And you think that using violence will change him?

• No you are right, its not. I just wish that parents would take more responsibility for their kids behavior.

• Sorry, read higher. I posted at the wrong place

• Well I commend your wife and son for their ability to deal with those types of situations. I really love seeing the progress I make with kids when I am teaching them something knew or when I am able to help them understand a concept that is confusing to them but all the other things beyond the teaching of subjects (math, reading, etc.) are a real challenge.

• Annnd that's one reason why I could never be a teacher.. I swear i'd end up on the news But yeah parents aren't throwing the belt around enough these days

• I got the belt when I was very little, hated it, several times it was done for no reason other than not getting the correct math answer on time and I still HATE it. I would never hit a child with a belt.
      I learn absolutely nothing from it but just to obey in fear.

• @Vesuvius87
      Messed up, that's abusing it.
      I'm sorry to hear that

• How is this even a question, the kid is obviously troubled in some way since he's doing stuff like that and your answer is violence? There's a chance he is already getting beat at home and that could be a reason he acts like that. Im not an expert or anything but it would seem to me like the best way to deal with him is to be strict with him, while not stooping down to his level and being mature about it.

• You are right I guess in the heat of the moment I just get so frustrated because this program really does a lot for these kids and I hate when people take things for granted. Of course I maintain my professionalism at work but it really takes a toll on you when you are trying to work with people and help and encourage but get shit on every day.

• Obviously this kid needs some discipline, but I don't think punching him would solve it. Perhaps, put him on some sort of restraint, I guess tie him to an object heavier than him, LOL. He clearly doesn't know how to respect others...

• I mean of course I didn't mean literally punching in the face. lol I am just venting my frustration.

• LOL, I understand.

• It's not wrong to want it. It's wrong to actually act on it.

• Of course, I would never act on it or wish it. I was speaking from a place of anger and frustration.

• It's not wrong to think about it. Maybe you should also think about the shit he is probably getting at home to make him so angry at school. Or maybe he's just a sociopath.

• You are STUPID.

• Oh yeah. and why is that?

• I mean you'll end up in prison if you do...

• I think her has a crush on your friend.

• It's alright to want to punch him, actually doing it would be a different matter though.

What Girls Said 10

• Working with kids can really try at your patience. I would probably feel the same as you, or at least the need to speak up about it. Could you talk to the principal or one of the guidance counselors about it so they can intervene with the kid's behavior?

• Yeah but everyone is very much into giving second and third chances. The tolerance level here is pretty high.

• I would at least let them know so they can watch him. I doubt he's going to be stopping anytime soon.

• You and your friend need to bring this issue up to your supervising teacher and principal, if necessary. That type of behavior is not appropriate in school and it's not okay to call anyone names like that.

• I am not sure but its not your job to educate the kid it the parents! The parents need to help the kids understand whats wrong and whats right!

• No it's totally fine as long as you never do it. We all get frustrated sometimes

• I mean I worked at a counseling center with children and adults with mental health issues. It would be a lie to say that some of my clients didn't get on my nerves and make me want to punch holes in the wall when all I tried to do was help and they would just tell me how stupid/selfish I was. Did I ever actually hit anyone or anything? No and I usually felt bad about it after. It's a normal human experience.

• Yeah it just gets me all riled up and I do feel bad. Its frustrating because I will go back to work thinking "ok what can I do differently to show this kid how he can make things easier on himself through respect and cooperation" and when I try to put it in practice its like it doesn't even matter.

• I had that same conversation with myself all the time. It takes a lot of time, patience, and consistency. The more you continue to be there and show that you actually care about them, the more likely that they will eventually come around.

• Challenge him. Then give him a leadership position and make him work for your respect. It worked for me...

• This is actually some very good advice. Thank you.

• No problem and I hope it works - I worked 2 years for the Boy Scouts and had to deal with some pretty obnoxious wannabe leaders.

• Did it work?

• I know I would. I would just grab his collar to straighten him out and say a few words. Can't exactly punch a kid but he needs discipline.

• Some people are just douche canoes.

• no wonder you want to punch him, he's a little shit!

• I'm still in middle school, I've over heard the teachers talking sbout how much they hate some of the kids in my school.

• No. He's being a dick and for no reason and it sounds like he has a bad attitude! Sounds like the type of kid who's ghetto and a crack baby. He will end up in prison someday for killing a bunch of people though I bet.

• See he does have a bad attitude and is always bucking up to fight but I still have hope for him. I feel bad for kids like that don't realize that life is going to kick their ass if they don't get their shit together and learn to make better choices.

• Yeah I hate that. Hopefully he gets his shit together. A lot of kids like to think the world owes them something and they don't understand that's not how life works!