Do you think you could "drive stick" / a manual car?

I live in the UK. I've always had a manual, I passed my test in one, it's the normal type of car. But I always hear on American shows that "driving stick" is something impressive. To me it's totally normal.

Now I'm aware car enthusastis will be able to drive manually, but how many "common folk" can? Do you think you could? Have you tried?

• Yes I could drive a manual - I do already
  • Yes I think I could drive a manual - I've tried before and I have an automatic
  • Yes I think I could - Never tried though
  • No I've always had an automatic
  • I don't have a car/ever driven a car.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm somewhere in the gray area between "car enthusiast" and "common folk". I am a fan of several cars and know a thing or two about them, but, I never learned how to drive a manual.

That being said, I do believe I could learn it, it's not like it's rocket science. Plenty of people have learned to drive manuals so I think it's a very learnable skill.

Also my favorite car happens to be offered mostly in manual. Older versions had manuals and automatics but the modern ones are manual only. So I'd better be able to figure it out! ;)

• Manual is actually very easy and enjoyable. The hardest bit is learning the bite point and clutch control. After that, it's nice to listen to the engine, using the engine to brake, going through the gears and feeling power... it's nicer than an automatic.

• Yeah I knew you had a manual from reading your question haha. I was just wondering if you just owned a manual simply by chance, or if you were also somewhat of a car person.

For me, my favorites are the muscle cars, especially Shelby Mustangs and SVT Cobras. The modern versions are all manual, so I need to learn... gotta get ready, for when she's mine! :P

• It's all I've ever driven and for me it just makes sense. I understand the car more for driving a manual.

Ahhh a muscle car fan!!! Different to me haha

Most Helpful Girl

• I have always wanted to learn how to drive stick shift.

• It's really not that hard. The first few stalls are annoying but you pick it up fast.

• You will stall the car a lot at the start as everyone does. Don't think it is only you because it is not. Everyone stalls the car a lot at the very start. You just restart the car and try again. After a while you will find you will not be stalling the car anymore.

• Don't worry about stalling the car. I know she said stalling the car damages it but the truth is it does not damage the car. The engine just stalls and you have to restart it. Damage will not be done to the car.

What Guys Said 26

• Every vehicle I have owned (notice my age. I've been through more then my fair share), every vehicle I have not owned but drove cross country and every vehicle that will get me closer to my grave, is a Manual Transmission!
    I enjoy driving a vehicle. Any vehicle. As a Nature Photographer, I put so many phreaking miles on that poor Station Wagon and a couple of Trucks, I'm sure the cumulative amount would trip a lap-counter around our planet more than twice.
    I like to become "one" with the vehicle. The more interaction with it's performance, the better!

• I agree. I like driving a manual too

• Haha, I live in a very hilly area. My driveway is about a 45 degree angle and I have to do a reverse hill start on a bend. I often hold my car on the clutch if I'm first in the queue at lights. I love listening and understanding the engine instead of mindlessly transporting from a to b

• Well put, Little Sis!
      Yeah. It's the "feedback" we receive when being in touch with this machine, STRAPPED TO US.
      (Not the reciprocal)
      Whoa. Hope you don't get much traffic on your street. But I can see how that would make you a very careful driver too. Having to observe more caution from the start, of any journey, immediately focuses you into "driver" mode. I've seen many references to horrific crashes resulting from an inattentiveness that remains after beginning a trip in easy, unchallenged driving conditions. Especially in a four-wheeled Living room with a recliner and now... TV, too! They can set the cruise control, take their shoes off and kick-back!
      Hmm? What's in the fridge? Cool! Brews.
      Thank God the "flying Cars of the future" never manifested in the way visionary's imagined!

• I have always driven a manual car. The automatic ones aren't too common in my country, they are expensive, and also not fuel efficient.

• I can drive stick, without a problem.

I have two cars, one an automatic, and one manual. I also raced cars when I was younger, and it's pretty much a given that 99% of cars that race will be manuals.

• Oh yeah, manual please :D
    I've had to drive an automatic gearbox car a few weeks back, it was a car from my employer I had available to drive to another site. Sjeez it was scary, always telling yourself "Hans, keep that left leg down... do not move it or..." :-( :-(

• Yes I know how to drive a manual car. :)

• There are a lot less manual drivers in the US I think than other countries.

• Exactly. The gears have to be involved.

• Yeah changing gears is a lot of the fun when drive a car, especially a sports car.

• I can drive a stick shift!

However I prefer automatic because of the large amount of traffic in my area.

• I've had both, right now I prefer an automatic.

• I am a truck driver ( Lolly ) / construction worker and learned how to first drive in a vehicle with manual transmission. I hope I spelled Lolly correctly.

• i live in america and i can't drive stick. i'm a really good driver and a fast learner. i love driving, but i'm not a car nut (gimme my pickup or jeep and i'm good). i'd like to learn, but the thing is we have automatic. while stick would be fun probably, it's just 1 less thing for me to deal with. like, if there's a store selling meats and vegetables, why do i need a farm?

• Driving a stick isn't really impressive but it does take a little bit of practice, most people drive automatic cars, the only people who drive sticks usually are people who own a truck or a car that was made before the invention of automatic for that model. And it is good to know how to drive both.

• Here in the USA manual transmissions have become rare. They are most common on sports cars, but even then most are still automatic. My corvette is a manual, and I hunted down a new Fiesta manual for my commuter car.

The good thing is car thieves now generally can't drive stick anymore so no one steals them even in bad areas.

• Automatic is for lazy people! That's right, I said it!

• Yea stick vehicles are rare in the US and so are people who can drive them. I can drive stick but I learned to drive abroad (outside the US).

• Nope, always had automatic so I'd wreck whatever I'm driving. I even get annoyed with manual cars in video games.. I don't wanna have to click to get to the next gear

• I drive manual gives you better control of the car but prefer automatic when I'm tired at night.

I also have no problem switching from right hand to left hand car driving comfortable with both only the indicators confuse me since they are reversed

• I'm from the UK I can drive manual is I want to and have at odd times but have all was had and driven Auto's as gears get in the way of a nice drive.
    A lot has changed since I passed a driving test and so have the cars.
    when I lent to drive you had to ust the gears to slow you down not like know were you can almost just stop.
    I have also noticed that modern manual cars tell you what gear to be in too save fuel,

• I don't get how Americans have auto transmission all the time. A manual is far more economic

• Because the American lifestyle is about making things as easy as possible (look at cruise control). If it's easy, everyone can get involved, sell more cars, make more money.

• How about drive throughs?

• I don't use drive thrus very often (in fact i've personally never used one)

• in the UK isn't there a separate license for manual and automatic? Causing most to go ahead and get the manual so they can drive both if necessary.

UK also step licensing for motorcycles.. something they need over here in the US. Kids run out any buy the fastest thing, killing themselves in a week.

• Yes there are. However, if you have a manual license you are legally allowed to drive an automatic. If you have an automatic license you are not allowed to drive a manual.
      I think the motorbike system is good. The learner permit also expires if you don't take the test for a motorbike.

• I taught myself manual

• The manual transmission is awesome but not popular in America. I had to to search and drive 3 hours to find one to replace an older car for my father. I started with a clutch on a farm at 11 on a big tractor and grain truck. I won't try to explain a hand clutch. Crawling in traffic sucks but I drive and shift a clutch as smooth as an automatic. Stick is more fun.

• I drive an automatic. I live in the U. S. manuals are pretty extinct here unless you by a Corvette or something in the sport car department.

• I've always driven manually, in fact automatic is quite uncommon where I live. It's more fun to drive so I don't want anything else

• yes, in fact I will have a manual car before I turn 21, it's a promise I made to myself. I can't stand driving this boring ass automatic car

• yeah. i only drive manual. i have never driven auto before.

and i'm not like Caboose. only knows how to drives stick, not automatic

• My old truck was a manual. Very view cars are manual, you'll still find trucks that are manual.

• my S8 is tiptronic

What Girls Said 10

• My first car was a manual. I drove a manual in Italy also

• No definitely not. If someone taught me I probably could, but if I were put in a car right now to do it I would have no clue. I've never driven a stick and I don't even know how it works. :o

• This is what confuses me. You get in a contraption and don't even know how it works? At least with a manual you understand how the engine works. Does it not bother you?

• But does it not bother you, how you mystically go from one place to the next?

• A little yeah. I would like to understand things more.

• omg no i dont think id have the patience for manual. i have the coordination, but shit that would frustrate me lmao.

• My dad is planing to show me to drive the stick its diffrent than the automatic! I feel so powerful with a stick but thats me! lol

• I have always driven manuals. I don't like automatics and that's what's common here. I like the control that driving a manual offers.

• Yes I can drive a manual. My first two cars were a manual. My motorbike is a manual. The recent car I brought not to long ago is a semi auto

• Yeah! I recently passed my manual test! :) Here its quite impressive compared to using an auto for the driving test haha

• I've always driven a manual.

• In the US 99% of the cars are automatic, so its what we know. Driving the automatic is weird for you becuase you are just not used to it

• Thanks, but that wasn't the question I asked. I'm fully aware of that, as I said that manuals are usual in this country.
      The question I asked was whether you think you could.

• Ok, i never could

• Also, it's roughly 92% that are automatic in the USA.

• A stick is what I learned to drive on.