Do you think people are truly happy in life?

So I just got a promotion at work and am being head-hunted by another company. I should feel really happy and excited because things are going well in life but I feel kind of empty inside. Is this normal?

I've been thinking a lot about whether or not people are truly happy in life. I think a lot of people settle in life and never reach their true potential. But are they happy? How do I get to a place where I feel content no matter what? Is that what I should aim for?

Most Helpful Guy

• Nothing wrong with having financial goals and you should obviously be proud of your achievements. But what you are doing is obviously not feeding your "soul" and that is why you feel so empty.

I think very few people are truly happy, especially in western society. We are basically taught that happiness comes from money, status and things like that. When people in western society talk about "successful" people they usually refer to someone who's made a good financial career.

People adopt this by placing goals like earning X amount of money, reach a certain promotional level, get that sports car and so on. It's obviously a nice feeling when we reach that goal but that feeling fades.

I believe that true happiness only can come when we have a goal that never actually can be reached or "completed". It's instead an ongoing process instead of a specific point where once you reach that point you feel "now what?"

I think there is a few cornerstones to happiness. One of those is expansion and creativity. We need to grow, expand and explore. It's when we lose our sense of marvel about the world that the happiness also fades. When curiosity dies, so do we.. at least emotionally.

Another cornerstone is contribution and bringing happiness to other people. Feeling the joy, honor and pride in knowing that you have been a part of the happiness and success of another person. Their happiness become yours. Being selfless is a liberating feeling.

The void inside can never be filled by money or status. Those people who only values such things or feel like they have finally "become" someone have probably completely lost themselves. They identify with the external instead of the internal. You have completely lost yourself if you do that.

Sorry for my long rambling. Maybe some of this made some sense.

• So much of what you wrote resonated with me. Thank you <3

Most Helpful Girl

• Rarely I know for a fact I've been through a major depression and maybe that's why and its weird some days it is ball curling tear in my face but a lot of the days I'm just numb and just there not really feeling anything. With happiness I think it's something you don't have to think about. It's an emotion so rare and amazing that you know when you're truly happy. This is from an article about suicide but it stuck with me for a long time.

-But I've learned that if you're truly happy, you don't need to convince yourself that you are. You can't employ logic or relative calculus to make yourself happy. You're either happy or you're not.

What Guys Said 7

• Currently, I am happy. You have to put life into perspective. Why do you feel empty inside? If you figure out what's bothering you, then you can move forward to becoming content. You have control over your life when you have a job and money. So, if you don't like something, change it.

• What field are you in? I find this most common in people that get into business/finance. A lot of them chose that route because it pays well and is stable but that will only bring you so much happiness. Think back to your 16 year old self and think about what you wanted to be. That is the realest version of yourself right there. I don't think most 16 year olds were thinking about working in a cubical as a tax accountant. I'm not hating on those people that choose that route because I know many that thoroughly enjoy that work but I think for the most part people do it for the money and stability.

• The key to happiness, is embracing and enjoying the small stuff in life.

Too many people focus on the grandiose gestures and in the pursuit of money.

• Happiness, among many other things, is simply a psychological state. It never is everlasting, thus I never try to be happy. I don't see a purpose on doing something temporarily.

• some are, and some never find happiness

• You need to have and know your purpose in your life. For some it can be found young... Others can search their entire lives. Once it is found... You will experience "awakening"

• Why do you think it is elusive to some? Are they looking in the wrong places? Or are they never meant to be happy? Are YOU happy?

• Every one has ups and downs. I am happy. Its about positive attitude and understanding your own relation to the world and to others close to you. Its about who you positively influence in your life that will ultimately give everything meaning

This question can be compared to when someone tells me "I'm bored" Well that's because they are being boring...
      Someone saying "I'm stuck in life" Start learning to Live! You gotta enjoy your precious time on this Beautiful Rock!!

• Some do, some don't. We need to look deeper in ourselves and search why we feel lost or empty. Or we just have to cry.

• I cry a lot these days :(

What Girls Said 5

• Having a good career might make you prosper in social status but people need more than social status to be happy. They also need to know that they are doing good in this world and that they are improving themselves as people beyond merely career aspirations.

• Happiness comes from within and is different for everyone. I used to be in the "perfect life" by most people's standards. I gave it all up, moved across the country, started dating the man who I always wanted to date, and switched careers. I couldn't be happier now. I'd love to get back to my old job but if it meant giving up everything else I now have I wouldn't change a god damn thing. I'm so lucky to have all I do and I do enjoy my new job. I have never been happier

• hmm... you should aim for passion! Aim for something your passionate about.

• Yes, people can be truly happy.

• When you're feeling empty there's something that's missing: you're either not doing something you really love doing, or you'd like to have a partner, or social life is not what you'd it to be. It can be many things, but my guess is that it's generally related with not having found a real meaning in life. Feeling empty is actually a great opportunity to think what's missing in your life and how you would like your life to be.