What do you say to a friend that's being evicted from their house?

My close friend is being evicted from his house.. He doesn't know exactly when. He has no job and no money and hasn't been paying his rent for over 2 months. I've recommended he call someone and get help (citizens advice) get a job (he signed onto the job centre today) they can't help him with his situation they told him. I don't know what to say to him, he's a close friend and I care and nobody wishes anyone to be homeless. He refuses to talk about it now (I get that he's upset) he thinks getting a job or calling someone won't help him and he's doomed to be homeless and on the streets. What would you do and say to him... ?

Most Helpful Guy

• Tell him to get off his ass and self-pitying himself and get a job, any job and find a cheaper place to live. He should file for food stamps and unemployment (if he hasn't already) and see if he has a good friend or even his parents place to crash while he gets himself together.

• Thanks for your opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't beg the landlord. 2 months was plenty of time. As far as he doesn't know when, in TN a landlord is required to give 30 days notice, just as someone who moves out is required to give 30 days notice. I don't know other states though.

Only advice is for him to get a job, find someone to stay with until he gets on his feet, and apologize to the landlord and leave on good terms. He'll want a good rental reference. It would be a great idea to pay his unpaid rent when he can. Other landlords won't want to rent to someone who was kicked out for not paying.

My mom's a landlady, so I hear about this stuff all the time. Thank you for not blaming the landlord! Its a business. And they have to pay taxes. But yes, if he expects to rent again, he shouldn't burn his bridges.

What Guys Said 6

• Why did he sign up for the job centre today when he has been unemployed, penniless, and unable to pay rent for 2 months? It doesn't sound as if he has been trying to help himself.

• I've done everything I can which is why I'm stuck.. I've shown my support so what more can I do. It's up to him now.
      He signed on because he wanted to. He quit his last job because he didn't like the people working there. I don't know how he hasn't paid his rent for 2 months. What's done is done I guess

• I asked if he was okay and he just told me that's it's better off if I leave Him alone until he can get a grip of his life... After all the support I've given him.. He needs to get a grip yeah but that's not a nice way to talk 'leave me alone' :( it's shit caring sometimes

• Depressed people can be very angry and alienating to their friends and loved ones, pushing people away and then using the "abandonment" to confirm their lack of self-worth. It is very, very frustrating for you, I'm sure. You can't do anything for him but you can make sure that you take care of yourself.

• He sounds like an idiot if he thinks a job wouldn't help him avoid homelessness. I'd tell him to get any job as fast as possible, any job, sell stuff he owns quickly to raise some quick cash, look for ads seeking help for anything from odd jobs to tutoring. If he has a car sign up as an uber driver.

But if he isn't even going to look for a job there's nothing you can do.

• Yh he's got nothing to sell so I guess job ASAP ! Your right there's no more I can do. He has to help himself.

• Thanks for your opinion

• Geez I didn't know he quit his own job without getting a new one first. Knowing that I'd tell him this is what happens when you make stupid choices and good luck with homelessness. Next time think before acting.

• He only signed onto the job center *today*? It is one thing to be down on one's luck; it is quite another to be a deadbeat, a bum.

If you feel he is a good person, you could offer him your couch. But otherwise...

• Thanks for your opinion

• Address his route cause for not being able to pay?

• He needs to start sucking the government tit and get what he can from them.

• Sometimes you gotta learn your lessons the hard way

• Yah that's true.. Unless you help yourself.. You have to want to help yourself

What Girls Said 3

• I would want him in my house! BUT MY HEART WOULDN'T LET ME SLEEP AT NIGHT TO KNOW THIS MAN ON THE STREET! Just let him stay in a guest room and let him get up on him own. My mom would say not to do that because than he will never leave but I just can't sleep right! I care too much!

• To be quite honest it strikes me that he has left things a little late.

Maybe one of the charity organisations could help him out temporarily.

• Maybe... get a job?