Pit Bulls, Do They Make Good Family Pets?

I know this topic can be sensitive, but I can't help it. I would like to know why do so many people dislike this breed, and how did this breed end up with a bad name? Honstly, I adore the breed, and I have never meet a aggressive Pit Bull.

• I love them! They are awesome pets!
  • I hate them! Don't get one!
  • I never had/meet one. I couldn't tell you..

Most Helpful Guy

• If you get a pit bull before they are made aggressive, they are amazing family pets. They are a bit protective of their owners but I suggest you get the materials by Cesar Millan. He's the Dog Whisperer and he made his reputation with power breeds, pit bulls in particular.

Most Helpful Girl

• They are sweet dogs but I wish breeding them was illegal. Only because when I went to the shelter almost all the big dogs were some kind of pit and my heart aches for them. I live in a No Kill city so these dogs spend a long time at the shelter as people in apartments can't adopt them and they are so desperate for attention.

They do have a nice sized indoor and outdoor kennel with a hammock for each dog. And volunteers give them attention as do some visitors. But it isn't fair to them, some are really depressed. 😔

• it is illegal to own or breed them in the UK to own them or any pitbull type

• I thought they just had to where a basket muzzle anytime they are outside the house?

• Sorry I'm blocking responses to me on this thread. I got really upset thinking about those poor pups yesterday. Dangerous or not it isn't the individual dog's fault. All they want is love. 😔

What Guys Said 15

• pitts are not violent or aggressive by nature. they are trained to be that way

they are loyal, protective, patient and loving breed. great dogs

• Here's the way I see it. Dogs have bad days, just like us humans. Occasionally a dog can get a bit testy. Now the issue, a pit bull can inflict much more damage in a short period of time, than a terrier could. I love pit bulls, but I wouldn't want one around my children. If it does bite a pesky 3 year old, it could be fatal.

• It depends who raises them. If they are treated like any other family dog, they are nice balls of fur. If they are raised by an asshole who insists they are "fighting dogs" then you're going to get a dangerous one.

My cousins have pit bulls. Everyone treats them nice and they are nice dogs.

• A few days ago, I met a little Pit Bull puppy. The owner said he was training him to be a 'attack-dog'. Had me a bit upset since he had younger children, and he was being trained for such a violence thing. He was so cute.. It's a shame. He could be more, than just that.

• Yeah, if you know where the owner lives, I'd call the humane society or PETA, have them go check how he treats the dog. I've dive it before.

• I've done it*

• every time i hear of a dog attacking a person, its almost always a pit bull. At some point, the "its the bad owners" excuse kinda runs thin... and you end up having to look at the single common denominator, which is the dog itself. Personally, i wouldn't bring a pitbull into my family, especially if i had a young kid... but that's just me

• No, it is actually the asshole owner who makes the dog bad. My cousins have pit bulls and they are nice dogs, they are out on the yard during cook outs and they're OK with non family and kids. One is actually attached to me and cries if I ignore him. Another got lost once and a person found him scared curled up by his porch.

• They can but they need a lot of love and attention, more than any other bred.
    They are terriers, a breed created to chase/kill small creatures. Pits are as aggressive as dobermans and need to have that "trained" out.
    Other than that, they are great!!!

• Yes they're very good family pets and good with children it's just a shame that Pitbulls and Pitbull types are band in the uk.
    Just because of the fuckwits that train them to fight and kill.

• It depends how you raise them. They have the tendency to be amazing attack dogs but thats only if you train them that way. I know a friend who has a pitbull and raised him with a gentle touch, the dog is the biggest baby around

• People dislike them because of how they look when angry, when sometimes on the news a pit bull is just trying to protect its own.

Pit bulls r great pets, if you're willing to take of them!

• actually pitbulls are some of the nicest pets and statistically one of the safest and friendliest dogs. they are just given a bad rep. my aunt has a pitbull and it is one of the nicest and friendliest dogs i have ever meet

• Pittbulls were never breed to be pets, they were breed to be fighting dogs.

So their very nature is violence, and their instincts are to attack. They can make the best pets in the world, but there's always a chance they will attack unprovoked.

So there's always a risk/

• I have to disagree. The breed was bred for bull-baiting, and bear-baiting, which are blood sports. Than followed the dog fighting.

• They can, if you love them and treat them properly then they are great pets, However mistreated pitbulls are actually dangerous

• I've never had one nor really have any experience with the race. They're no more dangerous than other races, if raised properly (which is the case with all races really)

• I haven't seen a dog breed that is naturally violent. They are trained that way :/ Pit bulls are great with kids :(

• Never had one myself but my mother-in-law owned one it was a great pet and good with kids.

• If they are threated well they won't be hostile

What Girls Said 16

• They're so gentle, its not the dog that is bad it's the owner who trains them. I don't have any bad feelings towards dogs even if they're dangerous, it's not their fault. Yes i know some dogs are supposed to be more aggressive than others but doesn't mean they're randomly going to bite someones head off if they were raised and trained the proper way.

• My pitbull is a giant BABY. She is terrified of everything.

They get their bad rep because there are too many people who train their dogs to be aggressive. And most owners look at pitbulls as being this "badass" breed so they PURPOSELY train their dogs to be vicious, so they can utilize (instead of love and care for) them to intimidate people.

It doesn't help that people specifically breed and raise the bull-terrier type of dogs for dog fighting rings. And with that added bad rep (which STILL gets placed on the dog and not the piece of shit owner? ? ? ) it just makes people dislike and not trust them more.

It's shit. Like, animals are products of their environments. If it has teeth, it can and will bite. That being said, your little fluffykins yorkshire will bite the fuck out of you if it's startled or feeling threatened. Because it has teeth. And will bite.

You hear about pitbulls more because of the sheer force of their jaws, and the amount of damage that CAN come from a pitbull bite. Eventually the hate and disdain for pitbulls will die down, but then they'll just move on to targeting another breed who is at the mercy of it's owner.

Outside of the assholes deliberately training their pitbulls to be ruthless and vicious, people are adopting or breeding dogs without properly knowing their temperament, and thus poorly training them. Which therein lies the other half of the problem.

• i think it's a mixed bag because they were/ are bred for fighting so they genetically might be more aggressive, or zone in too much on a target etc and get out of hand while playing (some of them) . but mostly it's because people don't breed them well, don't treat them or train them well and they end up being bad dogs. i personally think they are great, i've known a lot of pit mixes that are wonderful dogs. (where i live it's illegal to own one) i think if their breeding and handling was done right, and they were only given to the people that can and will properly take care of them it would do much for the reputation of the breed.

• I've been around a lot of pit bulls in my life and I've never met one that was aggressive. They've always been so sweet, loving, and affectionate around me. Like any dog breed, it depends on training. A well trained dog can certainly be a good family dog.

• I've had three since I had my daughter and all of them protected her. I love them but i have met some aggressive ones. If they're treated poorly or raised shitty they can be bad but most the time all they want to do is make their owners happy. Don't be a shitty dog owner and they don't won't be shitty back, every type of dog can be aggressive in my opinion.

• Last year my mom got attacked by a Pit Bull and almost died. She's fine now and just has a big scare on the back of her leg. But since then I've been very attentive to Pit Bulls and how many attacks there are. Lots of the attacks are Pit Bulls killing their own owners or there owners friends in their home. But I've noticed that most of the dogs that attack were around 11. So maybe, just maybe it's because their mind goes crazy when they get old and just attack people or something. I haven't done any research on that, it's just an observation but if you are thinking if getting one please for your own sake don't. If you do get one, when you take it for a walk, for other peoples sake, put a muzzle on it or at least keep it on a leash. I would just get a different dog. Also if you get a German Shepherd be carful when you're cuddling them cause if they don't know your there and you scare them their automatic reaction is to attack. Lambs can also be dangerous but neither of those dogs are as dangerous as pit bulls.

• I have a feeling you've watched the video where a German Shepard police dog attacked the news anchor when he leaned over it? The dog was trained to do that.

• @Smileyface1210
      Oh, I know they are dangerous. I think any large dog breeds can be. I do believe most of the blame does lay on the owner's shoulders, but there is some on the dog's shoulders, too. People don't know how to pick a non-aggressive dog. Which can be hard when a breed is bred for such violence acts, or being used for violence things as well, such as the puppy I met last night.

• I've never known anyone who's had a problem with their pit bulls. They've always made great pets, very kind and loving and intelligent though they are somewhat stubborn. As long as you raise them correctly, you shouldn't have any problems.

• @ZombieCommie I know you'll probably have something to say about this, lol.

• i love the breed and plan on having two. The first will be black and named sirius black and the second a yellow-ish color and name it remus. i told my parents that i plan on getting two pit bulls and a cat when i move out on my own but they said be careful they will bite the cats face off. and i asked if they are discriminating against pit bulls and they say, "of course not. I am sure pit bulls are great dogs but" "says something offensive about pitbulls" -___- i remember a stray pit bull was wandering around my house and i gave it water and my parents yelled at me because they said it would bite but i think it was too busy loving the belly rubs i was giving it. And the argument that pit bulls are only loyal to their owner and no one else is false. That stray dog did not remotely hurt me and i am not its owner

• I've never owned one but they are the cutest and do make great pets. The issue is that people just look at their size and the fact that they have a lock jaw. Thus they raise and breed them for fighting. You can't exactly tame a pit bull that was bred to fight. Although they probably wouldn't attack humans they will attack other dogs. The owners are the problem. If you raise it right then they make great pets!

• Lock jaw on pitbulls isn't a real thing, they have done research and they found nothing to prove that their jaws are any different than other dogs.

• By that I don't mean it as a physical thing I mean when they have something in their jaw they're very stubborn and won't let it go

• My dog has scars on her face because she got attacked by one once, which caused her to not like dogs that were bigger than her, as she got attacked 2 times after that too. And another pitbull down the street almost attcked her too.

But they look cute

• Its the owners who not correcting behavior and because of these big dogs I don't let my dog go near them either more people need to train their big dogs.

• @NatashaJ Exactly! My friend had a big dog, and when she saw cats she would run after them. Most of the time they could hold her back, but one time they didn't see it coming, and she ran off chasing the three cats. I was there too and we had to run after her and into private property

• Yup that's why I say girls should stick to medium size or small size unless they are able to control their big dogs.

• Any dog can be vicious if it's mistreated. You can have a mean Yorkshire terrier that bites & mauls people.

• I have a pitbull who is insanely friendly and a German Shepherd who isn't. One was abused and one wasn't. Guess which one?

It's almost impossible to gather good data on dog bites.

• I own a pit bull and I have to say they're actually one of the more friendlier dogs around.

• get a Labrador !!