Should CPS be called?

My roommate's friend had a baby about 3 months ago. She's a new mom.

This weekend she came up to visit campus (she dropped out when she had the kid).

She breastfeeds her kid - cool. Whatever.

She was staying at another friend's apartment and she, her friend, and the baby all slept in a queen bed together. She put the baby to sleep on his stomach and had blankets up around his head. And when she carries him she doesn't support his neck and head.

She doesn't have a pack and play for him. She just left him on the couch in the living room and was drinking and playing cards. Then she breastfed him. Like 10 minutes after she drank 3 beers.

She was showing us her carseat for him and it's broken. It's not installed in her car properlly.

And the baby doesn't cry. Like, I know it's bad if they cry all the time, but he doesn't cry at all. He's quiet all the time.

At her house there's no carpet. And no hardwood floors, either. You know the stuff they lay down before they put the carpet on? That foam stuff? It's just that. And it's been just that for a while. They don't really have plans to put carpet down any time in the near future. The nails are still sticking out of the floor and everything.

None of us at school are parents so maybe she, as the mom, does know best, but... we're pretty sure she's made a few errors.

But are the errors enough to be really concerned?

• I'd call CPS
  • Stay out of it. If the kid dies then it dies
  • She's not really doing anything wrong. Just let her be the mother

Most Helpful Guy

• CPS can't do much about poverty. Even less about ignorance.

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh wow! Nails sticking out? Not sure I would call CPS, but I definitely could not stay out of it especially since she is your room mate's friend. She needs to get her house in order first of all. Why isn't there any flooring? That is really weird. Perhaps she isn't worried about it since the baby isn't crawling yet. Also, some babies are naturally quiet. But be warned though that a quiet baby is just that. A quiet BABY. Mine was, then suddenly all hell broke loose when he turned 2 years old lol I was always with him and kept my eye on him.

What Guys Said 4

• Call them first thing today if you haven't already.

• Obviously call them wtf!

• Well, fecundity seems to be directly inverse to IQ, so...

• Our foster system is a complete mess. I don't see anything here that warrants CPS involvement. Is she the world's greatest mom, no. But does she love her child. Just like most parents, you learn as you go.

What Girls Said 7

• Yes, CPS should definitely be called. The biggest issue here is that you said there are nails sticking out of the floor in her home and the fact that she drinks alcohol and then breastfeeds. So obviously the baby is consuming alcohol that way too which is obviously a problem. Something needs to be done, that child deserves better.

• I'm not sure if the alcohol and breastfeeding happens a lot or if it was just this weekend.

Also, at her house, she lives with her parents so there should be two other adults involved... right?

Not sure if we're just seeing an inexperienced mother or if what she's doing actually counts as neglect or abuse.

• If she breastfed after drinking alcohol once then you can pretty much be sure that she's done it before and will likely do it again. Leaving the child unattended for hours while she's drinking is considered neglect.

• I mean she's not doing the best she can and actually even if breast feeding, its not necessarily bad to drink beer it may increase her milk flow actually HOWEVER IF she's drinking to get drunk that is stupid and she should be pumping prior to drinking so she has enough supply for the baby. Her carseat is HUGE no no, the house I mean if the baby is warm then okay but she should be really thinking about the proper way to care for a baby.

• She's a crappy mom. She should have never had the baby or gone through with the pregnancy if she wasn't going to treat him like the gift he is.

• I'm disturbed that you even put option 2 in the poll and even more disturbed that people actually chose it. I'd definitely call CPS. You can never be too sure.

• Option 2 is for those who think that CPS should be called deep down but think it's not our place to do the calling.

• This shouldn't even be a question. They need to be called asap.
    I'm also not sure why you mentioned that the kid never cries honestly, My daughters almost three and she never cried when she was newborn. xD

• Sometimes it's a sign of a developmental delay but some babies never cry, that's true.

• Might be because she's drinking and breastfeeding also.
      Poor kid, give it to me i'll take care of the baby.
      Foster care is a fucked up place so i hope cps can help her make adjustments instead of sending the kid away.

• Nooooooo that is not good at all

• That's fucked up. Call them.