How safe do you feel about the country you live? Does the police real work in your country?

Police in my country sucks, they corrupt, they work for money, If you want to feel safe, you need protect yourself by your own

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I actually feel very safe. As a matter of fact, my country regularly shows up in the annual list of the 10 safest countries on earth (depending on the study, it's usually between first place and 7th place). The last war we've fought with a foreign country was around 220 years ago. The last war in general we've fought (civil war) was in 1815, so exactly 200 years ago.
    Crime rates are very low here altogether. However, while our police is trustworthy and generally does a good job (they're not corrupt), I don't think our safety has so much to do with the work of the police. In my opinion, the two most important reasons why we have such a small crime rate are these:
    1. Although we have a relatively big gap between rich and poor in Switzerland like in many other countries, we don't have real poverty. What is considered poor in Switzerland would not be considered poor in countries such as the US. We don't have any ghettos in the big cities for example. It's something that simply doesn't exist here. We also don't have beggars or homeless people (in fact, begging is even prohibited and fined by the police). Though one can occasionally find some odd looking people (for example punks) in the big cities who seem to live on the streets, these people usually do this voluntarily. Generally speaking, our welfare state takes care of everyone so that everyone who wants to have a roof over his/her head can have that and nobody suffers real poverty. Because of this lack of real poverty, people are not so much driven into committing crimes.
    2. Mentality: Swiss people tend to be extremely honest. Some might even say we have an obsession with honesty. Swiss people absolutely love setting up rules and regulations in all aspects of society and we also love sticking to them religiously. One example: when you walk through a Swiss town on a rainy Monday morning at 3 a. m. and you see a lonely passerby wanting to cross a road, he will most likely stop and wait for the red light to turn green, although there is no single car or bike or other person around. I have to admit that even I do this. It's not really that we try hard to do this, it's just kind of within us. We feel the need to wait at red lights no matter what because we consider honesty one of the highest virtues and being honest means sticking to the law even if nobody is there to see it. While this kind of honest can be a little too much in some cases, it can also be really great in others. For example you can lose

• wallet on the street, come back 20 minutes later and be pretty sure that nobody picked it up and stole it. We just don't really this kind of stuff. It's probably one of the things I cherish most about my fellow countrymen.
      Unfortunately, this honesty-thing is slowly but surely changing as we're taking in more and more people from cultures such as the middle east and north Africa. It's tough for me to say this because I'm generally very lefty and foreigner-friendly but it's unfortunately true that as the amount of foreigners from these parts of the world rises in my country, the crime numbers rise as well.

• Thank you for your answer. Switzerland is one of my favorite country in the world. Hope those people from the middle east and north Africa won't ruin it.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 5

• The police in America have way to much power and not enough consequences for their country. There's tons of reports about cops abusing their power and nothing ever happens to them except getting a paid leave. I acknowledge that our justice system isn't as bad as other countries but "it could be worse" has, in my mind, never been a valid excuse to accept something as it is

• I feel safe enough. The police are far from perfect but effective. I fear them. Majority of the ones I have met were cool. I recall only three jerks. Even they were not too bad. You just never know when you will meet the bad cop.

• The police in the US work well if you are rich and white. Otherwise not so much. They aren't as corrupt as police in other countries. but it's obvious that a number of them are out of control.

• They could be doing so much better, they can start by throwing a campaign for arresting all the criminal's in the world who manage to escape justice, for financial and political reasons.

Than, they can call themselves, police.

• yup. The police force here are doing their job pretty well.