Do you like the word "lover? And would you use it in conversation?

I reaaaaaaaaally don't like this word. I can't imagine saying "He is my lover" or "We are lovers." Just sounds so weird.

• WEIRD. like... flamingo soup
  • FINE. like... kleenex tissues
  • ... i am upset that you made me imagine a soup made out of flamingos...

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 19

• I wouldn't use it to describe my relationship to anyone, but I occasionally use it as a pet name for my SO, in a "Hey lover, what do you want to do tonight"? sort of way.

• It's fine, I use it.

• To speak about real love, it's a weird word indeed.
    It's more a word that is appropriate to talk about "her lover boy" in some movie 8)

• lmao i agree. it sounds more... casual than a serious way to refer to your SO.

• Ohhhhhhhhh my Lover <3

• AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:p

• lmfao. NO! this will not be a pleasant haunting! ... you're going to hate it... :p

• Hahahaha lol. So is there where I run away and scream in fear, orrr later or what? lmao

• I think its kind of corny for my tastes but I wouldn't mind if my so used it ocassonally.

• Well what would you use if you didn't want to use girlfriend or SO? Like... what's a romantic term you would use?

• why can't I just use girlfriend?

if it ain't broke, don't fix it

• I think it sounds corny and something I would expect an 80 year old to say. I blame Dirty Dancing for its overuse.

• I voted A) I guess, but to be honest I'm somewhat wondering if flamingo tastes like chicken.

• actually, i bet they taste more shrimpy since they eat so much shrimp lol

• Fuck no (unless she was saying it as part of a sentence like "He is my rock, my best friend, my lover, my everything"), because that would imply that our relationship was not serious or not a relationship at all.

Plus that would remind me of shit like middle aged women cheating on their husbands with a 20 something guy, or a really homophobic conservative politician who has a secret gay lover.

• I bet flamingo soup taste like chicken

• It has this sense of sexual relationship kinda "lover"s in it, I don't like it.

• I only like that word while listening to this and would never use it in a sentence or to describe the person I love.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfaTpiIxqXE

• Its a nice word, it really just describes the person you are in love with

• Eh, I don't care for it either. Like, I would never call my SO my "lover" in front of friends, family, etc. I think it'd conjure up thoughts about us having sex, which, yuck - - I don't want those people thinking about THAT.

• I prefer Bae, babe, honey, sweety, lovely etc calling someone my lover just feels weird

• Quite cheesy, but not atrocious.

• Better then shack job or that chick i'm banging, i guess.

lol

• I had no idea so many people hated it. :(

In my opinion it sounds WAYYYY better than babe, baby, Bae, significant other, or even partner. But I guess I'm alone in that thinking.

• i would use it to annoy the fuck out of single people like my fav thing to do

• Yeah that word is too heavy for me. I usually refer to an SO with a casual nickname.

What Girls Said 26

• I don't use it.

Heck, I greet my boyfriend by saying, "Hi friend."

lol we're super chill with our pet names.

• I don't mine the word lovers! Sometime I call my pet cockatile... my sweet lover out loud! hahah she shakes her head I am way too loud! hahah

• No it makes me think of the evil dead scene
    http://i.imgur.com/yquSv62.gif

• :o that is creepy... :x

• I like the word, but what I have understood is that your "lover" is the other man or woman so I refrain from using it even though it sounds romantic, but all in all it's a bit odd if you ask me, unless if it's in a poem, then yes, go right ahead :)

• I use the word lover.

He is my friend and lover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRfluaMKoOY

• yeah no i dont like using that word either. it has no meaning in my life.

• I have nothing against that word 😛 I mostly use it in sorta jokey pokey funny way.

• I feel like it's a word cougars or old women in bars use. It's just an ick word.

• I sort of hate the way it sounds as well. x_x

• I adore it when he calls me that when we are alone together. Or when he sends me a text that starts out with "hey, lover?". But I don't like it when he calls me that in public... it's feels a little too intimate.

• It sounds awkward to me. I would never use it casually, and if someone I was having a conversation with did, it would definitely stand out.

• I hate that word.

• I like the word partner.

Girlfriend/boyfriend seems really juvenile to me.

• I might use it sarcastically? But no, if I was being literal I would not use it. I would rather flat out say, "We fuck occasionally and I love it" than saying lovers. It gives me chills in a bad way, like moist and penetration does. Some words should not be used unless absolutely necessary.

• Welcome back Harikiri.

I'd just say fuckboi instead.

• thanks :p fuckboi is... quite... lovely :p

• Ah then you haven't found the right man yet.

• Lmao I doubt this has to do with an actual dude though. I just am not a fan of the word on its own :p

• That's true but all kinds of corny things become acceptable when you're totally crazy in love.

• It just sounds gross, I prefer partner.

• I think it's fine.

• You're right, it does sound odd 😞

• Yeah, I use it occasionally.

• It sounds weird now that you mention it

• When person A refers to person B as a lover, I immediately think that all person A wants from person B is sex. That there is no connection and they are just using person B.

• i thinks its ok.

• Yeah i use that terms at times. I also will call my boyfriend love at times. like "okay love" "morning love" stuff like that. Which he's the first guy I ever said that with.

• I wouldn't use it in front of my family and friends to describe my relationship, but the term itself doesn't really bother me and I am fine with it when other people use it.

• Lover seems like it is 1920 s word. İ dont know. It seems like an ancient word.