Seems like a double standard to me?

I don't know if others have noticed this but it really irks me that if a girl talks about babies in any manor, except maybe saying they don't want them, people, especially guys, act as if the girl is baby-crazy and to stear clear of her. But, i've had several guy friends say "we'd make beautiful babies" about some other girl. Or "when I have kids.." etc and nobody thinks twice. It feels like a double standard/sexism and I wondered if anyone else has experienced this too.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• it's because a girl can protect herself easier against a "baby crazy" guy, whereas a guy will have a harder time protecting himself against a "baby crazy" girl. It's easier for her to "forget" the pill, and cause an "accidental" tearing in a condom, than it is for him to trick her (given how he can't really controll her taking the pill).

Also it's the fact that girls got a bigger rep for baby trapping.

THAT is why a "baby crazy" girl is by some seen as a red flag, whereas for guys it's not so.

0|2
    0|0
    • I guess that makes sense, didn't think about that, hence the request for other opinions. Thanks

• see? People throw "sexist" way too easily when something is different that doesn't benefit them.

This is a simple risk vs reward calculation, and it is VASTLY more risky for the guy. Hence why it's natural for the guy to be proportionately more cautious.

• Well as my female friend did say though, women do have a more condensed window for children so it makes a little more sense for them to be thinking about having children. Men can father children into the seniority, women have to think about that far sooner...

Sponsored

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• Emmm no, never seen this. I think you're trying too hard to find something to call sexist.

0|2
    0|0
    • I've had 3 different guys make these kinds of comments about babies and then at least one of them has also in unrelated conversations called one of our other friends baby crazy... I guess that's what I'm referring to, not all guys, but some I know will criticize women about wanting children and such then make similar comments in another conversation. Maybe not sexist but definitely double standards..

• I've never heard that at all. All I've heard was if a woman says she likes children, people will say she'll he a good mother one day. And if a man says he likes children, he is automatically branded as a paedo.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!