Do you get offended by the word 'gay' used as a verb?

Even though it is not directed at you and also used to described something that is nowehere near nor have any correlation to homosexuality? As an example

Guy 1: My car break down.

Guy 2 : Awww. That's gay.

• Yes it offends me
  • No it doesn't.
  • IDC

Most Helpful Girl

• it's annoying to me, not necessarily offensive.

Most Helpful Guy

• It doesn't offend me, but I don't like it. There are such better words to use.

What Girls Said 14

• Well I use it all of the time in a sentence.

I think overly sensitive people would get angry about this.

Sometimes I say, "Damn this shit makes me angry! It's so f**king straight!"
    Just to even things out a bit :D

• It doesn't offend me personally, but I have some LGBT friends and I know it upsets them. I wouldn't use it in that way.. there's no need to. It's just like saying something is retarded. Maybe it isn't offensive to you, but it's pretty likely that there's someone around you that it would not only offend, but hurt.

• Anybody who gets offended at that is a little bitch. Sometimes that's all you can say. Things are just gay sometimes, and things are retarded sometimes nobody is actually talking about gay people or retarded people.

• More than I count. One time my brother and I were walking outside and we saw a man out of no where, come runing past us. My brother (the idiot) started laughing and said "He runs so gay". 😳

• Well, I think you're using the word "gay" as a subject complement. And yes, I am not a fan. I do it sometimes too, but I'm really trying to stop.

In the words of Macklemore:

Have you read the YouTube comments lately?
    "Man, that's gay" gets dropped on the daily
    We become so numb to what we're saying
    A culture founded from oppression
    Yet we don't have acceptance for 'em

• I don't find it offensive, no, but I think it's an unnecessary/annoying thing to say. You might as well say it fucking sucks or something, I don't understand why it has to be "gay".

• I'm not touchy at all, I can joke about almost anything.. but using "gay" in that context is fucking pointless

• I'm bi, not technically gay, but it really doesn't offend me unless someone uses the word hatefully ("look at that stupid fucking gay guy over there" etc.)

• Hahaha I don't think you know what a verb is. o. O

• I can understand if an actual gay person or a person who has gay friends would get offended over it - but personally I don't because I don't personally know any gay people nor am I gay myself.

But at the same time, even if I could relate to being "gay", I wouldn't let things like that get to me. After all, how can you live life if every little thing offends you?

• Haha, I like classic literature and when I first heard that someone was "gay " I thought that they were happy. Because thats what it means!

• No I do not get offended. I use the word sometimes in a sentence and so do some of my friends. to me it's just a word. people over sensitize things waaaaaayyyyy too much.

• no why should it?

• I think its important to make the distinction that just because the word isn't directed toward you or doesn't offend you personally because you aren't gay, doesn't mean it isn't offensive to others. If someone is saying to you, which they've clearly said at some point, this thing you're doing/saying is offensive, then stop doing it. I would only want the same if I were to come to them and say, this thing they are saying/doing is offensive, but instead you have a lot of people with the mindset of, it doesn't affect me personally and therefore I'm going to rule it as inoffensive and say that other people, mainly the people actually affected by it, are making such a big deal out of nothing. Thus the offense is allowed to spread and grow and become normalized when it has no business becoming so.

What Guys Said 13

• Do you know what a verb is?

• You need to learn grammar. Saying "that's gay", you are using gay as a descriptor like an adjective or adverb.

• I find it somewhat of a weird term or word to use in a context like that but it doesn't offend or bother me.

• It shouldn't be used as a negative, the same way some English people say "that's irish" if something is stupid, or "dont be a jew" basically meaning don't be an idiot.

That's the definition of racism/homophobia right there.
    Yes im aware being jewish isn't a race, but im sure you understand what I mean.

• You mean Adjective, not a Verb. lol

• Nah. I use the words gay, faggot, and retard when with friends. Get called all 3 as well, we just casually use those words.

So that's what they are to me, just words.

• I often use gay as a derogatory word sadly. It's just built into my vocabulary. I tone it down in public.

• I don't like people who have issues with homosexuals but it's got to the point when people say it not trying to insult them it's just become parts of the teenage language and their unintentionally insulting people but I make sure not to use it.

• It doesn't necessarily personally offend me but I think it's offensive to others so I don't use it and if people around me use it I'll tell them about it.

• That's a verb? I thought it was a subject modifier, or perhaps an adjective or adverb

• I'm guessing someone already told you but you used it as an adjective, and by the way I'm not gay and it doesn't bother me the slightest.

• Honestly not really. and im gay.

• This question is really gay. Jk