Do you think a person can 'save you', or is it always on you to 'save yourself'?

I must admit i would either be dead or in prison if not for the place my ex wife had in my life. But in giving this tribute am I under rating my role in turning things around?

Most Helpful Girl

• everyone has to save themselves, nobody can do it for you. the only thing someone else CAN do is give the motivation to do so.
    either by actively be a part of the "saving" or by just giving you a reason for wanting to be a better person for her/him.
    But ultimately, if someone doesn't want to be saved, there is nothing anyone can do to change your mind. This has to happen within first.
    The mind is a powerful tool, it can get you ahead and it can drag you down. Important is which side you choose and the decisions you make from there on.

What Girls Said 10

• I think the whole concpet of saving is wrong. I think that no matter what we choose to believe human beings cannot be alone or rather they need love as they need food, and without that you are not much good. Sure, you have to be matture and independent to be able to be alone if you have to, but that should be more like periods of time in life at most, not as an final state. Same goes with depending on someone too much, that is not good either. Partership is what is ideal, being it with SO, family members, friends etc.. when you can count on someone and someone can count on you and you can also count on ysf

• I believe we as a person has the potential to change ourselves, especially if we truly have the desire to change, but a lot of times it takes that one person or that group of people to help give us that swift kick in the butt to help up hurry up the process. At the end of the day, the ball is in your own court whether or not u really want to change no matter what other people do for or say to you.

• Save yourself overall. When I was in time of need both my friends and family have left me emotionally. I was able to get back up my feet with my own power. Others can give you a little hand but they'll never be able to fully save another since it's the decision of the person in need to accept that hand and what to do with it.

• I think a person can influence you to save urself... But in the end it's ultimately up to u...

• I cannot save you so just save yourself. 😊

• It's both. I saved myself because others have given me good advice.

• It's always on you.
    Outside motivation /support can be helpful but the person shouldn't rely only on that.

• It's probably both. You need to want to help yourself and you probably also need a strong person to help you sort your way through.

• I think it is more about a person who is not only strong, but just gets you- speaks your language for want of a better term

• Definitely. You have to be able to trust the person and know that they understand where you're coming from and where you want to go.

• its up to you to save yourself. others can help, but ultimately its you

• Everyone is different. I know both are true.

What Guys Said 3

• You were the one who changed for your wife. She had a role but she didn't do it with no motivation from you.

So someone can help and show you the way, but you have to choose to walk the path.

• On myself you can't depend on everyone else especially in a larger crowd

• I think it's a mix of both in some cases the only person you can count on is yourself and only you can help you. But in some instances a person can save you or be such a influence on you that you want to make yourself better for them.