WHY AND HOW DID "SO" BECOME A THING? Where did it come from? Who invented it?

What's so hard about saying "bg/gf" instead of the so called "so"? There's no word on this entire planet that I despise hearing more than this word. It's not even a word. Wtf is "SO". Geezz... If I had one wish, i'd wish for this word to have never existed. Okay- maybe this wouldn't be my wish but, you get the point.

UGHH

WHY AND HOW DID

"Significant other". Okay. Your fingers aren't gonna hurt if you just write "significant other". Or any other word. -.-

Most Helpful Guy

• Partner and Significant Other became a thing as marriage rates declined as well as homosexuals needed something to refer to that person they wanted to marry but couldn't. They emerged as terms broad enough to encompass spouses and bf/gf. I didn't really like Partner or Significant Other or it's abbreviation to SO but meh, it's a thing.

Although, I've never considered that someone might say SO as "soh" rather than say "ess oh" as two letters. If anyone is saying "soh" then that's too much and they are horrible horrible human beings.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's become more popular to say since we have a lot of people coming out or who have already come out as gay. But it can be used by everyone not just people who prefer the same sex. Some abbreviations die out as time goes on and new ones replace it.

What Guys Said 18

• Quite frankly, I don't care, and no one else does. Get over it, there are more important things to put your hate into.

• boyfriend, girlfriend, wife, husband, partner, friends with benefits, dog... The list goes on and on, SO is easy

• So is easier to type especially with swiping keyboards. Convenience is king therefore whatever is more convenient will win over more people towards doing it. Simple fact of life.

• Significant Other. You might also see abbreviations starting with 'D' like DH and DW which mean Dear Husband, referring to their spouse.

Are we good? Can you find something more worthwhile to get angry about now? How about 'posting obnoxious animated gifs because I can't even'?

• to piss you off more, means, ma boo

• "Significant Other" so that you don't specify their sex

• "s"ignificant "o"ther... really? and how is bf/gf and different? so you bitch about people abbreviating a 2 words of 16 letters but abbreviating a 9 and 10 letter word into bf/gf respectively is not lazy? nigga please!

• and for the record, i agree that i'd rather people say bf/gf/husband/wife/etc, but let's be real with ourselves. it's way more convenient and just sounds like 1 more meaningless thing that people have to complain about.

• I've never used it and I don't plan on doing so.

• I've only seen it used on gag so I only used it on here.

• It isn't a word, it's an abbreviation of Significant Other.

• It arose in response to the perceived need to be inclusive by providing a non sex-specific way of referring to a "life partner" another word derived from the same desire.

• I think it became a thing because it's gender neutral.

• significant other? you hate that?

• I never say it out loud

• If you'd spend your wish on something such silly, you must have a very interesting life.

• I agree. It's a result of this fucked up P. C. world where anyone can be with anyone and gender is meaningless and sexist, so you just call whomever you are in a relationship with your "SO" to not offend anyone.

• I always like to joke that it stands for superior officer.

• It covers all possible relationship configurations.

What Girls Said 14

• When I'm talking with the friends I usually say "the boyfriend" or "their girlfriend/boyfriend" whatever cause they don't fancy using the word SO. But on GAG I have to use SO, kinda troublesome switching back and forth like this tho.

• I think it's more convenient to use SO because it's less specific than BF/GF, when you talk about an SO, it could be husband/wife, fiancee, BF/GF... :)

• We are to lazy to write significant other. :D It's mostly used to not name a specific gender.

Also that's how I feel about "how have." I don't know why but that makes me cringe to say it or read it in my head.

• It's not a word, its an abbreviation... haha!!!
    Just like lol and omg and wtf... just one of those annoying shortenings...

• It stands for significant other and it's easier than writing out boyfriend/girlfriend and husband/wife and partner etc.

• lol! I don't know just some slang or something!

• SO doesn't indicate if it's a male, female, something else, if they're married, engaged, dating, just going out...

• because we dk what the other person likes or what their SO is considered

So to be polite and be able to write quicker we just say SO

• I guess it's just a new abbreviation just like bf/ girlfriend is...

• Who knows. It's not something I ponder over.

• Significant other refers to anyone in any sort of serious relationship. It could mean bf/gf, or fiance/fiancee or husband/wife. Its especially useful when referring to a group (ie "your friends and their significant others"). Its just easier to write SO than spell it out online.

• Personally, I like SO more than bf/gf because it sounds more special.

• That's how I feel when I hear "Bae". So damn stupid.

• It's way easier to type out SO than "boyfriend or girlfriend" especially when you're talking guys and girls about their partners >_>