What about student-teacher FRIENDships? And does this sound "complicated"?

My college currently does not have a policy for student-teacher sexual relationships but are drafting one which they plan to carry out next semester.

One of my teachers and I hang out on and off campus regularly, but we're just friends. If a faculty member sees us now - a point where the policy is only in the process of being made, would we get into trouble? We hang out freely since there's no policy at the moment, but I always feel on edge. And I know it's "discouraged".

Also, a few weeks ago, he told me one of his students saw us at a cafe and that they kind of suspect us for dating - which we're not. But since he told them we're just friends, I don't THINK any rumors will start spreading...

It's hard because to me he's more than a friend so I can't help but try to be more, you know? But since I'm just a friend to him, I can't suddenly be like, lets stop hanging out because that would just hurt his feelings and of course I don't want to stop hanging out with him. And around the beginning, he kept checking if I felt uncomfortable having dinner with him and stuff and I would say no, not at all...

My best friend says he and I are complicated but are we?
What should I do?

• We can't get into trouble for being friends, so continue to hang out freely
  • Stop hanging out with him, even though we're just friends :(
  • Hang out but be more cautious
My question actually is would we get into trouble for being friends? The policy being made is that "no student teacher sexual relationships will be allowed" but we're just friends and we're not sleeping together.

What Guys Said 1

• "It's hard because to me he's more than a friend so I can't help but try to be more, you know?" No, I don't know. I don't understand why you can't pick some other guy to hang out with.

In essence, he is your supervisor and you're his subordinate being the student. There is a conflict of interest there. You made the question because it bothers you, but I know you're still going to hang out with him. If you know what is best, tell him you simply cannot be hanging out with him.

• I don't think I was clear, actually, my question is would we get into trouble for being friends? The policy being made is that "no student teacher sexual relationships will be allowed" but we're just friends and we're not sleeping together.

• Still applies because there is a conflict of interest. Once you graduate, be friends, sleep together, get married, have kids, it doesn't apply after that. You being a subordinate to him is eliminated and it's fair game.

• I see. Thanks for your help!

What Girls Said 0