If black people are proud to be black.. Then should I be ashamed to be white?

When asked why they are proud to be black they say some things like, their ancestors fought against the oppression they faced because of the white people and because of them they are free today..
Which is exactly the reason why I should feel ashamed to be white because my ancestors discriminated on these black people.

Makes sense?

Most Helpful Girl

• You should be proud of who you are AS A PERSON. Be proud of the things you've accomplished. The goals you've reached. The strides you've taken. The battles you've won in your life. Be proud of that. That is what I'm proud of. Why should you be proud of something for you had no control over? You didn't choose to be white just like I didn't choose to be black. We were born this way. Am I ashamed of my skin? Hell no. But I'm also not going to boast and brag about it and think that I'm better than someone else because of it. It's apart of who I am but it does not define me.

• What do you think about these, proud to be an American, Proud to be a homosexual, Proud to be black, proud to be a homo sapien.

• If I give you MHO because you are black, is that racist?

• Depends. But thanks anyway.

What Girls Said 9

• No, it doesn't make sense.

Black are proud because of what we overcame.
    We are proud because we are still making changes towards success in modern times.
    Look how long it took to have a black president.
    Should that really have been?
    Look how long it took to have black shows aired without racism.
    Its only been 50 years since the Jim crow law has been passed.
    Does that sound long?

I think you shouldn't dig in the pass about your race unless you can find something to be proud of.
    When you do... then be proud to be White for that reason.

• On a completely different topic, what would you call a person who only talks about the good things he done in the past and never admit to the bad things that he has committed?

• Your opinion is inaccurate. I was simply stating what blacks have gone through and continue to go through since he seems to think our issues only lie within the past.
      No where in my initial response to the user, did I try to insult him (sorry if that's your interpretation).
      Yes, both racial groups have history that they should be proud of.
      However, you must acknowledge the fact that our history is not the same.
      When you choose to hold a blind eye to that , and lump every one in the same category, then you are contributing to a widespread problem.
      People that choose not to acknowledge differences amongst races are usually the biggest segregators of all. They lack empathy, and simply cannot connect with others from a racial background (due to those reasons).
      My main purpose In my response to the asker was to make him aware of why some blacks may have aggression (this is why I gave the many examples that I did), and to tell him that he should look for the positive within his race and

• be proud of that.
      He wanted to create an argument saying, "If blacks are proud of their past, then I should be upset with mine because of what we did to black people". I simply told him not to feel that way that is what was meant.

• I get what you are saying. But I wouldn't worry too much about it, since those events of time are now history and we have long moved on. But the reason you shouldn't feel ashamed is because you werent personally involved in causing black people oppression. And the reason black people should feel proud today is because their ancestors granted them 'freedom'. There is a major difference between feeling ashamed and being proud that we are talking here.

• There is absolutely no difference in the situations just the difference between the meaning of the words, but that does not mean you cannot use them in the context. For example the war of Vietnam, must be a proud moment for the Vietnamese , but not so good moment for Americans as they had to withdraw their forces. It's okay to have different feelings about the same thing because the people facing those are on different sides.

What you are suggesting is that, we should applaud all the good things our ancestors did , and hide all the bad things they did.

• But that neglects to mention that Africans where the ones who started/maintained the slave trade. It also ignores the fact that it was actually whites who ended slavery (in some cases over a hundred years, before any one else did.). I think that ignores everyones involvment and unfairly assigns full blame to whites who honestly where as often (arguablly more so) victims to this system as victimizers. The difference is we have never acknowledged the white slaves (the irish, I want to say 30,000 of them, where sold into slavery by oliver Chromwell in the late 1600s to be sent to the new world and inida (where they where treated worse then the black slaves who where much better adapted to the hot weather)). I don't think its a very fair comparison.

• @hellionthesage This is what I have been trying to say, thank you for putting into better words.

• No not all... you can't fault yourself for something you didn't do however just like the black people take pride in their heritage and the things our ancestors accomplished you do as well.

Like leaving Britian and living in the 13 colonies, winning their independence, forming America. You're not going to be ashamed of that are you I mean after all you could've just stayed under Britains rule and I'm sure you're glad they didn't.

• If the actions done by my ancestors is not my fault, or none of my concern.. Then why do black people get overly concerned about the actions done by their ancestors.. Just looking for some consistency here.

• The same way white people take pride in what their heritage has accomplished. Now that can very consodeing white people are all over the world and are from different countries.

For instance why do white people celebrate St. Patrick's day? Why do we celebrate the 4th of July? I mean we're not the one's that got our independence it happened long ago so why celebrate that? Why get excited over the actions that we didn't do or achieve our self?

That's why.

• You shouldn't feel ashamed for something you had no control over. No one says they feel ashamed for having blonde hair and blue eyes because they felt it promoted Nazism. Especially when they weren't even born near that time.

• But it's okay to feel pride for the exact same reasons.

• No noone should be ashamed to be anything.

• That was what I was thinking when I was beating up my dog.

• no.. we should be proud or ashamed of our personal deeds..

• So it's safe to say that you are not proud to be a muslim?

• Happy to be happy is not a thing , unless sad to be happy is a thing.

• Happy to be happy means I am not sad or indifferent about being a Muslim.. I am happy..

• No one should be proud of something they have no control over.

• I don't think anyone should be "proud" of their skin color, since they did absolutely nothing to get it.

• So can we extend the same argument by saying we shouldn't say,
      Proud to be black.
      Proud to be an American.
      Proud to be a homosexual. etc etc

• But it's okay to call one whole country shitty, when few people of those country might be?

• There are countries that are actually shitty, based on how they are run.

• I never understood why people are proud of their skin color.

• Damn which planet are you in... I mean after all that has and is being done to blacks you still dont get it?

• Of all questions... You just had to mention blacks right?

• @KRUGEN
      Had I mentioned ANY OTHER race, there would always be that one moron, who would get offended by it.

What Guys Said 12

• No for both. Both parties where guilty, both victims. To be proud of the actions of some one else simply because they are the same ethnicity as you is illogical just as being ashamed of yourself because the actions of a few who happened to be the same ethnicity as you. Further more both statements completely ignore known historical facts, that is that Africans where enslaved by Africans and sold to whites, that whites where also enslaved, and that whites where the last to participate in the slave trade (at least in any significant volume beyond being slaves) and the first to make slavery illegal. It ignores the fact taht many whites where against slavery that it was in fact a rich mans institution, the 1% if you will, not the institution of the majority. In fact many where against it because it drove down wages and took away jobs, its hard to compete when they other person doesn't get paid for the job they do. So no, this type of thinking exists purely because we refuse to acknowledge known facts of history not because of their is anything of value in this ideology.

• you can be ashamed of what a race of people did to another race but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be prideful of yourself or people like you now.

Black people are proud because for so long they were told they have nothing to be proud of, that they are worthless. The black pride movement was built around the idea that instilling a sense of pride in black people would help them see that they deserved the rights that they were systematically deprived of and often told they were undeserving to have

• /sarcasm

Society today has made it chiq to be a self-hating white person. you are supposed to feel responsible for what people did 100s of years ago. This is what the PC crowd wants. Who are you to question why there is a double standard? you know that makes you a racist right? I mean c'mon just because your family did not immigrate here until 1910 or actually fought and died in the Civil War for the North is irrelevant. You are white therefore you are evil.

Oh and you are a man so one more evil point for you.

And god forbid you are heterosexual...

ewww and if you are a Christian too... you are basically the lowest form of life.

/sarcasm (this post was brought to you by too much coffee and an abundance of free time)

• That might be correct in it's own but unrelated to my question.

• sure it is, maybe over your head but it is. You asked, "If black people are proud to be black.. Then should I be ashamed to be white?" to which I sarcastically said yes you should feel ashamed

• The thing is, I almost always want a reason which you failed to provide, a yes or no answer won't do for me. If that sarcasm would had explained why I should not feel ashamed then I would had appreciated it, but it's just an exaggeration on the society standards.
      So as a reader, your comment is same as the guy above who said "Absolutely not" without stating why , at least for me.

• Research your bloodline and find out for yourself whether or not to be proud of where you come from. But your pride and self esteem should not be solely based on that. I come from a family of warriors, inventors and philosophers. The white portion of my heritage came from Norway and my family were freedom fighters against black slavery.
    The Indian in me is from the Blackfoot tribe who were American Buffalo herders. The black heritage in me I couldn't find as much on, but I'm going to do an ancestry. com search on that. I could only go as far back as my great great grandma. Some relatives fought in WW2.

I'm proud of all of my history, because that's my family not because they were also black.

• Absolutely not.

• I think racial pride is kind of ridiculous no matter who does it. I'm proud of things I accomplished not shit I was born into.

• I dont know any black guy who is proud just because of his skin color. Probably his cultural heritage because it involves fighting injustice etc etc and thats awesome. What are yours?

• My cultural heritage is stripping the black people from their very basic rights.

• Oooh... Then its a middle finger for you dude. I'll always be proud to be black get over it

• @KRUGEN hey bro, I know, of course its somthing to be proud about obviously. I dont question it. Its cool even. Peace

• to many people get caught up in the past. there is no reason to be ashamed of what people did in the past

• but it's reasonable to fetch pride from the past.. where's the consistency bro?

• you shouldn't get pride from it either. pride is something that you earn, not entitled to

• Look into European history, we invented every bit of advanced technology past that of a medieval level...

• anything that gives you a sense of identity is a good thing. grounds you to build higher without emotionally braeking down

• We blacks say we proud bcoz all that fucked up crap that happened years back still finds its way back among you white folks so we ain't gonna back down and accept to be minorities hence the phrase. "we proud to be black'

• Should I be ashamed for the crap that we did to the black people centuries ago?

• Nop but you nid to understand dude that blacks always say they proud after somethin has provoked them... They dont just shout it out in the street... We take it as a reminder we no longer on leashes

• Black people = Crime = kill or be killed