Why are people on here so afraid of telling the truth?

I've seen a couple of questions today asking for opinions on their art. All drawings they showed us were poorly made, with little to no technique and definitely without a drop of talent at all, but no one dared to say something constructive or just deliberately say they weren't good. Why is that so? Do all people on here simply lack the guts to be honest or are they just being the average PC commenter as to avoid hurting people's feelings?

Most Helpful Guy

• Truth be told, constructive criticism is a difficult skill to hone, and one which requires considerable guts *to* hone, as you're developing an ability to give instruction without it coming off in a way that will make the artist feel like they suck. Until that skill is sufficiently mastered, you risk causing a lot of negative feelings and nobody wants to be responsible for that.

• So even if they suck, we're just supposed to say their atrocities are masterpieces?

• Absolutely not. I'm just saying that's what people who haven't taken the time to build tact do. Not saying it's right.

• Alright then.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because truth hurts and some people can't say it. Or they know nothing about drawings, so they end up saying it's good when it's not.

What Guys Said 6

• I don't know... if I was going to put some art on here and ask for people's opinions on it, I would be expecting some hard truths, because:
    a. not everyone will like my art - that's a given. Art appreciation is subjective and whilst some people like abstract, other's don't;
    b. I would actually be wanting the criticism so I can have some idea on how to improve my craft and perfect my technique.

However, knowing your demographic helps, too, and knowing where and how to ask a particular question to get the desired responses. If I ask an art related question on GaG I can expect everything from an artisan's perspective to someone who has no appreciation of art at all, but if I post my pictures on an art forum, I could expect more 'educated' responses to my question. Ergo, less risk here on GaG.

• One time on a rate me post I told the girl she was just average, in a genuine manner not rude or anything and she went after me with a train of personal attacks Hahaha. Smh

• Well I think it can partialy be influenced by the system here. Like the "MHO" award sort of, is not determined by how honest someone is, but more often on what people want to hear, rather than the truth.

• im curious about this art. anyway to link that to me?

• I don't know I don't care. They could be blind they could have mistyped they most likely don't know what art is but all I know is I'm always honest and I don't care what people think of my opinion.

• Because we are living in an age of decadence filled with hypersensitive turbopussies who are afraid of any confrontation due to their fairly easy and privileged life.

What Girls Said 1

• Did you comment on them and say anything?

• I did and the askers said that I only told them their drawings weren't good out of jealousy.

• Hmmm. Were you rude about it? A lot of people don't take criticism well. Especially if it's not given in the right way.

• No, I wasn't rude about it.