My cat tried to kill me ?

Help. I tried to bath my cat. I know they clean themselwves and they dont need it but only up to a certaon point. PlUs he has flees. I used spray repelants. And went to the ver for drops but it doesn't seem to work. So i decided to bath him. And it worked he hasn't been scaratchinf himself since. And couldnt find anything anyways
He hates wateer.. he hooked his claws in to my skin and i couldnt get it off. He tried to bite. How can i get him to like water?

Most Helpful Girl

• Start out with a small amount of water and then gradually add more. Make sure it's warm, not hot or cold but warm. But when you test to see if its warm use the inside of your wrist instead of your fingers. You can also give them lots of treats before or after they get into the water so that they have something to look forward to and not be afraid to even go into the bathroom. When you put them in the water pet them really lightly and message their head and nose to calm them down. Also, try not to dump a lot of water on top of them and just use your hand to cup the water and pour it on top of them.

What Guys Said 8

• 1. If you want to bath a cat you have to start doing it when they are a kitten. It is very hard to start doing that once a cat has grown into an adult.

2. As for treating them for fleas well some flea treatments only treat live fleas and do not kill eggs. Make sure you are buying a treatment that kills the eggs as well. Another thing is sometimes you have to change the brand of flea treatment you use because after a while a cat can become immune to a particular brand.

• Trying to bathe an adult cat who has not been bathed since kittenhood is a fool's errand.

We use Revolution. It works extremely well. Kills fleas, flea larvae, ticks, ear mites, etc. Main thing it doesn't work on is tapeworms. It's prescription only. We shop around online to get the best price. We get the dog size and portion it out carefully (using 2.7 mg selamectin per pound of kitty, as recommended by the manufacturer) and save a huge amount of money. I've read that many shelters do this. The math is basic but care is required.

Here's the prescribing info:

www.zoetisus.com/.../...rescribing-information.pdf

Good luck.

• Well i tried once when he was a kitten. His still not even one yet. But he hated it so baddly i felt horrible and let him be. But now its different

• Yeah, don't bother. Bathing a cat would be a poor solution even if he had been bathed from birth. Revolution solves these problems and actually creates flea-free homes.

• Use a shower head on a hose to wet the cat and don't make it stand in water. Avoiding using high water pressure that results in excessive noise. Avoiding getting water in the cat's face, particularly its eyes. As soon as it is rinsed, towel dry and they wrap the cat in a dry towel and give it the "baby treatment" for a few minutes.

• Yh i went in the bath wirh him. Gave him treats before i opened the water. Let him get familsr. I droped a couple drops of water on his paws. Aftee that things went crazy. I could hear like a hard aggressive rock playing in my head whilst i was washing him :D

• Don't. Take your cat to a vet, it's like a reaction I guess. My cat always used to try scram me when I got close but now we chill

• You need to get naked and get in the bath with him to make him feel comfortable. Itherwise he thinks you are being unfair to him. Bathing with him makes him relax and cuddle up to you.

• Loool well i already knoow how thats gna end up

• @redarrow hahahaha exactly.. i think im fna have to restrain him down like this untill he gets use to it

• HaHaHa! Didn't fall for that one, huh?

• Put a window screen at the bottom of the tub in the water, and drop your cat into the water on that.

• Cats are the spawn of Satan!

• Bath of milk next time

What Girls Said 11

• Hold him down from the shoulders... And if he is too frightened by the water, it's probably safer to showe him in a sink or a big bucket, rather than placing him in a giant tub which will only frighten him more if he doesn't like the water... Which will result in more scratching...

I miss my cat... It was like wrestling with an alligator!! when I showered him... But I loved him!! And I learned to control it... Holding down his shoulders and petting and talking sweetly in the process 😍 Aww I miss 😔

• Adult cats will never in there entire life like water. There is no point making a crocodile be friends with a rabbit, it just goes against the food chain lol

I suggest you buy flea treatment in form of small tubes and place them on his neck. That does a better job and does not involve water.

• Don't do it man, don't do it! The cat is not going to start liking water. I would suggest a grooming glove for cars, this will help clean him. And get to the vet if the treatment isn't working, are you de-fleaing the house as well as the cat? No point in cleaning the cat and putting him back in a flea infected house.

• fill the water with fish

• Hahaha nope didn't even want a treaat :D

• that depends on your cat's personal tastes..

you may need to buy a mix, offer him a spread.. and see what he likes ahead of time.

• :D will doo

• It's a cat. Cats naturally aren't fond of water. They have their own grooming techniques. If you really want him to get clean, its the pet grooming places.

• Ye let THEM get bitten XD honestly best solution I can think of.

• Asker how are you not seeing the genius of this? Your cat stays clean, and you don't get clawed in the face! Its a win-win.

• Goodluck. Hopefully your cat doesn't itch.

• You can't MAKE him like water...

• You should have done this as a kitten. Get some Revolution for cats. It is the best thing and you will not have to bathe the cat. Cats do not like water. Period. If you do, use Dawn dishwashing soap, but put a ring of the soap completely around it's neck first, so all the fleas won't run up into his/her eyes and head. Good luck.

• I honestly don't know what to say.. but be extremely careful when it comes to cat scratches. I worked at a vet as Vet Assistant and was a newbie; one of the Vet Techs were drawing blood from a cat, a coworker and I was holding down the cat. The cat was highly aggressive and no one told me when a cat goes crazy let go... I had that cat in the air holding it so it wouldn't hurt itself and didn't even realize what was happening to me. Long story short, I had HORRIBLE scratches from my wrist to my shoulder and they had to wash my arm off immediately and treat it. Cat bites and scratches are full of bacteria. My coworker almost lost her thumb to a cat bite.

• Oucchhh.. ooooff hope. your beteerr. Thanks for the advice

• I am sorry I don't have any tips but do they really do that? Is your skin okay?

I want a cat but darn this makes me reluctant.

• Looooool im fine. Just a little scratch kidnof thing
      doesn't hurt its just the panic. Hea actually lovely first time he got violent. And i think he only did that to climb on me and get out of the water. His only like that if i get him near water

• Oh, lol😄😄

• Haha good luck XD cats just don't like water bro!

• You have to start bathing cats when you first get them and they are kittens. Even then there is no guarantee it will work.

• @Applefan1 well good!!!

• Hahahahaha yeah!!!

• You sorta can't. I have to cats and they have mostly white fur with grey and orange patches and I have bathed them since they were kittens and they still hate the water. They get dirty a lot, cause they have white fur. So I have to give them baths a lot. Some cats hate water and some don't. So I bought these thick rubber gloves that reach like all the way up to my elbows and I pray that they don't put up much of a fight.