Does the past makes us who we are today?

I hear people say the past is the past, that the past shouldn't define who you are, but if there's no past, there's no present, ergo, your decisions brought you to where you are now.

I do believe the past makes us who we are in the present.
What do you think?

• Agree
  • Disagree

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• You are a culmination of all your experiences, which help guide your decision making in the future. The trick is to be open minded enough to not keep making the same mistakes.

What Girls Said 11

• yep, totally on the same page here,

• The past makes you who you are in the present.
    And the present makes you who you are in the future
    Viscious cycle we have here.
    Ok. Sounded cooler in my mind :p
    Anw yea it s a succession of actions interlocked that affect who you are.
    Yes the past is the past but you ve learned smthng from it and made decisions based on it in the present which would later on affect your future ;)

• Yes, of course.

The past moulds us and influences our character. Whatever he do in the present is the result of past events.

Are you trying to catch some girls out on the topic of sexual partner count, eh? 😁😏

• Hahaha no, but it did made me think of this question. Not just girls, also guys say the past doesn't matter, it doesn't define who we are, which I think is bullshit, and I've been reading that soooo many times.
      If they wanna have 3244 sexual partners, go ahead, but don't say stupid shit like the past is irrelevant.

• You don't need the past to define your entire being, especially when you've done shit you're not particularly proud of. But to pretend like it doesn't matter is just plain dishonest.

One's past is directly responsible for what sort of person you become in the future. If someone went back in time and undid certain things in your past, chances are you'd have an entirely different mindset, ideology and character.

• I think it does.

• Totally with you. The past has shaped us as humans. It provides us with experience and knowledge. Without that, we wouldn't be who we are today.

• The past doesn't matter at all. Only how you look at it... and change it and grow from it to shape who you are and want to be, now.

To others, the past shouldn't even come up, in my opinion. If you love someone for who they are, you just need to know and understand who they ARE and who they are to you. Not who they were.

• I simply couldn't agree more with you.

• Past shapes our present, I believe, however our today self is free and flexible enough to shape our future. We should learn from the past, meditate about it, but never let it define what we do next. We are what we are today because of what we decided yesterday, but we are not forcibly stuck to it, we can leave and try something different.

• Wow. Look at that unanimous vote!

• Yep, past shapes our future, no doubt about that 😀

What Guys Said 7

• I would add third option - maybe/partially, but I voted Agree...

• The past is what shape the person who we've become depending on the enviroment and the people around us

• Our pasts define and shape us in both the future and present.

• Absolutely! We are molded through our experiences...

• Our experiences in the past help build the people we are today.

• My past is the reason why i'm on GAG

• It definitely does not, use your past as a tool to guide your future