Any ideas on where to visit in Europe?

I'm going to be traveling to Europe with some friends next summer and it would be cool to have suggestions on where to visit. They're just going to visit Portugal but I would like to stay longer and visit other countries on my own. Does anybody have any suggestions for places to visit?

I would be more than willing to meet traveling companions I could meet up and say hello to as I make my way around too. Lemme know if anyone is interested in this. Murderers and serial killers need not apply. Only cool people who wouldn't mind giving my suggestions or showing me around their neck of the woods.

Most Helpful Girl

• Go to the Netherlands 🌌 we have awesome people. I don't think my parents would be okay with me meeting a almost 30 year old guy I met through the internet though...
    Places to see. Hmm, I'll give you some non-obvious suggestions.
    - Croatia. It's amazingly beautiful. Not only nature but also the cities are great. Country is very underrated.
    - Italy, Milan and Venice are great. Although Venice is totally PACKED with tourists in the summer
    - Czech Republic. Prague is a beautiful city
    - Bulgaria. My dad recommends this. He says it's pretty much the most beautiful country of Europe. Together with Norway.
    - Norway. Nature is amazing
    - Turkey. Istanbul is an amazing cultural city and the Turks are very friendly.
    - Switzerland or Austria. Salzburg is beautiful.
    - Brussel in Belgium. Basically only Brussel is nice in Belgium but it's a great city.
    - München or Limburg an lahn.
    - The Netherlands ofcourse. Go to Amsterdam, Haarlem, Utrecht or Den Haag.

by the way I go to Portugal every year. Lisbon is kinda nice (don't get pickpocketed though) and Porto. Other than that nothing really. Nature is kinda boring and the whole country is kind of a mess.

• lol I wasn't expecting any takers on the meeting up bit. I just put it in there in the hopes that I wouldn't have to be alone for most of the journey. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Wales. If you liked Lord of the Rings, go visit Wales. Go see the castles of Edward I. The castles in Wales are pure weapons-grade bitchin. They are not "pretty". They are not ornamental Sleeping Beauty castles (like many castles in Europe). They are growling, snarling, grim faced fortresses of war, often with very bloody histories.

The nearby Yorkshire Dales are like the Shire. Quaint and friendly with rolling hills and ancient hedgerows, it's a beautiful land with a collection of barns and inns that are often older than the United States.

What Girls Said 20

• Ok if you go to Italy, you have to visit the Amalfi Coast!! I've been and it was beautiful!!! Its a little island in Italy, it has narrow paved streets and little hotels and restaurants and shops. You can even take a boat/ferri to Capri which is also beautiful.
    If you decide to go to France, i've only been to a place in South France and i forgot the name, but yes, South France is beautiful, although Paris is North I think?
    If you go to North-Western Europe, DEFINITELY go to Ireland! Many of my ancestors originated from Ireland, making me very Irish and i've always been compelled to go, i've heard its extremely lush and green and very mysterious and ancient.
    Greece would be very beautiful because it has so many islands and ancient ruins, and you can see the ocean from anywhere in Greece.
    So yes: Greece, Italy, Ireland, and France. :)) Some options.

• Well there are a lot of beautiful places. But croatia and italy are nice. Do the Dubrovnik. naples area and rome tour
    And Ireland is pretty in summer but you basically need a car to see the highlights and you need to drive on the left side

The alps obviously are beautiful as well but one of the most expensive areas. But I think cities like Vienna, Geneva, Prague or Munich are way nicer in winter. You'd be missing out in summer

I honestly don't think spain and portugal are that great. Maybe Mallorca or Ibiza if you like to party and the canary islands are great as well. If you're there might as well go see morrocco

• Come to Luxembourg! :D
    Lol jk if you wanna see some nice places make sure you visit Switzerland, Paris, Rome or the Garda lake in Italy & London in the UK - oh and maybe Amsterdam as it has a very unique architecture and Berlin if you're interested in history or technology :)

• I'm really happy that you chimed in. Thanks for the suggestions :)

• Well let me know what you've decided on once you've conducted all the research you need lol - if I've been to the place I might be able to tell you some nice not so typical tourist spots because that's what I'm all about when traveling around haha

• That sounds awesome. I'll definitely do that. Thanks for everything seriously.

• Lucky bastard I'm extremely jealous of you now. :P Even more jealous of you going to Portugal since my boyfriend lives there. :P :D

You should try Scotland, the islands that are apart of portugal, pompeii italy, Greece, Berlin, amsterdam, copenhagen, tuscany, transylvania, warsaw, stockholm, Oslo, Switzerland. That's all I can think of right now.

Though when my boyfriend went to Edinburgh, Scotland. He talked to a travel agency to help him plan it. The hold up in London was extreme hell with his flight.

• I'm actually going to be starting in the Azores. Sao Miguel island. I know all about hell in european airports.. I was stuck in Germany for 9 hours once.. It was INSANE.
      Anyway thanks for the suggestions ;)

• Germany would be interesting to visit. Hearty food, good events, beautiful places to visit.
    Also, Greece. Visit the ancient sites and feel a sense of awe of time.

• I would suggest you talk to a tourist guide.

• OMG u neeeed to go to Santorini, Greece.
    Spain also looks amazing!

• You want to travel Europe ALONE? That's ballsy. I could never do that. I've only been to Paris and Barcelona but they were both worth it. But if you go to Paris, make sure to GO TO THE EIFFEL TOWER because our tour group didn't get to go and I'm butthurt to this day.

• lol perhaps I'll meet a friend in the meantime who could afford the trip. I won't be alone in the beginning though.

• Lol I'm trying to picture someone giving you a hard time and you just looking down at them like "really?"

• Yeah I'd say "really?" then I'd walk away lol

• Stockholm I mitt hjärta,
    Låt mig besjunga dig nu,
    Åldrad I ungdomlig grönska,
    Öarnas stad, det är du!
    Av städer jag känner I världen
    Är du den stad som fått allt
    Genom Mälarens kärlek till havet
    En blandning av sött och salt.

You should visit Stockholm.

• Amsterdam!

• Malta, Croatia, south of Spain, Sicily and since you will be in Portugal, Morocco is near too.

• Finland? hello

• i've been to London and parts of Greece

wasn't crazy about London but i enjoyed Greece
    if you go there, you should definitely check out the smaller islands like Hydra or Aegina
    Santorini is nice too

• Ahhhh COME TO LANDAN. Hahaha, Amsterdam is a must, seriously even if you don't bun there's nowhere like it. Corfu is beautiful, Prague is breathtaking. Honestly there are so many places.

• Start with Portugal then Spain. Italy. Germany then Holland.

• I suggest Italy. Milan to be exact.

• i recommend london, paris, copenhagen, oslo and vienna

• Very interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks Coco.

• Skip the last three. Sure, Copenhagen, Oslo & Vienna are worth visiting, if you have the time, but people should definitely focus on visiting the more significant places that have a greater history and culture. Not to mention there will be far more to see and do. Replace Copenhagen with Barcelona. Replace Oslo with Rome. Replace Vienna with Athens or Istanbul. It's a no brainer. Also, Copenhagen, Oslo & Vienna are all in the top 10 most expensive cities in the world. Why not go to a cheaper European city with more to see and experience. But that's just the way I look at it. No disrespect to your opinion...

• Are you interested in seeing countryside, cities, cities with a lot of history, or the ocean?

• I can really appreciate anything. I love architecture, nature, and art the most.

• I plan on going to the UK in a year with my sister and brother. We are avoiding France because the french are rude. Or any places like Spain or Italy because we plan in the summer and they are very touristy during that time of year. Which is another thing to consider. But I am Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and the Netherlands are beautiful.

• Very nice. Thanks for the suggestions :)

• Turkey is charming
    great food , great views , great people
    so many beautiful places
    the culture

• Good idea. Where in Turkey would you recommend?

• Istanbul <3
      its just a heaven on the earth
      Izmir too
      one of my friends been there and she was crying when she left turkey

• Wow that's a pretty powerful emotion. I'll have to check it out someday.

• You could visit Germany, Greece, Italy. I wish I was old enough to be a ble to travel with my friends and traveling companions. Damn it

• Hey I wasn't too much older than you when I first visited Italy. I think I was 17 and went with a big group of people. If you really want something I know you can make it happen :)
      Germany and Greece are good choices too. I'll have to look into things from there.

What Guys Said 18

• EUROPEAN ITINERARY...
    Lisbon, Portugal (2 days)
    Faro, Portugal (4 days)
    London, UK (4 days)
    Amsterdam, Netherlands (2 days)
    Paris, France (4 days)
    Prague, Czech Republic (2/3 days)
    Barcelona, Spain (4 days)
    Rome, Italy (3 days)
    Venice/Lake Como, Italy (3 days)
    Dubrovnik, Croatia (2/3 days)
    Athens, Greece (3 days)
    Santorini, Greece (3 days)
    Istanbul, Turkey (3 days)

You could see all the highlights of Europe and experience 9 countries in one month if you are serious enough. My itinerary may cost you $6,000, but again, it depends how serious you are about seeing Europe?

• I love Italy. Florence (and Tuscany in general), Rome, Assisi and the Amalfi Coast are my favorite spots

Love the South of France
    I've heard and they are on my shortlist of places to visit that Germany, Czech Republic, Denmark and The Netherlands are all amazing places

• Thanks for the suggestions man.

• have fun dude. definitely would like to hear how your travels go. in my opinion you can't really go wrong where you go (I suppose except for some war torn places at the moment) but every place seems to have something awesome to offer

• Thanks. I'll probably make a take about traveling or something and have loads of pics up.

• You'd need years to visit all of Europe
    I've been to:
    Portugal: Lisboa, Oporto, Coimbra
    Spain: Madrid, Barcelona, Andalusia
    Italy, about all of it.(Rome, Firenze, Venice!)
    Austria: Vienna, Salzburg
    France: Paris, Loire region, Provence region
    Greece: Athens and a 6 day tour of the Peloponesos with a rented car
    Germany: Berlin, Leipzig, Rhine valley
    Netherlands: Amsterdam, Utrecht, Delft.
    Belgium: Brussels, Bruges
    Turkey: Istanbul

• Yeah I know it would take a while. What would you suggest out of those for one trip? What would you focus on?

• Thanks man.

• TAP is their aviation cy: http://www.flytap.com/

• Come to the UK, you seem like a cool guy :D
    Places to go here:
    ~London (specifically the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew)
    ~Oxford
    ~Bournemouth (where I live), a coastal town with the best beach in the UK. We also have the Jurassic Coast.
    ~The Eden Project in Cornwall
    ~Stonehenge
    There are loads of other places but I don't have enough time to list them all.

In Europe, you could go to Italy, there are LOADS of beautiful and interesting places there, like Venice (trust me, Venice is a once in a lifetime experience), or Rome. Maybe Switzerland too, it's a nice place.
    I hope you enjoy your trip next year :)

• Definitely not Paris. Holy fuck.

• Estonia, France, Italy, Germany, Poland, Spain, Portugal, Great Britain, Belgium, The Netherlands, Greece, Hungary, Belarus, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Finland, Turkey, Ukraine, Austria, Bulgaria, Moldavia, Croatia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Malta, Cyprus, Czech republic, Lithuania, Latvia, Luxembourg and Ireland

• That's a lot of places. Could you narrow it down to places you'd like the most?

• Thats every country in Europe, unless i missed one or two, personal favorites, although it's not very well known, Estonia is a beautiful country, the cities are magnificent, and it has a brilliant history. I'm British, so i'd recommend visiting this country, London is an incredible city, but if you visit, be sure to see scotland, wales and Ireland (the republic and the northern part), France is incredible too, although there's been shootings recently and the borders are closed, i recommend visiting at some point, also, visit at least one of the scandinavian countries, and one country in the baltic sea (like italy for example), both have amazing cultures and food, and finally, you need to visit a sea-side town in Greece, the food is stunning, the architecture is brilliant and the scenery is incredible.

• Thanks for narrowing it down man. I appreciate it.

• What type of trip do you want? Also timeline/budget? Do you want to see as many places as possible or just make the most of a small area? I'd recommend buying a EuroRail Pass. You get unlimited travel by rail to almost all of Europe. Plus some of the views you get from the train, especially in the Scandinavian countries is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you want to chill around portugal, then visit Spain and Italy. Spain for the beaches and festivals, Italy for the culture.

• Ah thanks for the rail idea. I didn't even think of that. I don't have a huge budget but it is big enough to spend a good amount of time with if I travel light and sleep in hostels and stuff lol

• Oh hell yeah. Wifi would be a must with long trips. Seriously you've been really helpful. I appreciate it.

• No worries. Have fun!

• I would have said "my place" but you're not a pretty girl :P

• I adore Greece, Slovenia, Czech Republic, and Bulgaria.

Italy isn't too bad, just remember Venice is very touristy and expensive.

• We can make a whole list here. Depends on what you like to see.

• I just like experiencing different cultures so it can really be anything. What would you like to see?

• No. Go anywhere as far as possible form urban areas. But more specific suggestions, no. Europe is dead anyway.

• lol okay thanks bro.

• Riga in Latvia is cool. Im going to Krakov, Poland in August for a few days but not confirmed yet. But yeah id meet up with u

• Just go to Iceland, and you'll see everything you'd want to see

• RUSSIA CYK
    is Russia in Europe

• Alicante, Spain

• Im from Croatia and over the summer I would recomend it.. many tourists here and beautiful nature :)

• Chipotle. Is there anything else to say

• Italy is good, France is overrated and full of the French, Britain is always raining, Czech Republic is da bomb.

• I've actually toured Italy like 10 years ago but I do want to visit again someday. I missed out on a lot because I was with a large group unfortunately. Why do you recommend Czech Republic?

• Good vibes, nice people, nice architecture, cheap and tasty beer, hot women. haha

• Pretty good reasons lol

• Don't come to the UK it's a shithole. I say explore Denmark, Sweden and Norway, also Germany is must see country.

• I would LOVE to make my way around Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. My ancestors come from that region actually. I've only seen the inside of a German airport unfortunately. Are there any particular sites you'd recommend in those places?

• Sweet I'll try to make my way up around from Portugal to Scandinavia and back down to Germany. I gotta really plan for costs and all that. Thanks for the suggestions, bro.

• You're welcome and good luck.