Do you get offended easily?

I feel like everyone in 2015 gets offended by everything. did you guys hear about the whole Starbucks red cup thing? This guy was offended over a cup 🙃

Most Helpful Girl

• "easily offended" is like, a cop out explanation used by people who are desensitized or emotionally detached enough that nearly nothing gets strong emotional reactions from them, for why some people behave emotionally. it's a made up personality trait by george carlin and other whatever stand up comedians who were mad about people criticizing their act or 90s censorship crusading mothers. it doesn't exist in 2015 as an actual thing.

whenever you think someone is "easily offended", there's probably an actual explanation for their behaviour that makes /some/ kind of sense. granted, though, in the situation you referenced, it is pretty ridiculous - a lot of American christians are sort of searching for reasons to declare themselves an oppressed minority, basically because, they've heard people criticize American conservative christians, and they think that's equivalent to having racism directed at them and they want excuses to lash out or prove that they're under some kind of threat. so, starbucks changes from Christmas to not referencing Christmas directly, and they think, as they've thought with all this stuff, that it's Christmas under threat because they took the "christ" out of it.

i said their behaviour had reasons, not that it was smart. but it gets dumber.

instead of boycotting and starving money from starbucks and trying to make the business venture a failure, they are ACTIVELY GIVING AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE TO STARBUCKS. they're going to starbucks and saying their name is "merry christmas" and acting like they got one over on starbucks. some are saying they're going to go every day! they are ACTIVELY MAKING IT FINANCIALLY SUCCESSFUL, HOLY SHIT.

Most Helpful Guy

• Far from it. I really hate the 2015 PC culture. I am firmly for freedom of speech which DOES include the right to offend. I should be able to say n**, cunt, slut and faggot at any place or time. Ok the only exception I'd agree to would have to be kids. They don't need to hear it. But if an adult is offended by a mere word then that's not my problem - that's their's entirely.

What Girls Said 21

• Yes... lol. I mean I don't have a bitch fit about it but I even get self conscious when people laugh, I legit think they're laughing at me. And when people say the littlest thing about me like "your hair looks frizzy" i'm like *-* YOU COULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING NICEEEE

• “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

• Agree! We are raising the biggest generation of pansies. So ridiculous. Life ain't fair, and if the worst thing that happened to you at the end of tje day is that you got offened... you're living a pretty apple pie life.

• I've been legitimately offended about twice that I can think of. It's a very difficult thing to offend me, I'd be impressed if someone could. That Starbucks thing was the most hilarious thing to blow up. People need better things to do with their time.

• People getting offended offends me. And as a white Southerner, there is a lot to get offended about.

The cup thing... is ridiculous. They say it is war against Christmas and Christians, but whining isn't the Christian thing to do. Jesus Christ was nailed to a cross for everyone's sins (not His) and all of these "Christians" are whining over a coffee cup. Instead of relying on people to manufacture us Christmas (in the form of a coffee cup or whatever) we need to regain the true spirit of Christmas. Instead of boycotting starbucks (not that it would even hurt them), people need to find someone who is down and out and buy them a cup of coffee or something in that spirit.

People today have the victim complex. It is really sad.

Christmas isn't about a coffee cup. Its about peace and love, hope and joy. Its about giving. Its a spiritual revival to get you through the year.

People talk about how Christmas has lost its magic through the years and as they grow up, but that again shows the victim complex. Christmas isn't "losing " anything. People are throwing away everything good and joyful about the season with both hands.

• No, not really. Rarely, if something someone said or did and it bothers me, I just stop talking to them completely.

• Not particularly. I know that my MRA hate followers will find this hard to believe, but I am remarkably difficult to offend.

• Sometime I do!

• Lol hell yah, even while at work, I'll be cleaning and someone comes up to me and says I'm following them, and that I'm being discriminating. .. like its stupid nowadays

• ha i know!! its crazy. sometimes i do get offended easily, like if someone talks badly about something i care about a lot or about a family member of mine for example. but to get offended off some red cup is just RIDICULOUS. these days you can't say anyyything without somebody getting butthurt and disagreeing.

• No, but I am very sensitive. I wouldn't get offended over a cup. What exactly was he offended by?

• He was religious and offended that it was a plain red cup with no Christmas decorations because he thought they were "taking Christ and Christmas out of the cup"

• Haha exactly what I said. I honestly think it could of been made up by Starbucks to get publicity because the video of the guy ranting about the cup got millions of views.

• I wouldn't be surprised either way. Omg people are so pathetic sometimes.

• well it depends on days...

• I do not get offended easily.

• Heck naw, I don't even get offended when something was intended to be offensive. Unless you are fucking with someone I care about I don't give a rats ass.

• I'd like to think that I don't because being offended easily sounds very tiring and I already have too much on my plate.

• No not really. I tend to be sensitive to people's perceptions of me, but things that people cover like the damn red Starbucks cup? I wouldn't even care. Haha.

• not by everything

• peostitutes get offended? Maybe

• Sure most people get offended easily this days and that just says that parents are not doing their job correctly. Yes! If parents would stop awarding a child even when he/she loses, if a parent would stop feeding the ego of their children and teach them more of emphasis, humbleness, knowledge and innovation sure things will be different.

Most people get offended simply because the things other do are not in their "code"/belief system, things they that are "wrong" to them are not wrong to everyone else. If we keep agreeing with this behaviors will will be living in a self centered world. How funked up that is!

• Not really.

• Nothing really offends me...

What Guys Said 30

• The only thing I'm offended about is the fact that I'm associated with all of these whiners. People need to grow up. Reality isn't politically correct.

• That guy sounded like a nut job tbh.

Personally I'm not offended very easily.

It's not like starbucks put pentagons and inverted crosses on their cups. It's not even starbucks fault, it's a culture thing, they'd offend someone if they had kept it the same, and they offend others by trying to keep everyone happy. Their just trying to be PC like every business dose, they hardly have a choice.

• 0|1
  • Nah, not anymore.

When I used to but that was away back when my self-confidence was low as well as my self esteem.

Now I hardly can get offended. I brush off any insults and mockeries pretty effortlessly sometimes even reversing and turning the tables into making the person who's throwing the insults feel bad or insignificant.

• Ha. Look at my name.

• If I don't approach someone in a "joking" type of way, then I don't want them to come at me with a joking manner.

• 0|0
  • it's pretty hard to offend me

• I mean it depends. Oftentimes I think people get offended when no offense was even intended. I let those things pass. If someone blatantly goes at me, well then I abuse them 👼🏻

but ya all the whining about the red cup is stupid in my opinion.

• Not at all. The only things that would upset me are insults towards those I love. Other than that, nothing gets to me.

• People have thin skin today. Everyone too bitchy and like to make assumptions about other people.

• Hah... of course not. Takes a lot to offend me.
    I can handle racist jokes, 9/11 jokes, jokes on sexuality, nearly anything to be honest.

• Nah, I don't think so. I can't remember the last time I got offended by someone/something.
    I agree with you, way too many people get offended by small stuff. It seems like some people are actively seeking things to become offended by.

• No, I don't. I may have when I was a kid, but not so much anymore. Yeah, I agree. People have been getting offended so easily since 2000. Hell, even before that probably.

• lmao no it takes a lot to offend me.

• I can be offended more easily than some (though not very easily generally) but I know when it's best to just keep my mouth shut about it.

• I used to, i just stopped caring though

• No, but yes some people freak out easily sometimes, it's ridiculous

• I don't get offended very much at all... Unless someone talks bad about my parents and my brother, then I take it personally.

• It takes a lot to offend me.

• no not at all

• no not at all, i have an extremely high level of tolerance on that sort of thing

• Almost never

• No say and do what you want.
    Plus fuck that cup guy.

• I don't get offended easily. I didn't even react when this racist guy called me a cracker.

• Offense has become out of control these days. You have the freedom of speech, not the freedom to "not be offended"

Do some things offend me? Yes, certainly. But I don't call it "triggering". Anything that pushes the wrong button is an opportunity to learn why it affects you so much. Plenty of things bother me, yes, but I learn from them, I don't censor them. I don't blame my discomfort on everyone else.

Which is more likely: That you can disarm the entire planet, or that you can buy a bullet-proof vest?

• cuz they're a bunch of pussies I say f*** them all

• I hate when people are not including me and Christians in everything! I feel persecuted when others do not feel as I do.

• Naw you can say whatever the fuck you want around me. From racism-sports topics *shrugs*

• Self entitlement conceited people these days