Do you hate people who share different opinions than you? Can you befriend someone who has very different ideologies?

I'm asking this because I'm inspired by these late events.
I personally believe that it's possible to befriend someone even if they have very different points of view. The secret resides in RESPECT. If 2 people respect each other they can definitely have healthy relations.
For example, I'm an Arab who obviously supports Palestine, and one of my very good friends is a Jew who obviously supports Israel, we do have mature civilized arguments once in a while in which we respectfully share our opinions, both of us are very attached to our opinions but it didn't come in th way of our friendship because we respect each other.
We all have the right to have our own opinion, to reject an Ideology, to disagree, but we, as human beings should at least try to respect each other if we want peace.
After all, we're all bound to have diverging ideas and if we take every single subject in life, we most probably won't find a person who agrees with us 100% in all of them.
If I had to turn my back on and disrespect people who didn't agree with me on everything, I would have probably boycotted more than half of my family and friends.
What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends. There are cases where people have different opinions than I do but I can still respect them because I understand where they're coming from and that they have good, rational reasons for holding these opinions.
    However, there are many other cases where other people's opinions are simply idiotic. This has nothing to do with being ignorant but rather, I acknowledge that not all opinions have the same value. Unfortunately, many people have fallen victim to the huge understanding that "freedom of speech for everyone" automatically means that all opinions count the same. This is absolutely not true. Some people know much more about something than others. For example believing that some evangelical priest's opinion about the theory of evolution has the same discursive value as the opinion of a scientist who's been studying evolutionary biology for the past 20 years is simply asinine. Especially when it comes to politics and religion, opinions often correlate with factors such as education. There are countless researches that show that having a high degree of education directly correlates with being politically left and only mildly religious or completely atheistic. Now, this doesn't mean that all conservatives are stupid rednecks but over all, many conservative or religious opinions are based on very animalistic or archaic views and feelings about the world and I can't possibly regard them as equal.
    In the case of Palestine and Israel for example, you said that "he's a Jew, so he is of course for Israel". The truth is that this "of course" is actually not quite right. Being Israeli or being a Jew has little to do with being a Zionist. You can be a Jew and still find zionism idiotic and you can be christian or muslim and still think zionism is something good. Personally, I am neither Arab nor a Jew but I can't possibly understand how anyone can be in favor of what Israel is doing to the Palestinians. Israel has a fundamentalist and extremely nationalist government and they allow their orthodox people such as the settlers to treat Palestinians like a bunch of cockroaches. I have yet to hear any smart and rational argument why it is okay to steal somebody's land, lock them into a small stripe of land and treat them like shit and later complain that they get angry at you and shoot some rockets over the border. So in this case, I really can't respect the opinion of Zionists.

• Makes sense!!! And yes, I think I did a mistake by saying that obviously all Jew are Zionists.
      And of course, not all opinions have the same value, if the opinion preaches violence and hate, I most probably wouldn't respect it neither...

Most Helpful Girl

• The key is to talk about things friends can agree upon, while avoiding certain topics that might cause some disturbance. There are somethings that I disagree with even with my family, but we get along fine because I just don't bring those topics up when I talk to them.

Unfortunately, sometimes even with your best friend you cannot talk about everything.

• Yes!!! I completely agree with you on this point (avoiding certain topics) that's what we do, we rarely talk about this we disagree on, but if we do, we try to do it in a respectful way.

• Yes, this is why I am glad that there are different people in my life, who I can talk to about certain things, if I think the other would find it offensive. For instance, my Dad is more open to talking about controversial topics than my Mom.

What Guys Said 8

• Yes. I'm an atheist with Christian and Muslim friends. We talk openly about current events sometimes and it can get pretty interesting. I think the major issue facing the world nowadays is that people only befriend and associate with people who think and feel like them. I think this creates an us versus them mentality and causes people to be incredibly biased. The truth is there are always shades of grey. It's enlightening to learn and experience different cultures because it opens our minds and helps us realize that we are all individuals with dignity and worth.

• That completely depends. Some ideologies are essentially dealbreakers for me; but usually it's okay. It really depends.

I've noticed it's hard for me to take people seriously if they talk on and on about how girls act and behave and should do things and are, and how boys act and behave and should do things and are.

I typically just look like this then ignore them.

i3.kym-cdn.com/.../OpoQQ.jpg

• no I don't hate them... you gave the explanation yourself, too lazy to write it again in my own words

• I don't because how do you know if you are correct without looking at the other person's perspective?

• Logic-based ideologies yes. Faith-based, no.

• If all of is became like u and ur friend the world will be peaceful

• most things are relative. while friendship requires some common interests and goals you can have friends who aren't like you at all. also no matter how big the ideological differences are escalation of violence of any form is never acceptable.

• I don't get upset with anyone and I'm willing to listen as long as they are rational. I can't say I respect people's opinions if they aren't reasonable, that is if they don't constrain their arguments to a logical framework.

What Girls Said 3

• Yes I can. As long as he respect me back!

• I have friends who have completely diff ideologies and opinions than me, even opinions that I consider dumb and stupid no offense to them. At the end of the day, I'm not their friends because of our common mentality, but because they're good people, good company, and they're cool people.

• I have Muslim mother , an atheist Dad and Im just spirtual person who strongly belive in god but I dont follow any religion some times we disagree a lot but its fine as long as we respect each other :)
    by the way my ex boyfriend is christian and we never attack eacth other lol even we broke up because of another reasons :)