MANUAL DRIVERS PLEASE HELP?

Random topic: I was wondering how you turn a corner in a manual car. I typically go to 2nd gear but normally I hold the clutch and the brake in while turning and then release the brake and slowly release the clutch giving the same ratio of gas. My dad told me this was wrong and I need to downshift and release the clutch BEFORE turning.

Is what I'm doing okay or is it bad? This might seem so simple because I started learning a few months ago.
Thanks guys!

Most Helpful Guy

• Is just making a turn that doesn't require a stop I never mash the clutch in other than down shifting for the turn. Once in in the proper gear I let the engine slow the car and brake if needed. If you hold the clutch in through the turn / corner any driving instructor would give you crap saying that's wrong

Most Helpful Girl

• downshift and go into first gear, after you turn the corner, then go up to second gear.

• You're not supposed to downshift into first gear if the car is still moving. I meant turning the corner from like 3rd or 4th gear

• You can't turn a corner when you are 3rd/4th gear, unless you want to smash a car when you take a corner late. Downshift a gear.

• Yes I know what I meant is downshifting from a 3rd or 4th gear but thanks

What Guys Said 2

• I did that sometimes but you really should just downshift before the turn and just use the brake a little then once you complete the turn you can shift up again

• Yeah I just find it hard to slow down in time and impatient drivers behind me are always up on my ass which makes me panic a little hahah

• Well your doing better than other women your own age , over here in the US most don't even know what a manual transmission is or does and will probably never know how to drive one. I use to have some manual shift cars once in awhile but I drive a 10 speed manual tractor trailer most of the week for a living so I need a break driving home😊

• Wow that's crazy :o haha yeah I find manual makes me more focused on the road compared to an automatic transmission not to mention it's quite fun ^.^

• You should turn with the car in gear and clutch out and it's illegal to change gears gear in a turn in most countries

What Girls Said 2

• My dad told me clutch first and than hit 2 relase slowly and than speed up

• It's better to ride less on your clutch when you can.

But, i do what you do if I didn't slow down enough before turning haha.

It won't kill your car. Just better to practice shifting and then getting off the clutch. It'll last longer.