Dubbed or subbed?

do you prefer dubbed or subbed anime? i personally prefer subbed by a long shot and i find that people who like dubbed usually haven't given subbed a good try and usually give up because it's too hard to read and watch but one actually gets very used to it after a while but maybe im wrong. maybe a lot of people like it better just becasue. its just that the subbed translation is just as close to the original as you can get and japanese voice acting is usually better while American voice acting is usually quite lacking. what do you guys think?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm kinda new to anime and I prefer dubbed because if it's late at night I can barely read most of the time xD so it's easier to listen. I also like being able to look up for a couple seconds or do something quick and I'll still be able to know what people are saying since I don't need to listen.

I think I tried subbed a little bit once

• yeah subbed does suck for multitasking. that the only downside for me though. it gets easier as you read subbed though :) what anime are you watching? what got you into anime?

• I heard a lot about AOT but most of my friends are telling me to watch angel beats so i might watch it next

• oh I've never see nit but I've heard its good. another good one to watch is Tokyo Ghoul. that's a classic

Most Helpful Girl

• I love this question right now! Subbed is good when you are trying to learn a new lanugage like me and it feell so natural. Dubbed seem so forced and different yet i don't have to look at the subtitle and can focues on whats going on. It just depends on your preference... sometime i wish i could understand japanesse.

What Guys Said 9

• Subbed for me. The Japanese voice acting preserves most of the emotional undertones of the character's lines, as compared to English dubbed voice acting.
    Unless the anime is intended to be watched with English voices like Black Lagoon.

• Easily subbed. English voice actors are usually incredibly shitty for anime I'm sorry to say.. In plus the Japanese language just sounds way more passionate than English does.

Potential spoilers but.. damn English can't sound that dramatic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QadRDXBLAUY

• oh for sure! SNK is amazing btw! it's definitely up ther ein my favorites. the animation is just beautiful!! SNK and Sakamichi no Apallon have the best animations in amine in my opinion. but while Sakamich no Apallon doesn't have pretty artisty the animation is just amazingly fluid and life like!

• It depends. There are some animes that have phenominal choices in voice actors for their dubbing.

Macross Plus sounds amazing in English and all the voices fit the characters perfectly. Brownie points because Bryan Cranston is the voice actor for the main star.

• I cannot stand subbed. I don't get the dramatic feeling from Japanese that I do from English. It always feels like a monotone NPR story. Plus, I can't keep up with high-intensity scenes. I have to keep rewinding to see what the heck they're saying, and then the magic is lost.

But the most important thing of all is Christopher R. Sabat. Nothing makes a story pop quite like Piccolo 😁

• Obviously subbed, English voice actors tend to suck unless the performance is exceptional. Hellsing's Alucard for example is great, or Black Lagoon is pretty decent, but Steins;Gate's Kurisu pisses me off to no end in English.

• Definitely dubbed.

• Both os preferable

• English mutha fucka, do you speak it?

• I don't watch anime.

For other movies though, subbed.

However, we are perhaps being snobs. The reality is, not everyone reads quickly, and for them, subbed would be hell.

What Girls Said 4

• I go sub in almost every instance, but when it comes to Ghost Story, you absolutely have to go dubbed 😉

• same with Hetalia for me! you can hear the accents better with dubbed haha xD

• yeah they are! but i dont usually read manga. i was like a huge reader when i was a kid and i still love it now so whenever i read graphic novels it feels like picture book and i feel like im cheating on traditional read lol. kinda a dumb reason but any sort of graphic novel is supremely unsatisfying to me but that's awesome that you enjoy them!!

• Hahaha I had the same thing for a while, but then I learned to appreciate the style and the art. Hetalia isn't really one of those mangas with great art, but there are others like Soul Eater where you just can't help but appreciate how it looks.

• Depends. Sometimes I like dubbed if the voice actors are good, but usually I watch subbed.

• Subbed.
    Has to be subbed.
    Subbed isn't hard to read at all?
    Lol.

• yeah i don't think so either. i honestly find people who prefer dubbed kinda immature but maybe that's rude of me :/

• Subbed... without any doubt... :-)