The green eyed logic puzzle. Can you solve it?

A mad dictator takes one hundred green eyed hostage on an island. The dictator stated that only those with green eyes may leave. None of the hostages have ever seen their eyes and all reflective surfaces have either been covered or removed from the island. The hostages are forbidden from speaking to each other about the color of their eyes or of other's eyes.

Now, because of pressure from human rights groups, the dictator allows one human rights activist (you) to enter the island and interact with the prisons. However, he has set certain conditions, which are 1) you can only make one statement and 2) you cannot give them any new information.

What can you say that will help free the prisoners without breaking any of the conditions?

Most Helpful Guy

• All of your neighbors have green eyes.

• Giving new information

• No it's not. They each individually know that their neighbors all have green eyes, and you're not telling them anything they don't know. By announcing it publicly, they know that it applies to everyone equally. You're not telling them, they have to infer it for themselves.

• Right okay that is one way to tackle this problem

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 4

• you all have green eyes

• Can't do that you're giving them new information

• you are all free to go

• Again giving them new information. They don't know that they themselves have green eyes. They know that their companions do but they can't tell them. So by you saying they all have green eyes, is giving all of them new information which breaks the condition you agreed to abide by

• My statement would be there's a boat over there mate

• I would tell then to follow me and I would lead them to the boat and of the island

• Giving them new information

• hmmm if it an order it would work, but as a statement it seems to have lost it's effectiveness

• Now I'm planting a thought which will spread due to a lack of it need it needing to be censored. My presence will also prompt natural curiosity and some will follow out of desire

• Wow, I don't know. I'd really like to know the answer to this!

What Girls Said 2

• I'd just be like, "Yall are free to go"

• Giving them new information :( sadly you'll incur the mad dictator's wrath that way

• Upvotes for this brainteaser. Lol.

• You all have green eyes now let's go