Do you believe soccer is a sport based on math?

Yesterday I saw a dream and dis phrase has stuck on ma mind since then…. i was supposed to be a kart racer…. and I was tryin to finish a solo race under 2 mins…

I was doin very well…. till a former classmate popped up at da end of dis track…. he was practicing soccer solo...

I asked him how he’s been since we’ve to see each other for ages…. and he told me he was practicing soccer…and he also told me he finished all “math-soccer” courses…I asked wot he meant by “math-soccer” and he told me….

“dude all u need to know’s soccer’s based on math….”

Then his coach walked by and he said….

“yeah yer friend’s right…. i tell u as well it’s based on math…”

I don’t remember much after it…but dis phrase has stuck on ma mind since then….

So do u believe soccer’s based on math?

• yes...
  • no...

511

Most Helpful Girl

• The only math involved is counting how many goals are scored at the end.

I'm pretty sure Wayne Rooney doesn't pratice long multiplication as well as taking free kicks.

• how about angles and stuff like dat? geometry (which's a part of math) doesn't play any role?

• @JessRoxHard That's not true! They have to count the ridiculous amount of money they get as well! :P

Most Helpful Guy

• Everything can be based on mathematics though.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 4

• Maybe if you're trying to be really technical about it... some people might be like, it's physics and that involves math but mostly I think it's just a game of intuition, reflexes, and making good life choices.

• Not really.

• i play football and no not really... its just passing it down the wing then shooting and counting the score

• It's based on a lot, but not on math

What Guys Said 10

• you can use math to some affect in almost all sports or business for that matter.

you can do analytics to determine how much a player can run (which all teams employ when determining fitness)
    you can do analytics to determine how certain players statistically respond in certain situations
    and of course math is used heavily from a personnel management standpoint

but when the game is on math can for the most part be cast aside as it can't with any certainty determine what a person will do in different circumstances

• Definitely! Sure anyone can tell you the number of soccer goals scored is just addition math...

But gravity is described by math. When a soccer player kicks the ball, the ball goes up and then it comes down. That means there's a single brief moment the ball wasn't going up or going down, meaning the ball was weightless in the air. That's when the balls Derivative is zero! The path the ball travels is a parabola. The vertex (highest point) the ball traveled was when the Derivative was zero.
    The spin of the soccer ball also comes into play that can make the ball not only go up and down but side to side. Like a spiral. That's described in Calculus 2. Then goes into greater detail in Calculus 3.
    I could totally talk nerd about this all night, but to answer your question yeah there's math in soccer...
    Nothing to whip out a scientific calculator and notepad to work calculations about while playing tho lol.

• All sports are physics.
    There are scientist who make the balls a certain way so that it works for the sport. Ever ask why soccer isn't played with a basketball?

• ever tried? it's really hard to play soccer wid a basketball and vice versa...

each ball's designed for a certain sport... well in soccer's case there r many alternatives... kids often play soccer wid soda cans or water bottles...

• I'm talking about professional sports. We've all played soccer with whatever around.

• it all comes down to technique, athleticism and decision making

• Dude did u type this with your face or something?

• nope wid ma fingers... y?

• The fact that half the letters that spell this words correctly r replaced with different ones?

• it's a personal style...

• cool story bro.

• soccer is boring. they should get rid of offsides and make the goalie a bit bigger.

• Our very own reality itself is a mathematical model.

• it's probably in the top 5 least complex and/or mathematical sports.

• I play soccer on a regular basis, not once have I thought to do any sort of calculation.