Is it just me or do people not meet your eyes when talking to you anymore?

I've been noticing this a lot lately.. I was out eating with someone and none of the waiters or anyone working there met our eyes when communicating. Isn't that common courtesy to show that you're listening to someone? It could just be the nature of the town I'm in right now but I've never experienced that level of disregard by a business before. We went to a dessert place afterward and it was the same way. The lady working behind the desk didn't look up once while taking the order. I just wanna be like "hey I get that I'm taller than most but my eyes are up here not on my chest" lol

has anyone else experienced this? What's your story?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have anxiety so it's tough for me to make eye contact. I do make eye contact when I first meet and try to hold it as long as I can, but I have to look away momentarily. I always look back, though, and be polite.

Most people stare at me, and that makes me uncomfortable. I mean, I appreciate the respect they give me, but I don't know if it's just my anxiety that kicks in... I dislike being looked at. I am working on both of these issues, trying to hold eye contact longer and trying not to get uncomfortable when people look at me.

I am sorry that the ones talking to you are not showing courtesy.

Most Helpful Guy

• For me I would always usally avoid looking into peoples eyes cause I would just get so overhwhelmingly much impressions. I always sort of just seen right through people to the extreme, so after just a couple of seconds I would know pretty much everything about the person and nothing would be a surprise anymore of what they say or would not say. I dont know if im psycic or lord knows. But i gotten better at just blocking stuff out over the years. But thats just me, why I dont know, but yeah I have noticed it more and more, and no doubt is cause of technology. People spend more time behind a computer or phone these days than with human interaction that a lot just kinda become shy in person or withdrawn.

• Very interesting and true. Thanks for sharing!

• Welcome :). You seem like more of the wiser types on gag, so hope you dont mind. But I will be following you :).

• Thanks for the compliment! It's not a problem at all :)

What Girls Said 10

• No not at all, usually if a person doesn't look me in the eyes, it's because they're shy and nervous. I've never interacted with someone at any kind of customer service job that didn't look me in the eyes. When I'm at work I always make sure to look everyone in the eyes and smile.

• Me too. I always thought that's just how you talk to people. It's bizarre when it isn't done lol
      Thanks for sharing lumos.

• I always give eye contact. It's not necessarily me being polite, I just get creeped out by lips and will do my best to not look at them. Bonus points because it makes me look interested and polite.

But yea, I do kinda notice how people just are like actively avoiding eye contact. Especially those in service positions. You go to a McDonald's and they'll just stare at the screen like you don't even exist. Bastards lol

• I used to look at people in the eye and somebody complained that I "stared" at them when I was talking to them.

• I think eye contact is common courtesy and polite... but there's always that one who looks all bug eyed with crazy eyes lol

• I can't look people in the eyes really. Though that has to do with the fact that I have adhd/Asperger's. So trying to keep eye contact for long feels extremely awkward. Even with my boyfriend sometimes staring into his eyes gets awkward after a point. Though I don't get why it happens.

Though if it's in a business environment then I will suck it up. Looking them in the eye and act natural even though it's killing me on the inside.

• That makes sense actually. I definitely wouldn't judge you for that :)

• *hops inside the box cause I'm a kitty and most cats just do that* haha 🐈🐈🐈

• @Toad-1 Oh well if your a cat then it doesn't matter if you stare :P it only freaks me out if people stare. :P

• I have I didn't care!

• I'm very guilty of this.

• I find people want to look me in the eye TOO much. Like stahp.

• Oh I can't speak with anyone without staring deep on his eyes that nakes me feel if he is liar or telling the truth
    even it helps a lot to feel the other person's feelings
    I can speak with my eyes without saying a single word with my lips

• it's very important here

What Guys Said 10

• It is more common now a day. I can't say if they are just more detached or if it's just not a part of their comfort zone. It's becoming like the hand shake back in my day , a thing of the past

• Yeah it's bizarre because that's how I was raised to talk to people. Maybe the internet and social media has conditioned people away from it.

• I admit with the addition of so many ways to no longer be face to face while communicating has decayed social skills. I would have to say you are on the right track for finding the culprit

• Spiritually eyes are window to souls, you seriously want everyother persons impression on your soul.

www.quickmeme.com/.../...4924613519ab5d84a9943.jpg

• Yeah that's why I like looking someone in the eyes when I talk to them. It has more meaning and significance.

• Kids were taught, not to stare at people.

• It's not that they're not listening to you- they are. But some people just can't look people in the eyes (myself included).

• Well I mean I know I personally have a hard time with eye contact. But that draws back to an overall lack of confidence in myself and has nothing to do with disrespect

• I'm starting to realize this maybe one of the causes so I kind of feel bad now lol

• It is just you. It's not something that was culturally acceptable nor has it been in the developed world for over 50 years.

• My friend's wife frequently will not look me in the eye and IT'S ANNOYING AS FUCK!

• When i look someone in the eyes you just can see the life in them, and you just understand a whole lot more.

• Cause people are becoming social degenerates, especially the younger generation. Yes, it is uncomfortable to look people in the eye but still fucking do it. It is a sign of respect and acknowledgement to the other person.

• Very true! The way I was raised it was a common courtesy to extend to those around you.

• I don't like making eye contact, stop looking at my soul!