Can Someone Explain What It Feels Like To "Feel Ugly"?

I never read the book the Bluest Eye but I know it's basically the book the movie Precious stole all it's ideas from--a dark girl gets called ugly every which way she turns and in the end she literally breaks from reality and thinks she has blue eyes and then goes to some abandoned section of the town even though she's still a child...

Anyway I came across this quote from the author:

I wrote The Bluest Eye because someone would actually be apologetic about the fact that their skin was so dark and how when I was a kid, we called each other names but we didn't think it was serious, that you could take it in, so the book was about taking it in, before we all decide that we are all beautiful, and have always been beautiful; I wanted to speak on the behalf of those who didn't catch that right away. I was deeply concerned about the feelings of being ugly.

Setting aside racism and just talking about being ugly. I've always been considered handsome even if I wasn't someone's type so I'm curious to know what sort of inner feelings come up when you go through a time in your life when you feel ugly if anyone's brave enough to share...

Most Helpful Girl

• You can be attractive but your mind plays tricks on you for whatever reason making your self-esteem low.

What Girls Said 2

• i've been fairly ugly since puberty till now. it just feels like you're a disjointed noodly appendage. no matter how you dress, exercise, or feel, it's just never enough. then at some point, you just accept the fact that you were born with crappy genetics.

• Technically no ones ugly because there is always someone who likes u for you.
    And being told you are ugly for certain reasons that don't matter is a really bad feeling. Just picture someone saying you are stupid because you made a C or F and everyone else made A's or B's

• i didn't say anything about being ugly i said feeling ugly. you can't be a concept...

• um not really? kate upton could have been told she's ugly everyday when she was a child doesn't mean you are ugly. being ugly is mostly relative although there is some objectiveness depending on the society thats judging but again what i'm talking about is feeling like you are a bad looking person... i want to know what that feels like. now, you're little and so this may all be a lot for you to understand but no one blames you if you can't.

• U know what I'll let you win because I don't have time to argue with u online so congratulations u win the stupidest argument in history lol😐😄😑😕

What Guys Said 3

• Not the best feeling, you kinda feel useless and whenever someone talks to you you're like "wait, you're talking to me?"

• Imagine being cheese, the fermented moldy remains of fresh milk, and then you realize while people will take you and even find you delicious you are still fermented moldy remains...

• It just feel like you are the worst ever!