Do you give money to beggars at the train station?

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope. The ones who want money to get home to some other town or city? If you are feeling that charitable, say you have no cash but you'll go to the ticket office with them and buy it with your card. Most will run off because they don't actually want a ticket, they want money.

I saw someone on either Reddit or Citydata saying they had someone asking for transit fare, so they gave them a spare transit token they had. 20 minutes later they passed the same beggar trying to sell the transit token to passers by.

It is terrible that this is the case but what can you do?

Most Helpful Girl

• Stopped giving money to most homeless people :/ cause several times I have asked them if they are hungry, and I said I can go and buy them something at maybe subway etc but they say oh no, just give me the money and I'll do it myself. And I ask why they don't want me to buy them anything they don't respond. And I realised the only thing they wanna buy is alcohol or drugs... :/
    and also, when I lived in China, literally all the "homeless" and "disabled" people were there cause of organised crime. Some had their limbs cut off on purpose by the criminal gangs in order to look more desperate. It's so incredibly sad. so give them money and you're basically giving money to an organised crime group and not for a good cause.

What Guys Said 23

• I don't give money to any beggar or homeless person. However, I will ask them if they are hungry and buy them something from the nearest store. I don't mind spending $10 worth of food/groceries on someone who's hungry, but I refuse to give them a $10 bill for them go off and spend it on something that they don't need such as drugs and alcohol.

• No. I think most are phony, or too lazy to work, or both. I've actually wanted to try it before, just out of curiosity to see how money they bring in. I'm willing to bet that they make more per hour than the average person does working.

I've watched the ones at busy intersections before. Just during the couple on minutes waiting for the light to change, I see those guys take in a fair amount of money. I'd guess that someone hands them money about every second light, It's usually multiple bills that are handed over. It probably works out to $20-40 or more per hour, tax free.

• 99% of the time NO.

• I work in Los Angeles (at these Wetlands) where homeless is rampant.. They absolutely destroy the environment, abuse drugs like crazy.. I know they all are not bad but I no longer give money for that reason.
    Plus.. I'm a college kid.. I dont have much spare money to lay with

• The bigger problem is that these poor people work for others.
    They are distributed on cirurgical places around the streets to get more money, that partially goes for people that exploit them. It's very complicated to distinguish between those and true homeless people.

• Never give money. If you want tog I've them something, offer to give them food. This is a simple and efficient way to know if they are scamming you or actaully serious.

• we don't have beggars/homeless people where i live so no. and i only go on the train about the 1 time a year when i go to nyc.

• I rather give them food cause they might spend the money on smokes or something. I don't know but apparently it's illegal to feed the homeless in my state. smh

• I never do, they are all liars 😢 basketball, yeah right...

• No, I don't. If only I knew who was truly a beggar, then I would. But there's those frauds out there that are just evil and keeping money away from those that really need it.

• i usually just buy the ones outside of a convenience store beer.

• I've give money to beggars on occasion. Haven't been at a train station before though.

• No, but I do give food though

• I have given away thousands of dollars i'm practically a saint lol People are like leeches when you help others though. They multiply oh can you lend me a 20 or can you give me a ride here or there ugh damn people

• I do, once bought someone a drink and a sandwich too lol.

• no, i never give beggars money

• No, I donate to homeless shelters. It makes better use of resources.

• nope only performers in the train station.

• Nope. I don't fund drug or alcohol purchases.

• Nope never have never will

• No.

tenchar.

• not really, it's a tough world... duuuh.

• I used to, not anymore. One dude wanted some change, I gave him some change. I offered him some canned food that I just bought and he declined. Like seriously? You're turning down food, u just want money? lmao okay. Fuck that, go make ur own money

What Girls Said 13

• No. Frankly, I'm pretty broke myself, I need every cent I have. And it's not uncommon those people just spend it all on alcohol. I have bought dog food for homeless dogs thogh. Cats too.

• Actually, beer is pretty caloric. You could survive primarily on beer.

• No, my boyfriend will though if we're driving and they're walking along the side of the road. I don't like the idea of giving money I have no idea what they're going to get with it and most of the time they don't put it to good use.

• At the train station no. At other places sometimes. If I gave money to beggars at a train station everytime I saw one I would have to become one considering I live in Chicago and both of my parents work there.

• Never, but I have bought beggars a meal on a few occasions. I gave a homeless man some blankets and pillow one time. He greatly appreciated it. 😊

• No I wouldn't

• I have not been to train station in a long time.

• No I don't. So many of them fake being that poor. Once saw this guy who asked for money while he way sitting on the ground and only had one leg, next thing you know he has two legs and walks home. And at another time, my friends and I saw a lady who was sitting on the ground right besides a bench, complaining about starving and freezing, like wtf then sit on the bench

• No as begging is an industry and most are career beggers not genuine cases.

• I never take the train station

• Depends on my mood, Most of the time they use that money to buy drugs.

• Sometimes, because these days you dont know if they are just fake people asking for your money or people who actually need it.

• No. But I do donate to the food pantry here to help local homeless people. I just want to make sure the things or money I donate go to the right cause.

• Yes I always do not because I feel bad but mostly to just get them out of my hair