Do you distance yourself from people who have depression?

I find that people distance themselves from me if I am honest and open about my depression.

Sometimes I just need someone of offload to, someone who will listen , but I now just hide my pain, and smile 😖

to**

Most Helpful Guy

• No I'm not wired to run away like that. I have always been the one in your place when in need I'm usuall on my own.

• Thank you! 💐

• Thank you young Lady

• Welcome!! 💚😊

Most Helpful Girl

• My boyfriend used to suffer from depression, I stuck by him and helped him as much as I could. Just because you have depression doesn't make you any less of a person.

• I close friend has distanced themselves from me. I miss the friendship we had.

• Some people don't understand depression. You did nothing wrong whatsoever so try not to beat yourself up over it :( have you talked to these friends since they distanced themselves?

• I have tried to , but the one I was really close to hardly responds to my messages etc anymore. It seems like he is responding out of politeness , but doesn't want to really keep in contact. I try so hard to act like I am not depressed, just so I don't push people away.

What Guys Said 3

• No I don't, but when I WAS depressed I pushed the people around me away.
    I have a friend right now who is in a depression and he knows he can always talk to me, and usually we'll talk for hours

• I have realized lately that I have pushed people away, but I know it is too late to fix our friendship. I have allowed myself to be ever so lonely due to pushing them aw

• Yeah it's a mistake
      My friend got a little bit more quiet now, so I'm forcing conversation at the moment

• I won't distance myself to someone because they have depression, but I will if they come to talk about it, then start ranting or complaining instead, which is awfully normal.

• What do you mean? Complaining about what?

• Your friends could go through a bad time at any given moment. I imagine you will turn your back on them.

• If they suddenly start complaining, they are pushing ME away, it's not me turning my back on THEM. They have other friends then me, so if they feel the need to complain they don't have to go to me. I can help with other stuff

• Not at all. I like to help people who are in any sort of distress or pain.

What Girls Said 3

• no, I get depressed a lot myself. when I can, I try to help them through it, if they want. if not, just giving someone your company is good enough sometimes, I know it helps me.

• I agree! Sometimes I just need company. Even though they can't help me

• I distance myself from most people :/ . Never because they have depression though. If anything if I like them that makes me want to get closer to them because I want to help. My closest friend (who is also the guy I'm in love with) has depression and he's the one person I always want to talk to pretty much regardless of how I feel. I'll always listen to him if he needs to vent or talk stuff through that's going on

• Not usually, I have depression and always have so I'm really understanding. I did distance myself from someone who did but there were other things involved (drugs and crazy behavior) because it was toxic and I tried to help but couldn't.