Christians have a religious obligation to kill witches, yet in most countries doing so is against the law - is that an affront to religious freedom?

Christians have a religious obligation to kill witches, yet in most countries doing so is against the law - are christians being persecuted? Should they have religious freedom?

https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Exodus%2022:18

• Yes, there should be complete freedom of religion.
  • No, there are more important things than religious freedom.
  • See answers.
Any other views on this?

Any Christians feel marginalised by this restriction?

Most Helpful Girl

• Religious freedom is a farce made up to do bad things. 😐

Most Helpful Guy

• Your 'freedom of religion' should never by any means outweigh or interfere in the freedoms, health, and safety of other people.

What Girls Said 7

• Laws should not be made based on religion. If you change the law to suit Christian beliefs. You are forcing non Christians to live by Christian beliefs. I'm sure Christians would not appreciate being forced to obey laws based Muslim, Jew or Hindu religions.

• Exactly, the idea that something being part of your religion in some way justifies it is silly, if you can't do it for a secualr reason then it shouldn't be allowed for a religious reason either.

• Witches don't exist.

(If you have a verse, please cite)

Christians also have the commandment "Thou shalt not kill".

• I'm a Christian and I've never killed anyone.

• Would you not kill a witch?

• (Ask a stupid question and you deserve a stupid answer.)

• Please get some help

• That line from the Bible doesn't mean to kill witches. It's a deliberate mistranslation of the scripture; the people who developed the King James Bible changed 'Thou shalt not suffer a poisoner to live' to 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live' because they wanted to demonise Paganism and spread their own religious ideas. It isn't religious obligation, it's powerful people manipulating religion based on their own prejudice.

While I do take your point, I think as long as it doesn't harm anyone people should have their religious freedom. You gave the example of the burqa in another opinion comment - people who wear the burqa are expressing their identity by choosing to dress that way, and dressing in a way that they feel comfortable. That shouldn't be banned because it's a choice they make that's to do with their own body (preferring to cover up) and doesn't hurt them or affect anyone else at all.

• Technically, that's in the OT, so Jewish folk would apply here.

Personally, I think you shouldn't force people to do things against their religious beliefs, but that they should be prohibited from public funds, tax breaks, positions or other government regulated perks if they don't comply with the law of the land. Crimes should still be crimes, though.

• "Technically, that's in the OT, so Jewish folk would apply here." As well as christians and possibly muslims too.

"Personally, I think you shouldn't force people to do things against their religious beliefs"

We shouldn't force Christians to not kill witches?

• I've never heard of this or is it just the nuts in America that do this one?

• Kill witches? Very few Christians actually do everything they claim they believe in.

• Witchcraft in a way is a religion of its own (like Wicca) so I don't agree with it.

• If it wasn't almost a religion you might agree though?

• Not as such, I just thought it was funny.

• Ah, okay!

What Guys Said 12

• In the US there is this little thing called , separation of church and state. Where the Gov isn't to tell the churches ( what ever faiths ) how to conduct things pertaining to their faith. Yet they still run many of them down and try to discredit one religion while upholding another. The Gov minding it's biz here is a farce much as it won't stay out of the biz of other countries

• You think the government should get out of the way and let Christians practice their faith?

• Yes I do , the churches aren't up there trying to do the Gov's job or tell them how to do it

• Old testament quote confused again? Yea it's very common with people, but first of all, things changed with the new Testament when Jesus came here to die for us. Also old testament refers to things way before our time a lot of the time meant something way different then it would now.

• Have you read the new testament?

danielmiessler.com/.../

• "You are taking text from like 6000 years ago and trying to put it into today's world, sounds pretty stupid to me."

That's how atheists see religion, you're getting there mate...

• So what happend 6000 years ago doesn't matter? That's even more stupid. The more you know about the past, the more prepared you'll be for the future. Obviously what I'm saying you don't seem to get or understand but I can't get it though your big thick atheistic skull so why bother? You don't believe it, that's great. Now quit blurting out flaws you think you see in a religion because you don't understand and want to hide all the flaws in what it is you believe... nothing... we came from nothing... we were created by nothing... nothing but a big bang and accidentally happend. Sorry, but such beautiful things don't happen on accient, to me its stupid to believe they did.

• If it is there's nothing to stop me from starting my own religion with all kinds of backwards medieval principles!

• Exactly, the idea that something being part of your religion as justification for doing it is ridiculous.

• I agree, it carries no privilege whatsoever.

• Is she made of wood?

• FYI witches are still killed in parts of the world. Predominately in Islamic countries, although some Christian areas in Africa still kill them as well.

• Yes but it's illegal in most countries, even those with a high christian population.

• I'm pretty sure a vast majority of Christians would oppose any attempt to make it legal to kill witches...

• They realise God is wrong about witches?

• They might argue that as we are not the Jews living directly under God in ancient Israel, that it's not our concern.

• Same goes for the commandments right?

• We should hire Islam extremists to blow them up

• And that is the way religious wars start.

• Because witch hunts were banned?

• No because us witches can and will fight back.

• This is the thing. Everything in the old testimant kinda became obsolete after Jesus came. Jesus kinda said love thy neighbour no ifs ands or buts. So, you know I can't really show love through killing them can I now?

• So it's alright to love my neighbour and covet his wife and his ass (and her ass)?

• Jesus said it was not ok tocovet thy neighbours wife nor any of his stuff.

• What about his wife's ass?

• Is this serous or is it just trying to bash Christians.

• two birds with one stone.

• People at times argue that banning the burqa is an affront to religious freedom, the point of this question is to demonstrate that if we accept religious freedom as a reason to allow something we would be allowing absurd things to occur.

• Dude you're really dumb. Exodus is the Old Law, how many times must Christians explain that we don't follow the Old Law we follow Christ. Hence we are CHRISTIANS.

• Have you read the new testament?

danielmiessler.com/.../

• Do you not believe God is omniscient?

He created Adam in precisely the way necessary for him to decide to rebel - rebel meaning to taste a piece of fruit, a great reason to punish billions of his incestuous descendants.

• No he created Adam as a sinless man with a free will, and Adam faithfully served God. Then when Satan came to tempt him in Eden, God allowed it. Because free will involves a conscious choice to do or do not. God trusted in Adam to be faithful to Him, but Adam fell to Satan's tempting and rebelled against God.

As a result Adam became a sinful man and all of his offspring inherited this sinful nature. God could have destroyed Adam and started over, but instead He chose to create a plan to redeem Adam's offspring, to make holy again that which was corrupted. You can whine at God for allowing you to be born with a sinful nature, but God can do whatever he wants. He decided to give us a chance for redemption instead of destroy us.