Is tomato a fruit or a vegetable?

• Fruit
  • Vegetable

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• It is fruit. I know hard to believe! !! 😂

What Guys Said 27

• Is a pizza vegetable?

Yes, the people that make school lunches likes to say that. There's apparently enough tomato sauce in pizza to fulfill a serving of vegetables..

"Allow USDA to count two tablespoons of tomato paste as a vegetable, as it does now. The department had attempted to require that only a half-cup of tomato paste could be considered a vegetable"

• they are fruits by their plant species

however in culinary world (chefs and what not) they are referred to as vegetables

still they are truly fruits

• I guess it's a vegetable, not sure though

• It's a vegetable that looks like a fruit. Such vegetables are called "fruit-like vegetables" (Eggplants, Peppers, Zucchini, Squashes and Pumpkins etc).

• Scientifically it is a fruit, but culinarily it's a vegetable.

• Technically it's both.

In botanical terms, the seed bearing parts of a plant are fruit, while stalks, leaves, and roots are vegetables.

Culinarily speaking, any part of a plant that's sweet is a fruit, while anything savory is a vegetable.

• So sweet potatoes and sugar beets are fruits and plantains and breadfruit are vegetables?

• "A plantain, or cooking plantain, is one of the less sweet cultivated varieties (cultivars) of the genus Musa whose fruit is also known as the banana."

"The root of the beet contains 75% water, about 20% sugar, and 5% pulp"
      Compare to sugar cane
      "A mature stalk is typically composed of 11–16% fiber, 12–16% soluble sugars, 2–3% non-sugars, and 63–73% water.

I don't know about beets but I have chewed cane and it is definitely sweet. The plantains I've eaten tasted starchy by themselves.

• @Tromba cooking plantains are unripe plantains. No fruit is sweet before it's ripe.

• I always call it a vegetable

• We look at Tomatos as a vegetable but what it really is is a Fruit.

• A tomato is a fruit. It is the offspring of the plant, which is why it has seeds.

Vegetables are edible parts of a plant, but not the reproductive part of the plant.

• In that respect, cucumbers are also a fruit (although classified as a vegetable because of its low sweetness level)

• I can't see a tomato as a fruit. I just can't. It doesn't taste like fruit at all.

• We take it in veg and its always found on veg shop.

• It's a fruit, as proven in many ways. It's not a root. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. If it has seeds, it's a fruit. Peppers, cucumbers, etc.

• It grows exactly like a fruit. It starts out as a flower and produces seeds.

Also, a banana is technically not a fruit. And a watermelon is not a melon. It's a berry.

• Bananas are berries too. So are tomatoes. Raspberries and strawberries, annoyingly, are not.

• A banana is both a berry and a herb! It's probably one of the weirdest botanical examples around. Because the banana 'tree' isn't really a tree (it has no woody trunk), the plant is classed as a herb. The banana fruit, because of the way it forms, is classed as a berry.

• @EasyForYouToSay Interesting... Dammit bananas!

• They are for me a complementary vegetable.

• Technically its a fruit. But who puts tomato in a fruit salad?

• They are savory, they are not used in sweet dishes - therefore, they are vegetables.

• Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.

• Veggies don't have seeds, it's afruit

• 0|0
  • I thought it's a fruit

• Its a fruit

• Its a berry

• Can't it be both? It's definitely a fruit anyway.

• It's vegetable and that's a fact.

• A fruit of course, just a savoury one

• They are actually a berry.

• A fruit since its seed bearing even though we look at it as a vegetable

What Girls Said 13

• People say it's a fruit but I'll always see it as a vegetable.

• nutritionally it's a vegetable, but it's considered a fruit because it has seeds. at least that's what my high school ap biology teacher said haha

• Intelligence is the knowledge that a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

• Not this again...

• It's a vegetable, fruits are mostly sweet and they usually grow on trees. So what if tomatoes have seeds - Chili Peppers also have seeds , but they are obviously not a fruit.

• I wish it was a vagetable. lol :) It tastes like a veggie.
    The fruit that I eat is... sweet.

• Its suppose to be a fruit!

• It's really a fruit many people see it as a vegetable though.

• It's a fruit!! Of course!! 😉

• Butttt!!! For a cook, it's considered a vegetable!! since it aids as a spice to flavoring.

• Tomatoes are fruits, and are actually classed as a berry.

• tomatoes are a fruit

• Tomatoes are a fruit. During early America, there was a higher tax on fruit, so businesses labeled them as a vegetable to get a lower tax rate.

• Tomatoes have seeds, so it's a fruit.