Thoughts on "designer" babies?

Yes, I'm digging into a highly controversial topic. But it will become real one day.
Designer Babies: Choosing what features your baby will have - eye colour, hair colour, skin, etc etc. Choosing what kind of personality features they will have - shy, outgoing, intellectual, playful. And so forth.
Currently IVF can pick out the best sperms and egg cells for a healthy baby. And who knows when we'll be able to choose what our baby will look like.

What are your thoughts on it?

• Sounds awesome
  • That's horrible and should never become a common practice.
  • Not sure how I feel about it.
    Vote C
  • If that's what people wanna do, then let them
    Vote D
Select a gender to cast your vote:

624

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's the positive benefits I see:
    You can design out bad genes that could cause birth defects or disease. It would be nice to design out autism or sickle cell or other things.

Here's the negatives I see:
    Parents will design their kids to be as pretty as possible so they can enter them in pageant competitions.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you can design your baby to not have any form of mental retardation or genetic disability, then I say go for it. However, if you're trying to design your baby to be the next Einstein or a world famous athlete, then you're kind of a control freak.

What Guys Said 23

• You're not quite correct about it. Choosing stuff like eye or hair color (or even the baby's personality) is considered impossible by almost all present-day scientists. In fact, this was a pretty big topic in my country just 3-4 months ago and all scientists who were invited to speak on national television explained that "designer-babies" are actually not a feasible thing. The human body has over 30,000 genes and we're not even close to understanding what every individual gene's function is, let alone understanding how they are all interconnected and what consequences certain changes and gene-swapping would have.
    If it was possible, I wouldn't want to have it on our planet. It would be a very dangerous thing to have as it would create a society of super-beautiful, super-smart people. Anyone who wouldn't be such a designer-baby for whatever reason (moral reasons, religious reasons, cultural reasons or, most importantly, financial reasons) would most likely be excluded socially and discriminated.

However, I am not generally against genetic medicine. I am very much in favor of procedures such as PIGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis). PIGD is basically what you briefly mentioned in your question. It's when doctors look at a sample of sperms or egg cells and choose a fit one because the father-to-be or the mother-to-be suffers a serious disease or disability. In the US and Britain, this disease is legal, However, in my country Switzerland it's still illegal and it's very frustrating for me because I'm somebody who is personally affected by it. I suffer from a severe visual disability and the risk of my future children having the disability as well is 50% (my girlfriend's eyes are fine). As you can imagine, I want my future children to be healthy and I find it appalling that my country is still so stuck-up about it (especially since I don't live in some second or third world country).

• Cool so thanks to this "designer babies" am I going to have cell as my child? anyway we already can influence on how ours children will be by choosing the right partner. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkp6Te1adrg

• It's a terrible idea. It's immoral, it's unethical, and it's just plain selfish. Parents ought to accept their children as they are. If they try this "designer baby" stuff, then what they've made is a drone rather than a son or daughter.

• As @BlueCoyote stated, the impossibility was the first thing that came to mind.

Other than that, I think picking appearance is a petty thing, though any diseases or disabilities that could be avoided should be. I think having a healthy child should be the top priority and choosing the best gametes to fertilize and produce the healthiest baby could be a great thing , especially to avoid such unfortunate diseases that can cripple someone in life.

• I think it's a great idea, I support the progress of science :)

• Babies are not toys, if we have babies, we should make them fit our standard for society, not for our worldly pleasures.

• Eugenics has been kind of a no-go after WW2, I don't see it coming back anytime soon, in whatever variation. It's against our current ethics.

• Terrible idea, certain features will be bred out of existence based on media influence!

#Fascism

• Manually controlling genetics is very risky. Never fiddle with it I'd say.

• What the? Nah imho we should just let nature do it's thing

• I can see how that could choose how the baby looked, but how could they alter the personality?

• I support it.

• "Designer" babies? What the fuck is this world coming to?

• FACK no. HAVE U EVEN SEEN GATTICA?

• we're probably going to eradicate ourselves before it gets this far.

• Best idea for a baby ever. I can make the perfect offspring the way I want.

• I sense trouble...

• So how can this be done if outside of a test tupe? And with the real parents?

• This sounds horrible...

• The only things I would ever alter if it were possible would be to make sure they aren't born with any severe birth defects and are not prone to certain diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.

• I'm for it, though I think it would be best just to pick the best at first, rather than insert genes. It's about the only way the human race is going to solve it's problem - to have better people.

• no thank you I don't want to live in this world !!

• Eugenics... disgusting.

What Girls Said 5

• I think it is ridiculous. I would have picked much different features for my children and yet they are much cuter than I ever could've planned.

• Not sure how I feel about it.

• Not a good idea

• I say let them. I don't want kids, but I see no harm in having kids you'd actually be proud of.

• I thought they already do that.
    My teacher once mentioned something about picking eye color of the baby.