Why do people think a guy and girl are more than friends when they are not?

If a guy and girl get closer and become good friends. If they talk and joke around and stuff why do people think something is going on with them, think they are dating? Can't a guy and girl be just friends?

Most Helpful Guy

• If both are single, people think that they can't be just friends because, and i quote from a friend, "they'll both want to fuck each other if both are single". Also look at this way. Take your bestfriend and make her a guy, if said friend is not a guy. Are all the things you do with your friend the same things you would do with your boyfriend? When most people see two people of the opposite gender hang out together, we assume they must be a couple because we usually expect a gender to hang out with someone of the same gender... or we assume that one of them is gay or both are. Hehe that last part was kinda sarcastic. Me, i think its possible for them to be just be friends, hell my bestfriend is a girl. Hope this kinda answers your question.

Most Helpful Girl

• because they are stupid !!! Thats how my parents treat me!

What Guys Said 2

• Usually guys are all about the "hunt" for a lady he can sleep with. Pr the reason why they can't be friends is because if he has a girlfriend then the girlfriend thinks you guys are sleeping together because you seem more close than he is with her.

Is that a start to what you are looking for?

• Because drama.

What Girls Said 3

• Because people have a hard time understanding friendship. Platonic male/female relationships are so common, but people still like to read into everything. I think it's because of the obsession with romance, and the whole "friends to lovers" aspect in most shows.

• its generally because at least one of the girl's friends or the guy's friends like to tease their friend about it, even knowing that they aren't more than friends. that starts spreading around and suddenly everyone thinks you're together.
    trust me, I've lived it too many times.

• Right! I agree