Is emailing a tip to the police really "anonymous"?

Someone stupidly posted a threat on social media. I reported it on the website and they said they will look into it but also recommended I could contact local authorities. I don't know that it's really a serious threat, but I checked the local police website to see how to report just in case. They have an anonymous tip line to call or email. I don't want it getting back to me in any way and wasn't sure what the police would do with an email address? Would they try to track it for any reason?

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course they will track down who's email or IP address because if your making false statements or full of shit , they investigate you and come arrest you for waisting there time.
    They say it's annomous just to catch people. Even websites

• It's not false; I have a screen shot to show it.

• Keep in mind they investigate both sides. So anonymous isn't teally. Good luck

Most Helpful Girl

• no not really... i assume they can find u.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• I think they would have to go to extra work for that and they're going to be more worried about whether or not the threat is real. Heck maybe they'll even go talk to the person and it will help the person think more about what they post next time.

• I'm sure they'll keep you out of it when looking into and addressing it. To remain anonymous.