Which statement do you think best describes democracy?

• Vox populi vox Dei (the voice of the people is the voice of a God)
    20% (2)15% (3)17% (5)Vote
  • Democracy is two foxes and a chicken deciding what to have for lunch
    80% (8)85% (17)83% (25)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
2|11

Most Helpful Guy

• The voice of people is an illusion cause you might voice your opinion but the people on top decide whether to act on it. And there's another thing, why should the voice of the people matter if the majority are morons?

4|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• The worst form of government , worse than fascism yes.

2|0
    0|0
    • I'd have to say second worst. Being beaten only by any sort of monarchy/dictatorship

• I think mass media is the biggest problem concerning democracies. People's opinions and views are often decided from years of disinformation. Over night, certain world leaders can be demonized. Assad, Putin etc. While the public will generally not be aware of what goes on in Saudi Arabia, or another country that decides to abide by Nato's collective wishes. People are very malleable in general.

0|0
    0|0
  • Democracy is a system where the citizens make the decisions as a whole of what they do and what the government does.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tyranny of the masses or mob rule

1|0
    0|1
  • they are both terrible descriptions of democracy.

democracy is the election of nominated peers who ensure that the will of the people is proportionately represented in the laws and actions of the government.

0|0
    0|0
  • HOw about, "the best of a bad lot."

0|0
    0|0
  • Lies. It's an indoctrinated word. It means something totally different in politics

0|0
    0|0
  • Democracy is the same as Tyranny, shared among many people... basically - two unintelligent voters will always outnumber one smart voter... at the end - bad people usually win the elections.

1|0
    0|0
  • Both and more. Democracy in practice is a way to give people the illusion of participation and consent in their government as a cheaper and better alternative to suppressing them with threat. It harnesses the crowd instincts of humanity to get them to sit down, shut up and go back to work because they think that's what everybody else wants them to do. That way you only need to suppress the few who don't feel the force of crowd opinion.

This is the problem with a multicultural democracy. An alienated minority doesn't feel the moral compulsion of the crowd.

2|1
    0|0
  • Democracy sucks. Monarchies and dictatorships ftw!!!11

2|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Completely useless in my country. Majority are blinded by the fake ways of the government. Imagine a country with a democratic system ruled by a government with majority of its seats dominated by the same party for fifty years.

0|0
    0|0
  • Plato: "You see my friend the three shepherds on the hill? As long as they can outvote me and Socrates, and then makes decisions, I will not believe in democracy".

Socrates: “Democracy will pay because they will try to reply to everyone:
    1. The poor will want possessions of the rich - democracy will give it to them.
    2. Young people will want to be respected as a man, a woman will want to be
    as a male, the party will want the rights of indigenous people - democracy will give it to them.
    3. The thieves and fraudsters will want important state functions - democracy will give it to them.
    4. And when thieves and fraudsters finally democratic, take power, because criminals and strive for power, there will be a worse tyranny than during any monarchy or oligarchy".

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...b0858f2847.jpg

izquotes.com/.../...ssigning-a-socrates-309178.jpg

1|2
    0|0
    • Unfortunately democracy is dysfunctional. Just that the alternatives seem to be even worse.

• Show All
    • Keep in mind, democracy in ancient Greek city states was a bit different from our system that we have today.

• @Northeast106 I know, but they had voting, that's similar enough... every ignorant person could vote.