Turkey downs Russian fighter jet fighting ISIS over Syria - Thoughts?

Link to story here

I'd like to know peoples thoughts on this. I got up this morning to see the story, and the first thought in my mind was... how in the hell does ISIS down a supersonic Russian jet? Is russian military equipment that dated and obsolete? Well lo and behold... I learn that Turkey had shot it down claiming that they were violating turkish airspace. Look, say what you want about Putin, but given Turkey's tacit support of ISIS, from buying their oil, to bombing kurdish forces trying to fight isis, this most recent incident honestly seals the deal for me when it comes to Turkey. The Turkish government, or at least some part of it supports ISIS. How do you justify shooting down a russian jet, knowing that they are there trying to take down an enemy Turkey should have been dealing with themselves long ago? Even if its true that they did violate turkish airspace, you're telling me that Turkey can't give russia a bit of leeway to use a sliver of their airspace to take these guys down near the border? I mean, they acted as if the Russian jet was headed straight for Instanbul, missiles loaded. Perhaps if this were the only incident with Turkey, maybe i could give them some sort of benefit of the doubt, but time and time again they've shown that they aren't serious about fighting ISIS, to the point where you would swear ISIS and Turkey were allies. It's really hard for me to turn a blind eye to this. Even if turkey was in the right, could they not avoid shooting it down to avoid an unnecessary international incident, and then complain about it to the right bodies after the fact? I know all the powers have their own interests being in the region, including Putin, but to take this plane down was callous as hell in my view.

P. S. i believe the pilot (s) died too, so they didn't even have enough time to eject out of the damn thing before Turkey decided to stab them in the back

Update: More news is coming out and it seems like the pilots did actually get to eject from the plane, so i have to correct myself on that... but at least one of them have been confirmed dead

Most Helpful Guy

• No doubt about it, Turkey fucked up. People say "Russia does this all the time. Blah, blah, blah.". Yes, Russia does violate the airspace of many sovereign countries often but SO DO MOST OTHER COUNTRIES, especially Turkey.

I may have a biased opinion because I believe violating sovereign airspace is not grounds for military action in and of itself. Yes, escort them, yes send radio communication and, yes, if it's an issue of national security, you are warranted in shooting them down. However, if you know that a country is running active military strikes on a country that's bordering you AND your country is essentially blocking that their path (See the world map: shoebat.com/.../...l-shale-countries-map-east.gif) shooting them down is an act of war.

The pilots ejected from the plane and were shot dead by terrorist groups in northern Syria which is a war crime that Turkey facilitated. If Turkey is going to aid terrorist organisations and shoot down planes combating them, they have no place in NATO. Just my opinion.

• what kills me with people supporting what turkey did is that they all seem to forget that Turkey BUYS ISIS oil. I mean i feel like that should be the response to anyone who thinks Turkey made the right call here. That fact alone should cause any rational person to scratch their heads and think "well hmm... i wonder why Turkey is giving money for oil to well established terrorists who will then take that money to fund attacks NATO and other countries like they've done in Paris?

• I can't see how anyone can support Turkey's actions seeing as how, as you've said, Turkey openly supports terrorism against its fellow NATO countries. Although, Turkey's shady dealings aside, shooting down a plane that you know is just passing through to bomb terrorists is too much support for terrorism on its own.

• yeah its pretty messed up. I felt so bad for those pilots who pretty much got blind-sighted. On top of that, russian sent rescuse helicopters to get the pilots, but one of them was destroyed by syrian rebels. -_- i mean damn. Even if turkey was within its right to shoot it down... the question is, was it necessary?

What Girls Said 5

• I have to opinions about. On one side, Russia has done this shit many times before and got many warnings from Turkey not to flight in their airspace, but they ignored them and still did it. Turkey is not really a country to fuck with.
    Although, what could be considered, is it really smart to do an act like that right now in these rough times and wasn't it a bit of an overreaction? I don't know anything about buying oil and stuff. Only thing I do know is that the Turks are not really fan of the Kurdish. Never been.

• well they seem to be huuuge fans of ISIS. I mean how can anyone justify Turkey's continual purchasing of ISIS oil? And what is so difficult about opening a portion of your airspace to allow Russia to take these well known terrorists down? I mean its not like the russian jet was there targeting Turkish assets. Even if they were legally allowed to shoot the plane down, there is a difference between what a government CAN do, and what a government SHOULD do in my mind. Should Turkey have shot the plane out of the sky, knowing full well that it was of no threat to Turkey, and also knowing full well that Russia and the U. S. are officially working together to take ISIS down in the region? Personally, i think it was a brazen move. Good luck to turkey getting into the EU now, lol..

• i can explain for you

• Well turkey has sure been going downhill in the past few years. Not too long ago they were going to be part of the EU now they couldn't be further

I think part of it is that Turkey and the Kurds have a very difficult relationship to begin with

• ikr? and now Erdogan was re-elected (probably with a bit of voter fraud) with even more power to pull this shit. See the problem for me is that this isn't an isolated incident of Turkey seemingly helping iSIS. When you add the fact that Turkey is buying ISIS oil from the black market, the fact that they bomb kurdish forces... the main boots on the ground we have atm which is fighting these ISIS freaks, and the fact that Turkey does little to stop the movement of these terrorists throughout their country... all adds up to most peoples feelings that Erdogan wants ISIS to become stronger than they are

• I read that this morning and it gives people the impression that Turkey supports terrorists basically. I always thought the Turkish were moderate Muslims.

• well Turkey buys oil from ISIS which isis steals from Iraq, so they pretty openly fund them. So its not the impression of support... it IS support, sadly. They also have routinely bombed kurdish forces who are like the only ground troops in the region fighting against ISIS.

• what a shame.

• Russia is so 1970's. Their technology is laughable.

• Turkey has a story of stealing other countries territories and backstabbing allies, so is not a surprise. Russian aircraft never invaded Turkish airspace, they Turks were the ones who invaded Syrian space to shot down the bomber.
    Both pilots were gunned down.

What Guys Said 15

• Putin wants to be a though guy, Erdogan wants to be one. Turkey says the jet was shot over Turkey.
    I read on a German site that the pilots ejected but fate unknown this orning.

www.theguardian.com/.../russian-jet-downed-by-turkish-planes-near-syrian-border-live-updates

• from what i hear, the pilots were killed. Actually it seems like they did actually get to eject from the plane, so i got that wrong... but they were killed on the ground

• Yeah, that's going to be a problem. Russia will definitely respond in some way, shape or form. If they can poison a Ukrainian president, I'm sure they can get to Erdogan. Erdogan has always supported Islamists, it's not really surprising that Turkey is intervening on behalf of the Sunni opposition, while suppressing the Kurds since they want an autonomous country of their own.

• Either way, I think it's one step closer to an all out conflict.

• And since the West wants him dead like Saddam, Khadafe and many others, peace is no option for the West.

• I don't know what to think of this, since it benefits noone.

It pretty interesting what New York University professor Mark Galeotti has to say.

inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.com/.../

• I bet Turkish Air Forces thought it was a Syrian jet if they didn't respond to the radio messages to leave the airspace. Anyway, i think it's a legitimate move. If a foreign military element shows up in your country without your permission, you shoot it down. That's like WAR101.
    The situation with Kurds is always misunderstood by the West and continues to be so. Turkish forces are hitting Kurd fraction, PKK, in Norther Iraq with which it's been dealing with for thirty years for terrorism. Thirty years of terrorism, and we're suddenly supposed to cut them some slack because they also happen to fight ISIS? THIRTY OF CONTINOUS TERRORISM. Geez.
    If you wanna undrstand hwta's going on in the region right now, know that there are three different Kurdish fractions such as PKK, PYD and Peshmerga, a few different Islamist farctions such as ISIS, Al_Nusra a few different more moderate Syrian opposition, Army of Free Syria (i believe this is what they call themselves) and Turkmens. And of course Syrian regime and Russia.
    It's not a simple good guys vs. bad guys situation. Enemy of your enemy is your firend kinda logicdoes not work. Russia backs Assad, Russia and Turkey are (or were) close friends, Turkey is the prime regional player AGAINST Assad. See how complicated it is with only three fractions. I've not even taken into account other 6-7 groups in the region.
    Anyway, to get back to the situation. If a foreign military gets into your country despite your warnings, you kill them. If a group has been conducting terrorism actively in your country for 30 years, you kill them.

• By the way, it's very well known that the West does not really like Russian targets. They don't simply bomb ISIS, they bomb whomever they see moving. They've been bombing Turkmen opposition group for about a week now and this also led to some tension with Turkey.

• It's a serious act of war, Turkey done fucked up no question.
    I'm really wondering what is NATO going to do about it, the tension is already high as it is now it is going to look like NATO is the aggressor.
    NATO isn't going to be happy in any case.

Even if the airplanes were breaching the airspace of Turkey shooting down resources intended to combat terrorism is not going to portray them in any kind of good light, to say the least.
    Especially not after them turning a blind eye to ISIS and having a president who is slowly turning out to be a terrorist sympathizer.

Personally, I'm hoping that NATO is going to distance itself from the incident and that Turkey is going to suffer consequences.

• I heard Russia has been flying in and around the air space of other nations, us included. (Supposedly around Alaska) but this is gonna bring us closer to WW3 smh
    It really seems like the west doesn't want to put ISIS down for good, I mean is Assad really that bad to where we'd let ISIS run free. Russia is trying to protect and ally and all but Syria is looking like the battlefield were it all might start.

• I think that Turkey is poking a sleeping giant. Russia could easily turn Turkey into an uninhabitable wasteland. They're pushing their luck.

• I think Turkey is going to pay for it dearly. Put in doesn't take kindly to shit from anyone.

• WHHHHHAT THEY TOOK DOWN A RUSSIAN FIGHTER god help us , world war started

• you are not Türkish. you are a arab and we dont like arabs

• No he didn't say he said if u want to stop me shoot down my soldiers
      And my opinion is that it would start the war 😂

• i dont think you need to worry about WWIII starting over this honestly, as bad and as callous as it was. Putin is a fairly smart geopolitician, which is why him and Lavrov (his foreign minister) managed to checkmate obama and NATO when they wanted to move in after Assad after he crossed this supposed "red line" some months ago. I don't agree with all his actions, such as the whole Ukraine invasion incident, but Putin is well aware that if there was a looser in a hypothetical WWIII, it would most likely be him.

• i am a Türkish from west Turkey and 2 Türkish f 16 done it for russian plane was in south turkey its a crime , russia deserve it. Turkey is not a weak country. never dont fuck with Turkey

• Attacking unsuspecting Russian planes, then hiding behind NATO shows turkey's weakness not strength

• @Mártainn germany is nato member and so you have to help us

• I know Turkey has Nuclear weapons which is why I said "Turkey MAY NOT BE A WEAK country but Russia can single-handedly send them back into the stone-age, if they wanted to.".

Russia's military spending ranks number 3 in the world with a budget FOUR times that of Turkey which ranks ~15th in the world. You need 3 more of your country to have a fair fight with Russia.

Not to mention Turkey has 50-90 nukes that are SHARED with them by NATO whereas Russia, in comparison, has over 7,000. No contest.

• The jet was told to leave Turkish airspace multiple times. Russia deserved what it got.

• Its disturbing considering a NATO member is engaging russian aircraft

• Did you study History in college?

• What's ugly is turkey is in NATO.

They don't give a crap about syrians, but they are not happy about kurdistan forming on their doorstep.

But seriously, who has been a better ally to the west than the kurds?

• yeah, and Turkey will hide behind NATO to prevent Russia from curb stomping them. Erdogan is honestly a lunatic in my eyes. He's turned Turkey into a de facto ally of ISIS, and now is willing to attack super powers in order to keep buying ISIS oil and bombing kurds with impunity -_-

• These are ignisificant for us, WW3 is coming, please will be ready