Is there a God?

Hi, first of I am a Catholic. But for about 8 months I have questioned my faith. My mind brings up evolution and other stuff that I don't even know about. I am really struggling here. Everyday I fight my mind until I go to sleep. Please help, I wish I could just believe and move on. But my mind won't let me. Please, help me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Which definition of God do you have? God is an abstract concept. attempting to wipe out the abstract concept of God is like attempting to wipe out the abstract concept of number 1 in mathematics. good luck with that.

Wiping the abstract concept of God from the realm of thinking is only possible if you are a subjectivist. If you are a subjectivist then you are either a subjective idealist, a mind-body dualist, or a materialist. All of which are refuted ontologies. And two former ones are actually theistic, which means they are too baseless that without a transcendental personal being they are impossible.

Being an objectivist, whether an objective idealist, or a physicalist, who believes in the monistic unity of mind and matter, will automatically lead to the concept of an almighty, not as a personal God, but an abstract concept of an absolute. The Spinozan and Hegelian concept of God as the substance.

If you are doubting your faith, I suggest reading Spinoza, Hegel, Nietzsche.

No philosopher was ever against the abstract concept of God. Old atheism was mostly equal to today's anti-theism. And anti theism is completely different than atheism.

Most Helpful Guy

• I use to be a devout Christian. I always thought that you were either had a religion, or you were an atheist. But i found that's not true. You can believe in a God, without following the rules of one particular religion.

I believe in a God, because i think there is more to life than animal instincts and chemicals in the brain. I don't believe that the world, and intelligent beings were made from a random, uncoordinated explosion. I believe the universe was created by an intelligent being or force of some kind. I also believe that our personalities and beings are our souls--not a random chain of chemicals in our brain. I also believe that our souls enter some kind of afterlife once we die--whether that be a heaven/hell, a plain oblivion, a single realm filled with multiple layers, or simply being reborn over and over and over again. All i know is that its impossible for our existence to just dissapear when we die. We are more than a hollow shell controlled like a puppet by chemicals. The only reason i didn't stick to my faith was because there are so many faiths out there that you are putting a lot on the line by choosing only one. I chose to live my life as the best person i can be, so that i can get into the best possible afterlife, regardless of what religion turns out to be true. I don't reject any religions, its just that i don't believe in one more than any other. If Christianity turns out to be true, I'd accept Jesus with open arms. If Bhuddism turns out to be true, I'd accept Bhudda with open arms. Etc.

If you lose your faith, you don't have to be an atheist. You can still believe in a God (clearly the more logical choice) without committing wholeheartedly to one religion. But if your faith makes sense to you, then by all means keep practicing it. But hey, its your choice. I wish you the best of luck in finding yourself in this world, and finding your piece of mind and true belief.

• "You can still believe in a God (clearly the more logical choice)". Please tell me that was sarcasm.

• @Frost_Byt3 Or maybe your are a fool for saying an invisible sky man did everything when science can explain these complex structures. Just because we don't know what happened at the beginning of the universe doesn't mean it was a magic being. Which is something theists can't seem to admit. Religion was something made up thousands of years ago to explain the unknown, which we can now explain through science.

• @citbcitw I don't see this deity as a "man in the sky". I don't see him as a magical being either. The deity i believe in is simply a spirt/force that posseses intelligence--possible greater intelligence than human intelligence.

The Big Bang Theory suggests that something can be produced by nothing--if you give it enough time. But the whole basis of biological science is that living matter can only be produced by already existing living matter.

So the question is "how did the first piece of living matter come to be?". Despite you and your fellow atheist's oversized egos--you don't know the answer to that question anymore than us theists do.

What Girls Said 9

• I absolutely believe in the existence of god, and no I wasn't brainwashed, I came to that conclusion by my own life experience. But god is a big invisible force, he isn't a human, he doesn't have a gender, it's a force, the greatest of forces. t's normal to question the existence of God, I think we've all been there, and after the question each one of us comes with their personal conclusion.

• i have no idea if there's a god or gods or whatever. if there is they probably have nothing to do with us. we are only tiny little specks of dust on a larger speck of dust relative to the whole universe. i used to be catholic, but i got tired of being fed the same old hypocrital lines.
    love everyone- except gay people and people of other religion or anyone who disagrees they go to hell but god still loves everyone!
    it's not ok to mercy kill, but it's ok to reduce their pain and let them die naturally.
    not to mention that with any religion the amount of corruption that takes place when someone gets that much power.
    also if anything that happened in the bible or any other religious text happened to day they would be written off as crazy because 2000+ years ago they didn't have the kind of technology and knowledge we do today to explain things.
    those are my feelings. you can still be catholic, and believe in jesus and god and what have you, even if you don't read the bible literally. was the universe really created in 7 days no obviously not, but to 'god' there would have been no concept of time and people then needed an explanation on how the world came to be.
    they also needed a way to have a indisputable set of morals to keep their tribe in line so they could live harmoniously.

• Probably not. Even if there is a god or gods, they're probably not who you think they are. The likelihood that the Catholic god you were raised to believe in is actually real is incredibly slim.

Try not to worry so much about it. Does it really matter? Does it honestly affect your life in any way whether there is or isn't some bearded dude up in the sky? Just be a good person and live your life as you see fit.

• I personally don't believe in something you have no solid proof it exists, but that's just something you have to explore for yourself. Everyone has different beliefs.

• This is very personal. I can tell you about my own struggles with coming to terms with my faith (or more strictly, there lack of), but I can't tell you what to believe. Message me if you want to hear the story as it is long and personal.

• nah... but my mom tell me it is!

• I personally believe that there isn't. It just doesn't make sense to me like evolution does.

• I ask myself the same question everyday...

• Stay strong, I know it's hell. Just keep going. God will show us what right.

• If there is, it's most definitely a man. I mean, look how fucked up the world is.

What Guys Said 31

• I'm gonna give you the best advice anyone here can give you.

When it comes down to it, you can LISTEN to what other people's opinions are, but come end of the day, that's up to YOU to find out for yourself whether or not God exists.

Don't believe what other people believe just for the sake of believing it. Your belief on whether God does, or does not exist, has to come from within. A choice you have questioned and grappled with as a human being, not as a pastiche of what someone ELSE wants you to be.

Think on that, and someday you'll have your answer.

• k bro thanks for best advice that almost everyone gave.
      I am Asian and now my eyes are wide open.

• What part of "I am Asian" you didn't understand XD

• I have been there too as have a lot of people. I would be more than happy to answer questions you may have but seeing as there is no evidence for or against the existence of a deity you will have to ask your self what you do or don't believe yourself.

• On behalf of all sane people, take a minute and think to yourself. Do you really think that a talking snake told a naked women in a forest that was mad out of an invisible rib to eat a fruit that was forbidden by an invisible sky man? Do you think People actually gave birth without having sex? Do you think people were turned into salt and that there were talking donkeys and talking bushes and men who live to 900 years old. If you answered no to all of these than congratulations, you are a part of the minority that uses critical thinking skills known as Atheists. Plus why would you want to worship a genocidal, infanticidal, racist, homophobic, slave condoning maniac.

• Yes, I believe in miracles. I believe spirit s can take over animal and human bodies. Noah's ark... Didn't they find that boat? They found it where? Where the bible said it landed, on a mountain. (The bible is more specific about where it landed, I think it gives it a name) there's no proof that Jesus ever lived. Yes there is, the shroud of tunic. ( I think that's how it's spelled) the cloth shows all the wounds Jesus had. The crown of thorns left wounds around his head. They could see that on the cloth.

• This argument is over. You were just getting started? You have yet to prove anything. I am growing impatient and wish not to waste anymore of my precious time. When you have something as ridiculous drilled into your head since you were an infant such as an invisible sky man who is also genocidal, racist, homophobic, misogynist, and infanticidal, and talking snakes, bears, donkeys and bushes, as well as people living in whales, virgin births, 9 headed dragons, people turning into salt, and people living to 900 years old, its hard to deter that person from believing these things since they've been hearing about if for so long. The fear of going to hell is how they get children to buy into this crap and it sticks with them for life. I can only hope you will drop this nonsense and move forward with the rest of us who want a world view based on fact, not superstition. I will not be replying on this thread again. Goodbye.

• Look who won, me. What makes you think God is anything what you said. Have you ever heard of people converting to Christian. People during there life time will question there faith. Like me, we I don't now after have this argument. I didn't prove anything. Yes I didn't, you just came up with bullshit to disprove it. You act like there's a lot of you guys by saying, " the rest of us". Trust me, people who believe in God out number people who don't. You are a true atheist, you WILL not believe in anything even when it has evidence to it. Just tell me one thing later on... Tell me how hot it is in hell.

• i would say, explore all of it, all the faiths, all the beliefs, and once you're accurately informed, you can make your decision based on what you think is right for you, i'm guessing you were raised Catholic? (i'm agnostic and am open to listen and tolerate all religions, regardless of their standing)

• I don't believe in it. The very idea of a supreme being who cares wether a grown man enjoys playing with another grown mans penis seems ridiculous. That's just one example but really I find just about everything regarding the concept of a god to be ridiculous.

• I personally don't believe in the validity of any religions, and just see them as mythologies that people still choose to believe in because that's what they learned from their parents.

But the choice is really yours to make.

• Message me.

I went through this years ago.

• Sorry, it says I need to be level 2. I just got this account today. I need help and this seemed like the place to ask questions. Is there any way I can message you.

• Look me up on facebook. My name is James Pilrose IV (the one with the ancient aliens guy as the profile picture).

• no. think about it this way, no matter how you slice it, in a best case scenario, "only" 5 billion people would go to hell for following the wrong religion. there are 1000 more reasons why i don't think god is real, but ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

• I believe the Christian God. Also why does evolution bother you? You can agree with evolution and still be Catholic. Not to mention there have been many saints who have doubted. Mother Teresa had at one point. Doubting seems to be common in religious faiths. And I think it is actually a good thing. It helps you come to your own conclusion.

• Evolution does need a creator. They say it can happen on its own. I don't get why people say which God. Do you know that Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe in the same God as I do.

• Thank you, that's what I thought. But how could God do that in seven days. Although, someone did say something about how one day to God is one thousand years or something like that. Thanks a bunch.

• Literal interpretation of the first two chapters of Genesis has never really been the way in which Christians have interpreted those chapters.

• Personally, I don't believe in a god, because there is no way to know which god is the correct one, if any.

No matter what way you slice it, the STRONG majority of people have the "wrong" religion.

• Sure there is a God.

• What exactly are you questioning? I believe there is a higher being. The so called "Big Bang" did not start the existence of the current universe. If it did, something had to create the "Big Bang".

• Yes, I believe in God. I am not a mistake that just happened to become something. This planet makes no mistakes

• No way to know.

• Yes for sure GOD is here , there is nothing called revolution theory , just ask ure self and close ure eyes and think about wts happening inside ure own body everything is working by its own lungs kidney pancreas legs arms eyes hair and so on , the relationship between a baby and his mother actually a lot of things can be said , bur the thing is humans hate commitment si they started to think about anything else than obeying GOD

• Congratulations. This means your brain is working.
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a23495-my-take-on-atheists-religion

• Yes.. Many... But My God is better than Your God.

• I'm atheist. Some people don't believe in "god" and some do.
    But the people who believe god get mad at the atheists and the atheists get mad at the people who judge them and yea yea welcome to earth.

• the universe is god : )

• Bro just let it go... don't worry about that.. just live your life.. things will happen along the way that will make u say thanks...

• To me yes of course

• No dont believe this shit

• dont want 2 believe then dont lol

• Okay, you do realize that the church actually preaches evolution

• Only recently. Since evolution has been undeniably proven the church tries to bullshit their way around it to make science and religion co-exist. In the dark ages they publicly executed anyone who was an atheist or believed in something like evolution.

• Exactly, Science is amazing and wonderful and god wouldn't have given us the brain he did if he didn't want us to figure out this world.
      The Big Bang Theory was originally discovered by a catholic priest named Georges LemaƮtre, originally called the Theory of the Primeval Atom.
      Use that brain of yours to learn, its what god would want

• I geuss I was taught that evolution was an enemy of the church. But like how could God make all these changes within 7 days? Science says it takes millions of years to evolve to something else?

• Yes

filler

• It's all about what YOU believe

• Religious folks are just brainwashed individuals... that's the truth they will NEVER admit

• We are not brainwashed. What makes you think that. Just because billions of people believe in God doesn't mean we're brainwashed. Why are you atheists such assholes?

• That you are brainwashed?

• I'm not brainwashed. Wtf? Didn't I already say that?

• From my point of view the answer is yes and no. If we believe that some dude created a whole universe than there is no god, because that's not really possible. But we could call the matter, that made the universe and therefore us, is God. But considering your age it won't make any difference...

• If there is a God he going to have to ask ME for forgiveness for all the terrible things that i have to see day to day

- dead children
    -starving people
    - hatefull wars over oil

This is Hell and god condemed me to it without no reason so if he exist I'm expecting his apologies he will get no praise from me

• Many people believe in God and evolution. A true religion should never contradict science.

• More from Guys
    1