I feel guilty for not saying yes to take the shift. How should I feel about this?

I recently got a new job and haven't had any shifts yet. The manager called and asked if I could work today and I said I couldn't. I feel bad but I already made plans to go somewhere today and I forgot to mention to the manager that I would not be available today. I wouldn't have minded going to work if I was free. I've already been rostered for next week though just not this week. I'm afraid this might affect my future shifts. I really wouldn't mind taking up extra shifts during the holidays.

Most Helpful Guy

• You should feel guilty.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you can't come in then you can't come in, they shouldn't hold it against you. Granted since you just started it may not look great but it's not terrible compared to other things. Try not to dwell on it too much.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• If you've made plans then you made plans- it's your "off day", I don't think it will as you weren't scheduled so they really can't blame you. When you are able to take extra shifts let them know!