Text on anniversary of friend's death?

So there's this girl I had a crush on and even though nothing came of it we did become friends over a year or so (not a friend zone thing but just a mutual respect of each other's feelings). Anyways it's been a couple of months since we've seen each other and the first anniversary of a close friend of her's death is in a few days. I don't want to bring up any negative thoughts but I did want to acknowledge her and check in on how she's doing. I was thinking of just sending her a simple text but am not sure how to word it. I was thinking of something along the lines of the following but it just doesn't sound right to me: "Hey I remembered the date and just wanted to know I was thinking of you. I know the first year can be hard so I just hope you have a great day."

Any suggestions would be helpful!

This is I didn't know her friend but I became friends with her around the time of her friend's death

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• You focused it on her then swung it off... nothing about the friend.
    try, on the day, "(friends name here) left us (insert date), They still stay in memory..."

dont mention anything else.

• Last thing someone needs reminding of