How can I tell whether or not a check is fake?

A few days ago I applied for a supposed secret shopper job available in my area. This morning I received a check in the mail for $2,000 along with a text message from a guy claiming to work for secret shoppers. He told me to check my email for further instructions on how to complete my "assignment" (there's nothing in my email) How can I tell if the check is fake? If it is fake what do I do? Am I supposed to report this to someone or do I just rip it up and throw it away?

Most Helpful Guy

• What? Scammers are still trying to use this old scam?

Listen very carefully, do not cash that check or try to buy anything with it.

The items he told you to buy is probably sold by him. Or he will tell you to cash it in your bank and send money to specific people via western union. After a day or two, he will void that check when your bank comes after his bank to collect that money. You will basically lose $2,000.

This is one of the oldest scams in the scam book. Youngsters need to beware.

What Guys Said 4

• There should be a company name on the check you can call the company and asked to speak with somebody in their financial department and verify if the check is correct or not

• It's fake lol it's obviously a scam you just fell for.

• Take the check to the issuing bank and let them check on it.

What Girls Said 1

• I'd set it aside until you receive instructions. It could be a trap, like if you cash the check you are committing to something.