Do black people have their own language?

My mom said to me that black people have their own languages that originated from their tribes and that's why they have these weird accents.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah its called ebonics

What Girls Said 5

• So much racism in one sentence, but I will assume that's from ignorance, not your fault. No, "black people", don't have their "own" language. Some black people who have ancestors from other areas of the world, like Africa or India, will have relatives who may speak a language other than English, but all people with black skin don't just automatically speak another language, and it borders on racist to assume so.

• There is nothing racist in my post, i was simply asking a question. No need to get offended so quickly. As one user said, Ebonics is why some black people sound so different.

• Omg i obviously wouldn't consider all dark people blacks, you speak as if i would be a total idiot. You obviously took the question too seriously while i asked a logical question. I may have been ignorant but that doesn't mean i was wrong in asking the question.

• The question sounded ignorant and stupid, so yeah, I assumed someone who asked such a question in such a way might think all coloured people are "black" too.

• I am not sure... they say a lot of slang words thou!

• The ones in Africa have their own language. That or they came from Jamaica or haiti.

Ones that have family from north america for years do not. They speak English. Though most that I hear sound more southern.

• Hold up, say what? That's just pure bs.

What Guys Said 7

• Black Americans don't have weird accent per say, but many of them have a different dialect, which is rooted to the fact that majority of Black American have southern heritage. The South of America has a different type of dialect or accent compared to the other regions of America. Majority of Blacks Americans ancestors were slaves in the south and it was there that they adopted the southern accent. When blacks began to migrate up north after the Civil War, they were usually grouped together in the same neighborhoods with one another and didn't mingle too much with the white population. This segregation caused some Blacks to retain their southern accent, even though they live up north.

The dialect that you see in inner cities black Americans (African American Vernacular English aka Ebonics) is simply an evolved form of the southern accent found in the rural deep south.

And no, Blacks do not have this accent because of their tribal days. They have it because they inherited the southern accent while they were slaves, and due to America being a society that was segregated for so long (still is to an extent) they retained this accent, even after moving out of the south.

• poor uneducated GaG'ers

• Certain, 'areas' have different 'lingo' if you know what I mean.

• cool story bro.

• your mom seems to know black people a lot but those are not weird accents just grunts when they enter her XD

• Weird accents? Explain. What weird accents?

• This only goes for some blacks, but they have their own accent that sounds like they come from a tribe.

• @chintita Bruh... 7 month old question.

• @Cosytoasty lmao ¯\_(ツ)_/¯