Why is it that I can remember things from when I was 1-2 years old?

I have at least two distinct memories from that time. And, I know that I am remembering them (and not just making them up without knowing it), because I cross-checked these events with my parents, and they checked out as perfectly accurate. So, why is this the case? Supposedly, our earliest memories come between the ages 4-7, but I remember a few things from below the age of 2, and I remember plenty of things between ages 3-4 that I've also verified to have been correct.

Most Helpful Guy

• Did you learn to speak early? Our earliest memories tend to correlate with the time we first speak. Most people's first memory is around the ages of two to three.

I remember being fed a bottle. I remember not liking water and preferring milk. I remember being bathed in a sink. Believe it or not, some people claim to remember being in the hospital on the day they were born. There also seems to be a link with autism and memory. Autistic people tend to remember earlier times in their lives than the average person.

• I am autistic (professionally diagnosed ten years ago). That might be why, then.

• I'm not autistic, but I know the layout of the first house I lived in better than anyone in my family.

What Girls Said 7

• I have what I call a semi-photographic memory, thank God. I was taught to read when I was 18 months old and I remembered the book and its text/illustrations so clearly that I was able to find it on google 27 years later (not even kidding). I have a memory or two from when I was 5 months old and one from when I was even younger (it was in black/white/red, layered like those 3-D glasses ink prints, which makes me wonder if babies see color)... and I remember being almost 3 and wandering around in a toy store. I think there might be others too.

• I don't know why, but it sounds interesting. I never heard of this before.

• Some people have good memories, it's nothing to worry about. If the memories were emotional or contain a distinct scent or something, then you are more likely to remember it.

• Because you had to learn other things...

• Nope, my mom even told me that I was hit in the head with a bike and I ended up in the ER. And got stich es lol I didn't even know haha

• Maybe you have an idetic memory

• Your memory is 👌🏼

What Guys Said 3

• I don't... really don't

• I only remember an event or two when I was 3. Just because you clarify it with your parents doesn't mean you didn't fabricate the images in your head. You very well could have been told these stories about yourself before by your parents and then create the images in your head based on what they said and then forget all about them telling you but still remember the images you created in your head and then later down the road asked them about the images of a story you had in your head which they verified.

• I don't think so. I remember remembering these events back when I was 4-5, as well. I would've had to have fabricated those memories back then.

• Its somewhat normal I think (At least I thought it was) because I can remember 2 distinct memories from when I was 2 years old. I remember one where I was still sleeping in a crib, and I dont really know why it is that these 2 particular memories I remember out of all the memories I have from that age, its weird but I think its pretty normal, because if you think back to a more recent time (say when you were 10) you probably can't remember that many things, just the highlights, so I guess thats just how our brains work.