Is it possible to forget a language?

I guess I am starting to forget a bit of German coz I don't practise it I hardly speak it or use is it really possible to forget a language 😕

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Surely you can forget it. I think it is even possible to forget your native language when you haven't used it for many years

• Thank god I speak my native language 😂😂 not everyone speaks Arabic 😉

• Oh that she has learned me this word means then maybe more then i thought lol

• Lmao u have no idea literally one word one sole word means a lot like the word "beat" ضرب means exactly 22 meanings actually when Arabic scientists wants to see the language functions and grammar they go to the quran

What Girls Said 9

• Yes it's possible, I forgot most of the Spanish I learnt 7 years ago :x But I can still understand it a little bit.

• Yes it's possible. My father use to speak quite well German and after 20 years of non practicing he finds that really hard

• Yes, it's possible, but with practice you can start to speak it easily again.

• Yeah, of course. Just like with everything else, you forget the things you don't use for a long time.

• Yeah.
    My bro needs translation sometimes.

• Yes but it comes back quickly as well once you are surrounded by speakers

• Maybe if you have some type of amnesia.

• I forgot the basics of Japanese so yeah its possible

• Yes, it is. My grandparents first language was Yiddish and they didn't learn English until thy started school.

By the time they were elderly they were only fluent in English and really couldn't speak Yiddish very well at all, they really struggled.

This was because they got into the habit of speaking English and rarely used Yiddish so eventually they forgot how to speak it.

Language is mostly habit and if you get out of the habit, eventually you'll forget. This can even happen as an adult. If an American were to go live in France or Germany and spent several years only speaking French or German, they would struggle at least a bit if not a lot if they switched back to English

What Guys Said 10

• Yeah dude, if you don't use the language you can forget it.

Happened to me with Spanish, I used to know a lot more, now I know like a few random words and phrases.

• I think it will depend on how much time you spent with it in the past.

I took french for five years, then went three years without speaking any of it. I forgot a lot of the words, but the structures and grammar came back to me very quickly with a bit of studying and I was able to understand it almost perfectly right off the bat (listening to someone speak it).

• To some extent probably, but I know for sure I'll never forget either English or Norwegian. I think you can if you are still learning the language then stop using it.

• yes, if you don't use a language you lose it over time.

• I haven't been keeping up with my Spanish so now all I remember are the basic, cuss words and greetings

• if you don't practice, you can forget within a year or 2. i haven't practiced italian and i'm already forgetting some. and at my best, i was damn near fluent.

• I used to speak pretty decent Chinese as a child.
    I don't use it on a regular basis so it's kinda shit now.

• Ja, natürlich

Früher war mein Englisch besser.

• Weißt du wer ich bin? Haha

• Ah, kteer mnih hek. Betmanelak kel el tawfi2!
      And have a great year, Yazan! You deserve it.

• @bumblesuperbee yeslamu kelik zo2 ... Wo Ana batmanalik kel 5air be jami3tik.

• It is possible.

• yea its possible, my grandma use to speak perfect English but she forgot D: she turned 98