Could you pull the trigger?

The United States Constitution's 2nd Amendment is the right to bear arms.

However, the Lord's Commandment is Thou Shall Not Kill.

Would you really be able to shoot and kill if you were protecting yourself by carrying a handgun?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• if i felt my life was being threatened, i would pull the trigger. but i would rather not kill the person, but disable them so that the police can get him/her.

Most Helpful Guy

• Probably to maim but if the attacker ends up dying... oh well.. lesson learned.

What Girls Said 2

• Well.. Better be safe than sorry.

• I couldn't shoot to kill. I don't want a gun in the first place.

What Guys Said 1

• Actually the Lord's commandment translates more closely to "thou shalt not murder".

Murder is illegal or immoral killing. Justified killing is by implication, just fine. For example the many times in the Bible when the Lord tells his chosen to go kill people.

• I see things differently.

• Scholars seem to agree with me.

"The Hebrew verb רצח (r-ṣ-ḥ, also transliterated retzach, ratzákh, ratsakh etc.) is the word in the original text that is translated as "murder" or "kill", but it has a wider range of meanings, generally describing destructive activity, including meanings "to break, to dash to pieces" as well as "to slay, kill, murder"."

"Thou shalt not kill (LXX; οὐ φονεύσεις), You shall not murder (Hebrew לֹא תִּרְצָח lo tirṣaḥ) or You shall not kill (KJV), is a moral imperative included as one of the Ten Commandments in the Torah, specifically Exodus 20:13 and Deuteronomy 5:17."

"The imperative is against unlawful killing resulting in bloodguilt. The Hebrew Bible contains numerous prohibitions against unlawful killing, but also allows for justified killing in the context of warfare, capital punishment, and self-defense."

"The Bible never uses the word retzach in conjunction with war."

• Not only did you not answer the question; you offered unsolicited advice by esteeming yourself to be all-knowing and self righteous by valuing your own opinions as the opinion of The Lord.

This conversation is over.