If Americans were offered free healthcare and education and all they had to do to get this was give up all their guns- what would happen?

Most Helpful Girl

• All hell would break loose. Giant political battles, americans would turn on eachother because they thought different. Kinda like whats going on right now for all of the problems

What Girls Said 8

• I am pretty sure some would not want to give up their guns. People would most likely protest and blame Obama some more. Nothing new, I am afraid.

• Blaming Obama is usually a joke. It's obvious he's a puppet and that's why he's suddenly pushing for all of the same things the Bush administration was.

• I have aspergers so sarcasm will go over my head way more than a regular person's, so you're probably fine

• @M_A_X Oh you are good. On the Internet its more difficult to decipher the tone of someone's words (if you understand what I mean), than in real life.

• Some of us aren't safe if we are unarmed. I'd rather get medical attention and an education with no student loans to pay back but I'm not particularly fearful of my safety. Some have reason to be though. There would always be black market arms trafficking so this no guns policy is rather unrealistic.

• people don't care about other people. they only care about themselves. so the right to wield a gun > helping out the disadvantaged.

• I personally wouldn't do it. I'd rather work everyday and pay my own way. I do not like living under societies thumbs.

• I don't think most would comply

• There's no such thing as "free" health care or education. Taxes would have to be raised dramatically to pay for it.

• First of all, the concept of 'free' anything is a fallacy. It costs someone something for it to be free to you. And free healthcare and education would have to be government controlled for it to even be offered. Both of those systems have a fairly heavy influence from the federal government already, look at where we are. Look at the health rates and the literacy rates. Of course, the government is not solely to blame for any of this, but one point of view, a 'one size fits all' model that is often pushed by the government, does not work with a country as broad and diverse as the U. S.

• I'm pretty sure the racist white American inbreds would not give up their guns

• I'm sure lots of people who weren't racist, or white, or inbred would also not want to give their guns up, but nice generalization.

• I didn't mean to up vote you.

You think you hurting any true Southerners' feelings? Darling, I'm proud to be a white American woman who will not give up her guns, but know this I try to love as Jesus does and I made sure my Native American husband wasn't related.

• @mrsjnlwatson Amen sister. I don't know where people get ideas like this.

What Guys Said 26

• Hopefully we would turn it down. We have guns to protect our freedoms from our government one day turning corrupt. Freedom is more important than getting someone else to pay our bills for us. Heck, bad government policies are the real reason people are having a hard time paying for stuff already.

It isn't like we could trust them not to screw up "free healthcare and education". In fact our public schools are so bad most members of Congress send there kids to private school, and soldiers that can get free health care choose to pay for it themselves just to get a decent level of heath care.

• You see, I'd rather we keep our guns and get universal healthcare, They are not mutually exclusive.
    Gun Control U. K style is going to become impossible with recent tech advances. (whether thats good or bad is a different debate.)
    With 3d printing on its way up.
    Combine that with ironically a U. K invention, the sten submachine gun which was Designed to be so simplistic a village blacksmith could make it. (The reason was the after the retreat of dunkirk and no I'm not making judgements of you U. K citizens and infact your retreat is worthy of praise in coordination and discipline, your efforts really helped win the war because you were able to do that. Anyway they lost the Majority of the American made and costly thompsons. What they did have was a lot of capture nine millimeter ammo from the africa campaign. So they needed a a submachinegun that was incredibly easy to make so that it could be manufactured by a blacksmith and fired nine milimeter and they suceeded.)
    What happens in tech is that often efforts to control the spread of tech cannot keep up with the spread of tech. Thats what happening to gun control with the advent of 3d printing.
    P. S no, I like most americans do not believe that Murica was the reason ww2 was an allied victory. It was a combined effort with the U. K, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and south afirca U. S, France (partisans, those guys were badass), And Russia. With the biggest manpower losses and the largest share of the credit going to russia with hitlers incompetence in second

• From the looks of it, it seems like Americans value their guns more than anything else, including their own lives. I'm pretty sure they would go to ANY extent to uphold the 'Right to arms' act (or something similar). So no way they'd give up guns, except perhaps very few among them.

• Yes, if the tragedy of Sally Hook where kids were slaughtered doesn't change the mentality, nothing will

• Nope wouldn't do it, my rights my values and my morals are more important then free healthcare or education plus I would never take free things like that it's just unethical to me, it instills nothing and makes you weak, I'll earn what I get by my own hard work, blood and sweat just like I've done for everything I have so far I want nothing handed to me on a silver platter.

Besides there is no thing as free health care or education even if your not paying for it someone else is plus taxes would have to be raised dramatically to pay for it which in turn would make living in general far more difficult due to it being a lot more expensive and what we would be paying in high taxes for the rest of our lives would amount to pretty much what we would pay for healthcare or education or more anyway so we miles well had just pay for the college and education ourselves and keep our guns and our rights.

• The purpose of the guns is to fight the IRS when they try to collect all the money needed to pay for the so-called "free" healthcare. The answer is no. Hell no!

I'd like to see them try. I really would like to see that.

• We already have free education k-12, and it's pretty crappy.

Vets have "free" healthcare with the VA, and you might have heard about the VA Scandal and vets dying from maltreatment, etc. So, I hope we Americans, aside from the "gimme that!" leach class, would be smart enough to refuse, as it would probably be really crappy.

That, and the right to bear arms is important. I don't live dangerously, but I've still been in several situations over the past few years where I was in fairly serious danger.

Police are never around when you need them--by definition, pretty much, they show up after something happened.

Even if they have an amazing response time of 3 minutes... that's still not fast enough to save your life.

• I think there'd be less need for guns since people would have basic security, as they do in every other developed country and many not so developed.

It sure would be worth a try!

• I don't know if you have read any of them, but I have said in several opinions of mine that World War III is impossible.
    However, this would probably make it possible.

• There will still be a bunch of uneducated people without healthcare.

• Honestly I think it'd be 50/50. Personally I would never give up my only means of protecting myself if this country ever completely went downhill. There's no telling what the already screwed up government might do once they rid us of our only way to actually stand up to them.

• What would happen is we say we gave up our guns, keep our guns, and take the free healthcare and education. Just like we already do with restricted items and every society ever has always done with any kind of contraband.

• Yes, it is that way , free education and medical facilities with free text books and internet and you know what people do, they complain they are not good enough for them and still pay thousand of dollars to private hospitals and Schools and colleges.
    .
    .
    Now I know people don't care for things or like them until they have paid for it.

• Lmao I'm literally laughing my ass off because hell would sooner freeze over than Americans giving up any guns for any reason.

• The second civil war.

• I don't think you realize why we have guns in the first place

• that's stupid

• I'd sure hope so.

Americans haha.

• most wouldn't take it. and there is no such thing as free

• Not difficult all of Europe has free health and schooling. Get rid of the guns. Also the guns aren't dangerous it's the idiots that own them

• Nothing. Honestly nothing.

• Not gonna happen. America has such a high crime rate, with that some people feel safe by being armed.

• Most Democrats would comply, and most Republicans wouldn't.

• Fuck healthcare. Guns > healthcare.

• I'd continue to pay for my own healthcare and education like I have been and keep my gun. That way when three thugs try to break through the door of my place of work (like they did last year) I'll just have to flash the gun and it will send them packing once again. Everybody wins.

• If you mean what you say, they'd be fools not to say sure. Because free health and education would make them 30% richer.

I doubt that's what you mean though. I suspect you mean 'taxpayer funded healthcare and education'. As opposed to 'insurance premium payer funded healthcare and education that is a mix of taxpayer funded, self funded with loans, and endowment funded'.

Many americans actually do not want government run health care. Most americans DO have health care plans. Their health care plans are actually excellent relative to the government plans we in other countries have. (they are also more expensive). They don't want them to change.

Note that americans -also- have taxpayer funded healthcare for the poor (medicaid) and elderly (medicare). In spite of the griping about it, it probably is comparable to the government health care in many other countries.

SO in some ways the question, from the perspective of americans, is 'should middle class people be forced to pay for health insurance if they don't want to?'

And many of them think no.

I happen to think the benefits of single-payer healthcare outweigh the drawbacks, but americans in both these areas - the right to own guns, and the right to choose whether to pay for health insurance or not - have a more libertarian attitude than most others. They don't want to give up their guns, and they don't want the government running their health care without them having a say in it.

• Sounds like a super good trade off but I doubt they would be doing so willingly they have this mentality that without possession of weapons in the hands of the citizen the government can't be checked for and could turn into a dictatorship.