Was this rude of these customers to do this?

I work in retail (clothes) and this lady and her mother came into the dressing room to try something on where I was and the daughter saw a top behind me on the hanger in the changing room and asked if we had it in her size (she said small) so I pointed to where she can find it in the shop and she said "well can you do it? since you work here"meaning can I go get it and the mother agreed with her.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's pretty common where I live if you're in the dressing rooms (or anywhere really) for the store employees to grab you things in their size.

I half get the impression it makes their lives easier vs. fixing the mangled pile after customers search through it. And they don't really want you going in and out of the dressing room and not sure if it's used, plus some of them are tracking how many items are in there.

So while I've never requested this without it being offered first, it's not an unusual thing for them to think would be a normal part of your job.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know. honestly, it annoys me when I'm in a store and I ask someone who works there where to find something in particular and they tell me the aisles number or letter instead of actually showing me where exactly to find it. then when I ask someone to show me, more than half the times I ask they get upset about it

What Guys Said 17

• don't think it's necessarily rude. the see a sales associate as a person who assists in making sales and so they believe you are sort of there to help

it is clearly lazy and perhaps somewhat entitled but i don't think it's rude. It's kind of the nature of the job unfortunately

• shoppers tend to be entitled believing that since they are supporting a business that business should be willing to do nearly anything they can to assist in the selling of a product.

• Well maybe it is different where you live but where I live if a customer is trying on clothes in the dressing room and that situation happened it is 100% normal procedure for the staff member to go and get the item of clothing for the customer.

• They vr right, even I would consider it bad service if the customer has to ask someone else

• It depends on how they asked you. But the main thing is you should go the extra mile to assist customers when you're working in a store. Your personal feelings of being offended are secondary to that.

• A bit maybe

The girl might have thought you won't like to see how a customer helps themselves despite pointing at where to find it

And you probably just showed her where it is without thinking much, you just did it.

I wouldn't dwell on it as long as they don't complain about you at your boss

• Not necessarily, as you do work there. It was a little rude to put it that way, but a polite "would you mind getting it for me" was certainly not out of line. Especially if you work on a commission basis. A happy customer buys from the ones who make them happy.

• ' so I pointed to where she can find it in the shop and she said "well can you do it? since you work here" '

I don't know what your store's customer policy was regarding this issue but the way she phrased the question (and probably her tone) certainly sounded rude.

• No, that's not rude. You do work there. You serve them. It's your job. You are paid to do it.

• I would say it's rude. I wouldn't asks for someone to bring me something and if I did I would at least ask very politely, as I wouldn't expect it to be something they should have to do. But I'm not a lazy ass either.

Plus I hate bratty kids

• If it's not in your job description then you don't do it

• No, if it was a self-serve store, it's their responsibility to find it

• yes it was, customers are always rude

• This is why I could never work in retail

• Yeah, that's pretty rude.

• Yes it was rude, she could have asked nicely

• Most of the time when I ask a store associate if they can show me or point me in the direction of a item usually they stop what they are doing and and walk me over. But how she said it yeah that little whore and whore bitch mom was rude

• No just say against company policy. I say that all the time and I don't do shit

What Girls Said 14

• Hmmm... It's not particularly rude I would say. However, she didn't show much appreciation for the job you're doing (and that is not one of the duties involved- I assume) and could've easily got it herself, or asked her mother to get it for her. Although, perhaps a please would've sweetened it a little?
    I would probably call it impolite, but not really rude... If there is some difference in the meanings of those words...

• well if your job is sole stand in the dressing room than you didn't have to do that. You had to stay at your post and you could of said no.

• I mean it's not rude, because you do work there. Trust me I feel your pain, I once worked in retail and I was annoyed. Usually the customer would go get it because I couldn't leave the fittings, however it is the employees job to help the customer.

• It ALSO depends the tone, i was more than "happy" to get something for a customer when they were cheerful and nice.

• No it's quite normal for sales people to get it, when you're in the dressing room.

• It is totally normal for the sales people to go get clothes in stores in New Zealand to. Maybe in the USA or wherever she is from it is different?

• retail customers sometimes think we work for them. I don't know whats up with that. but its a little rude.

• Lazy yes, rude not so much. I worked at Dillard's and that was part of our job description

• some customers can be really rude towards workers

• I would say it's rude since she can easily go get it herself. Or she could've asked you nicely from the start instead of automatically expecting it.

• Yes it was

• Not rude because you work there and are meant to help customers.

• I don't think so. She's pretty much asking you to do your job, I guess.

• Some stores have the assistants get clothes. She may have thought it was one of those if you were in the dressing room.

• Yea they were being bitches but yes you should've volunteered to retrieve the item.

• I have worked in retail many years. When I worked at Target's fitting room, I had people ask me this. I was honestly not allowed to leave the switchboard/phone area, and tried explaining this to them. That's besides the point, I think customers think just because we work there, we do anything for them. I wouldn't take it personally, if I could leave that area I'd grab it quickly for them, since I would know where it was.