Since when did cute become a bad word?

I just feel like I see on here a lot, both guys and girls having utter hate for the word cute and I don't get it. Guys think it's the kiss of death if a girl calls him cute. Girls think being called cute means the guy sees you as a child. Or, if she's short thinks her being called cute is because of that. I just don't get what the big deal is. If I call you cute, it's compliment. If someone calls me cute, I take it as a compliment because it is.

So, what's with the all the hate for being called cute? What's the big deal?

Most Helpful Guy

• Cute? that's not a bad word, surely not. However you are right, I also don't like being called as cute.

• Can I ask why not?

• Hence in short if people do call me something other than cute I try to say at least" OKAY", if not more.

• I understand, I'm not confident and so I understand what you mean. I say thank you to peoples compliments but I don't truly believe it. I've had too much negativity to appreciate the positivity. So, I get it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I always take being called cute as a compliment. When it comes to the guy I like, though, I get a little nervous. I start to wonder, "Am I not pretty enough to be called pretty and not cute?" "How cute am I?" "Am I average cute (ex: he might have been put on the spot and just said that)?" "Am I adorable cute?" "Am I pretty/beautiful cute?" Cute can mean just about anything when it comes to attractiveness. That's why I get worried. I just wonder if he just sees me as a throwaway kind of cute or if he really really thinks I'm cute, but in more of a pretty or beautiful kind of way. I still take it as a compliment no matter what though. It's never a bad thing to be called cute. I just always wonder what kind of cute I am to the person.

What Guys Said 4

• If I call a girl cute it's because I don't like the word hot and I'm saying that she's sexy and hot and it's even better if she has a fiery personality

Makes me drool lol

• That's just full of bullshit! I use the word "cute" to describe newborn babies, girls, no matter how old they are and no matter what traits they have: shy, beautiful, honest, loving, affection. Especially shy!

• Yup. Just a compliment. People just get mad at anything these days.

• I don't mind being called cute. But I much prefer being called hot.

What Girls Said 7

• It's not that's it's become a bad word but as a grown up I think it just doesn't sit well.

It's fine when you're five and someone calls you cute but not really as an adult.

I personally don't hate it but there's plenty of words in the dictionary that people can use instead of cute. I'd rather they don't. To be honest though, that's probably one of the most used words for me (it's annoying but hey what can you do)

• being called cute makes me feel like a kid... and my height doesn't do me any favor neither -_-

• I'd rather be called pretty, or attractive, or compellingly beautiful to the point of bringing someone to tears or like hot or something.

• I actually would take it as a compliment. ;o;

• I actually take pride of being 'cute'.
    Because they will then know not to mess with me.

Lol, I kid.

• I hate when a guy I like says it, because I don't know if he's saying that because I'm short with a baby face, and remind him of a little sis or something or if he means cute cute...

• I guess the older the girls are the less they want to be called cute. And guys don't like it because they think it's too girly to be called cute, or at least some equivalent. I prefer being called cute over something girls my age want to hear like hot or sexy, they just don't appeal to me. But a compliment is s compliment. If you give me one I will take it and thank you sincerely.