Do American schools only teach Nazi attrocities but not too much about Japanese attrocities during WWll?

For instance in 6th grade, we were all taught about Nazi brutality, the Diary of Anne Frank, the concentration camps, Hitler, Schindler's List and even shown a movie of how starving victims looked. From grades 8th all the way till my junior year of HS, same thing. The textbook would tell in details what was done in Germany at the time.

However, when it comes to Japanese attrocities the only thing learned was the attack on Pearl Harbor and a brief explanation about them invading Manchuria (China) but not full details nor videos about the brutality done towards the Chinese and others, esp the Nanking Massacre. I had to learn about the Nanking Massacre on my own through the use of the Internet off course.

Why only teach one attrocity done but not little about the other (and if explained, it's only a brief section).

Also in 6th grade, we weren't taught about general Isoroku Yamamoto. I had to also search that online later on.
I believe if you're going to teach history, don't just focus on one part, explain it as a whole.

Most Helpful Guy

• Ya, thats about what i learned in school... Learned about jap attrocities on the history channel.. U know george bush came close to being cannobalized by the japs... I think its because of "guilt" from the attomic bomb... But they were hardcore on their principles, they didn't surrender after the first one... Never judge a military operation from an armchair -jason bourne movies... Lol

• That's what I think too. The US is going a kind of softer with the Japanese attrocities because they basically already nuke the heck out of them twice but didn't get to do that with Germany.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's how all countries are.
    History is written by the winners. They tell their side and they're always the good guys.

What Guys Said 10

• I'm an old fart and we didn't learn about WW2 at all in school. It wasn't even in many of the history books yet.

But anyway, it may be like most other things in history. The US is basically a European expansion, so European history is also our history. As such, we learn history from a more Eurocentric perspective.

I did a mini online survey on this several years ago. History follows a path to our modern world. People from pretty much everywhere said the same thing. They continue studying the countries and culture on the path to their own country/culture, even when the countries along that path no longer have much influence and their own society. We just identify with it more, so we continue to study it more.

• In high school we briefly covered ww2. It was focused more on the nazi atrocities, and we didn't really cover the role Japan played in the war, with the exception of pearl harbor, nagasaki and hiroshima.

• Yeah learned very little about what they did to China. It was just "China and Japan fought in world war 2 and earlier" for me. Had to learn about most of it from research and... old Chinese movies.

• American schools teach you whatever the hell they like. Bet American kids are taught america is full of saints and the country just wants world peace and for everybody to hold hands. What a load of shite. Propaganda. The jews and the americans are the world's saints according to the education system. Everybody else is subhuman and backwards. Americans and jews were and still are evil bastards and the worst shower of liars on the planet

• way to be a raging antisemite there

• A country of 64 million people full of scum. I've got more faith in humanity than that

• @Waffles731 your just naive that's all. 64 million people don't make any decisions. Fairys in suits do. Paedos in Saville row tailoring and stupid wigs decide what happens over here. The most morally corrupt scum on the face of the planet standing in judgment of millions. Your senate is the same and the supreme court and the administration and the economy and all the business apparatus. They all scheme together. They start wars and reap the whirlwind for profit whilst innocents lie mangled on the ground in their millions. Why can't young people see this. There's no countries or democracy, just a smoke screen for the biggest heist in human history and businessmen from your country and others around the world are behind it. Why do you think they pay billions to fund campaigns to get presidents into the white house. Try and think before you answer

• Just about yeah. Post public school though, what I was taught most wasn't the attocities that the Japanese committed but rather the atrocities committed on the Japanese-Americans by the American government

• The only thing I was taught in history class in high school about the Japanese was the Japanese immigrants in America during World War 2 were taken away from their homes and put into concentration camps

• Only if American schools taught about American atrocities.

• Germany got dismembered by the allies and shamed.

Japanese crimes got swept under the rug as their research got handed over to the Americans.

• Because telling you about Japanese atrocities doesn't make you feel guilt over any thoughts of opposing mass immigration from third world countries. Never mind that they don't teach you about the atrocities committed by the US, Britain and Russia during and after WW2.

• American history is barely history.

What Girls Said 6

• You didn't know? America is excellent at revisioning history and being highly selective about how bad they'll make themselves look to young American minds.

• I took AP US History and we def covered it. I didn't know about unit 731 until later. I can understand why they didn't teach that in high school though.

• school history is sadly incomplete. In my 8th grade history class, we just skimmed the Civil War, which is sad because it is still a highly debated topic to this day. And the victors were the only ones really taught about, when both sides are important. *sigh* as a history buff it really annoys me.

• When I was in school they taught us about both German and Japanese atrocities. I thought everyone learned about both.

• I learned the same things as you in 6th grade. I didn't learn of the rape of Nanking until my mom told me about it.

• yeah, it sucks how they're one sided. I'm willing to bet several Japanese girls had diaries just like Anne Frank would write.

• that's probably true... :(

• Yes, this is totally true. For example the comfort women act is such a disgusting and big part of history, but I didn't even know about it until I went to a museum dedicated specifically to violations of human rights. North American education is very one-sided.

• I'm going to assume that it must because since the US dropped the two nukes on them (and then off course, helped them rebuilt their country), it wants to go a kind of softer on them by not disposing all the sordid details like the way it was said about Germany.
      Still, it should have been disposed as what it is.