Respect is earned not given?

Whats your definition of this saying? And do you agree with it?

• I agree
  • I dont agree

Most Helpful Guy

• A basic amount of respect should be given to everyone a person meets but full respect must be earned through the actions of a person.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it should be given first!!! Then you can either lose it, re-earn it or multiply it !

What Guys Said 32

• Who is going to disrespect people they don't know?
    You have to give people "respect credit" until they earned it.
    Otherwise you won't get respect yourself before people know you enough.

I propose: "DISrespect is earned not given."

See the difference?

But there's a BIG difference between respecting persons and respecting opinions or acts.

• There is basic decency, "the benefit of the doubt", and whatnot, but real respect comes when earned.

• It means to get respect you have to prove you are worthy of it. That you can be trusted and all that kind of stuff. I agree with it to a certain extent. I think everyone deserves basic respect in the way of not having others being rude, not being bullied and having others being polite to them. However, I feel respect on a much stronger level than that has to be earned.

• So basic respect should be given automatically but respect on a deep level has to be earned.

• I agree and I live by that rule I give no one my respect I won't disrespect them of course but I don't give respect unless it's earned.

• Disagree.

Even if the person in question is not worthy of respect, that still doesn't mean that their position itself isn't worthy of respect. Hence why I think parents, priests, educators, senior citizens, judges, veterans, and civil servants among other groups are entitled to respect even if they are personally lousy people, because their position is at least worthy of respect.

I wouldn't dream of disrespecting an old person no matter how unpleasant they were, nor anyone in a position of hierarchy. It is necessary for the stability of society. I agree with Confucius in that regard.

• Respect is earned. If you give it before they earn it, they can play you around cause they know they don't have to prove themselves, they automatically see themselves one step above you, cause that's how you've made them see it when you gave respect instead of making them earn it.

• Respect is earned. Sure, people give away common courtesy and respect by standard usually, but that doesn't change that you really get respected for your capabilities. You get respect by proving yourself worthy of that.

It is a similiar principle with trust. Sure, people will give you some basic trust and the benefit of a doubt, but ultimatively you have to earn and you can lose it.

• I don't agree, you should respect everyone untill someone makes it impossible for you to respect him/her

• Respect is the natural state. It is not earned. It is forfeited.

• Respect... what about diplomacy? There's a difference you know

When your talking about respect having to be earned... in my opinion it only applies with people you want to impress and like you... I mean think about it

Earning something takes work so from my own experiences "earning respect" applies to people I look up too and would want to accept me... not those who I don't like

Now diplomacy is the true definition of respect

In simple terms
    I stay on my side and you on yours
    I leave you alone and vice versa

• Everyone is given a certain amount of respect, which is just common decency.

Anything beyond that must be earned.

• Also: "if you have to demand respect, then you haven't earned it"

• you want it? get off your sorry ass and earn it.

• I think there are levels to respect:

1, The basic level you show to all

2, The profound level of respect you show to people who are true to you, and love you

• No, I give everyone respect by default, but they can lose it very quickly.

• That sounds so close to what my psych professor told us the first day about trust. He said he automatically gives someone his trust but once they break it good luck in getting it back.

• @Hwlsop ya i'm like that too pretty much.

• There's a certain thing which is basic human respect.

Then there is the sort of respect that is earned.

They have the same name, but are different things.

• Couldnt have said it better myself!!!

• The basic level/form of respect is generally given, it'll be lost or more will be gained depending on what the person does.

• Whats your definition of this saying? And do you agree with it?

^^ totally didn't read the description :x

Well, based on how that I do not completely agree nor do I disagree.

• I disagree. Some basic respect should be part of who you are. Further respect is earned.

• depends to the extent that you respect a person, some might respect because of a certain position a person holds, which can be counted as earned, formality is based around respect id say. otherwise there is a basic level i show to everyone unless they lose it.

• I agree :)

• You don't earn respect you take respect. You force it out of someone. It's an involuntary thing and it hard to get

• Yush Agreed.

• You earn my respect by respecting me and yourself I'm not gonna respect someone who doesn't respect me

• Peope are dick heads until proven otherwise. I only respect people after they have shown through action that they are worth my trust and time.

• So when you meet someone you don't know you shouldn't respect them? That is kind of ridiculous.

• Just love and respect people first and stay away from others that hurt you.

• It might depend on what the respect is for, but typically yes.

• Prove to me you deserve respect, don't expect respect be shown just because.

• Respect should be given to anyone because it can define who someone really is.

• You gots to earn that respect.

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 13

• I kinda agree and I kinda disagree.

We all need respect since the beginning, but if you do something to make people unrespect you, then you need to earn it again lol

I mean, I respect everyone, but actions can change that.

Hopefully you understood XD

• I agree. You have to give respect in order to get it. I was raised to be respectful to everyone. I was also raised to have enough respect for myself to cut others off that don't respect me. Respect is a two-way street. Give and take. You can't go around expecting respect from people and not giving any in return.

• I remember when I was 18. I tried to join a prayer group. I told them I had 11 psychological disorders at the same time from being abused by my parents, a brain tumour and a history of epilepsy. They kicked me out of the prayer group because I was asking them for prayer without doing anything to earn their respect first. Later on the president of the prayer group got his friends together to pray that bad things would happen to me because I insulted one of his friends. While the pastor of that prayer group threatened to file criminal charges against me for harassment because I sent him a 50 word e-mail asking for prayer. He told me he hated me and did not want to pray for me and then tried to bait me into bothering him for prayer so that he would have an excuse to file a report against me for harassment. This is why I hate people who say you have to earn their respect before they will treat you like a human being and not like an ape.

• i kind agree with both statements, i think people deserve your respect until the do something to loose it. then they must work to earn it back.

• Well, I mostly respect everyone until they give me a reason not to. And unfortunately a lot of people give me a reason not to REALLY fast.

• Respect is definitely earned, you need to respect others in order for them to respect you... one should not simply be like "oh I'm the older one so I demand to be respected".

• I never could understand older people who have a grudge against younger people and treat them like shit. There is no way younger people are going to respect them because of this and they say it's because the young have no respect for the old.

• I give it but if the person disrespects me I completely just don't give a shit and treat them the way they treat me. And if I get that weird bitchy asshole vibe, I mostly just don't respect you at all.

• I always give people respect until they give me reason not to. Then they have to earn it back.

• DUHHHH!!! WHAT Kinda of apple garbage is this! OF COURSE!

• Why would you not have respect for someone you don't know?
    I respect everyone till they disrespect me. Unless they do something I find completely repulsive.

• You give respect to everyone, until they do something to loose it. And then they have to earn it back. That's good humanity.

• You give respect to get respect. That's the way I was taught.

• I always give people respect till they give me a reason not to.