Is there a nice way to tell someone to stop hugging you?

There's this guy at work and I think he's gross. He has this condition called acne keloidasis nuchae and it's a bunch or inflamed red lumps on the back of his neck. It's one of those things that you can't stop looking at and just seeing it makes me itchy.

He doesn't seem very hygeniec. He's a fat guy and I've seen him rub food and salts on his belly. His clothes never look washed and he has a sour smell. I don't know if the smell is from him being fat and unable to clean himself properly or from the stuff on his neck that may be filled with pus.

I've only worked with him three times and for some reason he feels comfortable hugging me when greeting me, and poking my sides or touching my arms. He's always hovering over me and being really annoying when I'm with a customer. He keeps on trying to upsell to people and cheat the customer's he doesn't like by charging them for a larger sized drink than they ordered.

I'm going to tell him to stop bothering me and tend to his own customers, I'm going to tell him to stop touching me and respect my space, but I don't know a nice way to tell him to stop hugging me. I don't want to be rude, but I want him to leave me alone.

Most Helpful Guy

• Tell him in a very blunt way that he should not be trying to screw customers over and that is an infringement. That should crush the relaxed space he feels around you.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's one of those situations where it might come off as mean anyway, but you have to be assertive, if you want him to stop. Just ask politely, but you at least you tried not to be mean.

What Guys Said 3

• This sort of touching by anyone is not appropriate, especially in the workplace. You have to tell him straight. Be emphatic that your guy doesn't like it either!

• "Sorry, I'm not comfortable with physical contact (or that you prefer personal space)." It doesn't make him insecure and it's common for people to be that way so he wouldn't think much about it.

• Just tell him politely you don't like to be touched and that it is inappropriate in the workplace. If he won't stop, mention it to HR.

What Girls Said 3

• You can tell him you don't like to be touched and that you both should focus on your job X

• "I don't think hugging is very professional, and while I appreciate the thought, I would like you to please stop."

• Tell him you need your "personal space" that you aren't comfortable with others in close proximity in the work environment. If he's smart he'll back off or you can get him for sexual harassment.

• PS. You poor thing! That is so gross!

• Lol a "toucher" but it's good that you got it to stop. I don't want to come off as rude because there are people I work with that I do hug, because everyone there is like a family. It's just I'm not like that with him.

• Some people relate in a more physical way. I find it a distraction and poor work ethic. If I want to hug someone it will be a family member.